Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

He's already shown what he can do in our shirt, those claiming he isn't good enough or worse have very short memories or only have the ability to rate a player directly after a game. He was quiet yesterday but he has also shown his class for us.

I don't think AP is convinced by him judging by the games he's picked to play and when he substitute's him... Hopefully he'll impose himself on a game more in his 2nd season but Guthrie is still looking the better player so far...

I really rate him and thought he was decent earlier in the season.  Not sure if he's lost form and confidence, but he was dire in the games against Anji. 

He was invisible last night, bar his reckless challenge that possibly could have been a red.  Too often, the game just seems to pass him by.  Even with Tiote in his poor current form, I don't see how Anita could replace him.  Doesn't get stuck in, doesn't impose himself and he doesn't get on the ball enough.  Maybe Pards is misusing him, I'm not sure.

I'd rather see Jonas in the middle, or Sissoko deeper, with Marv as the attacking midfielder.  Jonas impressed in the middle and he looked good there last season. 

He's been a pretty underwhelming signing so far. Not skilful enough to be a playmaker, not physical enough to be a defensive mid. Invisible a lot of the time. Not going to be a regular source of goals. His passing, much lauded on here, doesn't seem anything above average to me.

I really want to be proved wrong and wont give up on him yet, but his few decent-to-good games have not justified the outlay.

He's been a pretty underwhelming signing so far. Not skilful enough to be a playmaker, not physical enough to be a defensive mid. Invisible a lot of the time. Not going to be a regular source of goals. His passing, much lauded on here, doesn't seem anything above average to me.

I really want to be proved wrong and wont give up on him yet, but his few decent-to-good games have not justified the outlay.

This...

I think Southampton & Stoke away he hit a little form and one of the home games... Wigan maybe... But other than that I've seen nothing other than some nice technique in flashes...

Think he might is falling into the trap of not having a defined role or position in the team that really suits him. He isn't really the box-to-box player as he's been used. You can clearly see he doesn't take that many chances to make a dribble. By heart he seems a defensive midfielder, there to recycle posession and intercept attacks. But lately, we've mostly played him with Tiote, wich lands him in no mans land when it comes to comfortableness in role. As he's been told to get forward. When he plays with Cabaye it seems like he's told to be that link man between cabaye and the upfield players, when he really should take that deep role and let Cabaye get some more freedom to find space higher up the pitch.

But can't really blame Pardew in the question, as Tiote is a pure defensive midfielder, and Cabaye has played all his life in that deep playmaker role. Both at Lille and for the french national squad, it's evident that he knows the role. So the big question then is, where does it leave Anita? An expenssive backup for Cabaye? Or just an uncomfortable utility player to have in and around the squad?

Given Tiote's form this season I think this lad is starting to be criminally overlooked tbh. What's the point in having competition for places when bad performances don't lead to a player losing their place in the team?

Pardew can't risk this winning formula. :thup:

Was hoping he'd come on for Haidara yesterday, would have been the logical swap imo and he's looked decent there in the past.  But nah, fuck that, bring on another DM when we're looking to pull a goal back and shift Jonas to LB. :thup: