Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

I reckon he's a canny player. A definite improvement on Perch or Jonas and hopefully that's not read as damning with faint praise. He looks very decent as fullback cover too.

As with Tiote, I'm sure he'll improve on the ball as Cabaye, Mou, HBA and Gouff offer more options than he's had in games earlier in the season.

I do think there is merit to physical presence in the PL though, as cliched as it sounds. Anita is class but he doesn't stand a chance when the ball's pinging around everywhere.

as far as the first XI goes thats a point, however it also relies on tiote returning to what he was, if not then i'd put anita in. my only concern at the minute regarding anita is he seems to be caught for a bit strength and stamina, something i'm sure will come when he's used to the prem, in fact i'm confident we'll see a different anita next season.

Pardew clearly hasn't got the first idea how to utilise Anita. Don't know why we persist with a manager unable to get the best out of our assets.

Doesn't kick it long enough, doesn't put enough of a "tackle in" therefore doesn't get a game.

Pardew clearly hasn't got the first idea how to utilise Anita. Don't know why we persist with a manager unable to get the best out of our assets.

Doesn't kick it long enough, doesn't put enough of a "tackle in" therefore doesn't get a game.

i think anita would get more of a game if pardew wasn't so wary of the full backs getting caught out, as santon was a few times tonight. i still see him as a possibility of a middle three with sissoko and cabaye but only when both anita and sissoko have the strength to really get through a premier league game.

i think anita would get more of a game if pardew wasn't so wary of the full backs getting caught out, as santon was a few times tonight. i still see him as a possibility of a middle three with sissoko and cabaye but only when both anita and sissoko have the strength to really get through a premier league game.

What I don't understand is Anita has more than enough pace to recover better than the Mad Destroyer

What I don't understand is Anita has more than enough pace to recover better than the Mad Destroyer

pace maybe but not the nouse. i feel that tiote is trying to impress and is trying too hard. tiote of old was the perfect coverer, not so sure now.

I do think there is merit to physical presence in the PL though, as cliched as it sounds. Anita is class but he doesn't stand a chance when the ball's pinging around everywhere.

Maybe to a certain point, but I always use the makelele example, one of the smallest players to had ever graced the prem and of the best if not the best to had ever played in that defensive holding midfield role.

Midfield three of Cabaye, Tiote & Anita would sit well with me.

Tiote's physicality & defensive workrate, Anita' run & carry, and Cabaye's passing range & playmaking qualities. A balanced skillset (as a midfield unit) on offer, i'd be happy with that.

Probably deployed as a 1-2, with Anita & Cabs slightly more advanced on either side. Tiote sitting deep with the cardio & workrate to cover the fbs (who would add width).