Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

I've always had a lot of time for him, I think he's suffered this season for various reasons. Hopefully next season he'll be part if a possession based team and he can really get into the swing of it (I know, I know). I still think he'd be good alongside Cabaye and Tiote as the middle man.

Lovely little footballer.

Yep.

his versatility is holding him back a bit if anything. The fact he can do a decent/good job in 3 or 4 positions means he's been used as a fire-fighting role this season. Like - "Fuck, player X has gone off, get Anita on and he'll just keep things ticking over there and we're no worse off."

Needs, and deserves, a run in the middle of the park to establish himself in the XI.

Lovely little footballer.

Yep.

his versatility is holding him back a bit if anything. The fact he can do a decent/good job in 3 or 4 positions means he's been used as a fire-fighting role this season. Like - "Fuck, player X has gone off, get Anita on and he'll just keep things ticking over there and we're no worse off."

Needs, and deserves, a run in the middle of the park to establish himself in the XI.

Agree. Until he has a consistent run in the team in his favoured position it's too soon to judge imo. Dekka is a fan apparently.

I've always had a lot of time for him, I think he's suffered this season for various reasons. Hopefully next season he'll be part if a possession based team and he can really get into the swing of it (I know, I know). I still think he'd be good alongside Cabaye and Tiote as the middle man.

We certainly won't see the best of him unless we do see a pretty radical transformation in playing style.

Personally feel that he can still be worked into the line up but the style of play needs to be changed.

Firstly we need to play 4-3-3 and he needs be the one infront of the back 4 and then have 2 in front of him ( preferably Cabaye and Sissoko)

I don't believe we can get consistent performances from him in a 4-2-3-1 i know the differences are not massively different on paper but i believe it would effect him a lot in reality.

Lovely footballer but doesn't really fit into how we set up as of now, its been said before but how Leon Britton plays for Swansea he could do easily and with Cabaye and Sissoko in front of him instead of De Guzman and Ki.

I still hold hope that Pardew has some sort of plan for him.

Unsure of him at DM in the PL.

Me too, I really like his style of play and I hate the cliche about the physical nature of the English game, but I fear there is a bit of truth to it. He can't complete against quite a lot of CMs in the league.

Support from Cabaye and Sissoko might mitigate that a bit, but it's still a concern.

I think he looks short of confidence and I'm not surprised; he was one of our best players throughout that awful November/December/early January losing run and found himself dropped whilst much greater culprits remained in the team.

He'll come good, I just hope it's with NUFC.

Me too, I really like his style of play and I hate the cliche about the physical nature of the English game, but I fear there is a bit of truth to it. He can't complete against quite a lot of CMs in the league.

Support from Cabaye and Sissoko might mitigate that a bit, but it's still a concern.

Cabaye, as agressive as he is only compounds that problem at times. I honestly don't think (with everyone fit) there's any additional room for players lacking physical presence. A hell of a lot of our 'good' players who we all want on the field often get bullied off the ball and don't compete for set pieces.

If anything him at fullback has been better than him at midfield. He isn't imposing enough, and I will stick my neck out and say it's not due to the physical nature of the league, it's due to him not having adapted well enough to play fast football. His first touch is at times terrible and he plays so many wrong passes because it feels like he rushes stuff when he notices he doesn't have enough time. If he can adapt to the league then I can definitely see him being a success but as of now the £8m price tag is looking more down to versatility than quality in my opinion at least.

Cabaye, as agressive as he is only compounds that problem at times. I honestly don't think (with everyone fit) there's any additional room for players lacking physical presence. A hell of a lot of our 'good' players who we all want on the field often get bullied off the ball and don't compete for set pieces.

Was thinking about this yesterday at the match, Haidara should help?

Agreed. I do like how Tiote & Perch can compete in the air, Tiote in particular has a lot more presence in midfield. Marv has to play with freedom or centrally. Cabaye has to start obviously. No room for a man the size of Vernon in midfield imo.

Haidara may help, but I've really not seen enough of the lad to say. Thought he looks like he has a bit of power about him.

Thing is, I think with everyone available 5 of the front 6 picks itself, leaving a choice between Tiote, Marveaux and Anita for that last midfield spot. I can't think of too many games in which Anita would get the nod. He looks handy at FB to be fair to him.

I think it's a massive step up in power from Santon/Simpson to Haidara/Debuchy. Although to be fair I also don't think I've seen enough of Haidara to say he should get the nod. I agree with the 5 players picking themselves. I'd be happy to upgrade Tiote and let Anita/Marveuax push the first team for competition.

Haidara may help, but I've really not seen enough of the lad to say. Thought he looks like he has a bit of power about him.

Thing is, I think with everyone available 5 of the front 6 picks itself, leaving a choice between Tiote, Marveaux and Anita for that last midfield spot. I can't think of too many games in which Anita would get the nod. He looks handy at FB to be fair to him.

:thup:

I'd play Tiote out of that lot against the top sides and possibly Marveaux against sides of lower end of the table. Anita for me is nothing more than a versatile bench player at the moment, I hope he'll do better but he just hasn't shown that much this season to pick him ahead of Marv or Tiote imo.

Slowly developing a group of quality players who you wouldn't necessarily have in a first eleven next season, but will probably play a good percentage of games and wouldn't have an issue with. Players like Anita, Marveaux, Haidara, Gouffran.

True. It's almost as if we're shaping up to being in Europe next season or something :lol:

Slowly developing a group of quality players who you wouldn't necessarily have in a first eleven next season, but will probably play a good percentage of games and wouldn't have an issue with. Players like Anita, Marveaux, Haidara, Gouffran.

If our reserves were as good as that we would have one of the best squads I can remember. They are all potential first team players well into the top half of the league IMO.

Yeah, it's really positive for the future I think. After all this time we might actually become a club with quality on the bench.