Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Still baffles me that he was signed for that amount when we've got one quality winger in the entire squad.

I do like him a lot but i do agree doesn't really fit the needs of the squad and what Pardew needs.

Versatility. Cover for Simpson at RB when the Debuchy deal failed and also as an option in central midfield when we only had Tiote and Cabaye.

If he was English he'd get a dog's abuse on here. Because he's from Ajax, has played for the national side and cost a few quid every tidy pass he makes gets a tick in the box. I really want to like him but he just never ever imposes himself on games and when he does see a lot of the ball he's Scott Parker-esque without the occasional beaut.

Agree with all of this. His signing never made sense and nearly a season has passed and we are still figuring out what to do with him. We were crying out for other positions to be filled and by the time they were our season was already over.

I reckon Anita must have come so highly recommended by the club's scouts that they made a special allowance that time and spent the money at the expense of the areas that really needed reinforcements. Perhaps they thought they were getting such a good player it was worth it. Had that money just been spent on someone we needed, such as Debuchy, or Sissoko, or Gouffran, they'd have walked into the first team back in August and plugged a major gap. Easy to say in hindsight, but many said it at the time.

You can see Anita has attributes such as a good touch, pace, workrate. It's obvious he will struggle in physical battles due to his size but he seems to lack ideas on the ball, as you said. We were told he'd be quite the opposite, a clever ball playing midfielder and a link man between defence and midfield. You sense we have seen nowhere near the best of him then, and I hope he will come good once he has a full season under his belt. As things stand, you struggle to see whose position he is going to challenge and he may end up becoming an expensive utility player. I hope he can show us more than he has and prove me wrong.

We were told he'd be quite the opposite, a ball playing midfielder and a link man between defence and midfield.

in that period when everyone except him was shit he was playing much higher and his pace, movement and forward passing were key

not lost hope for him personally but like a few others needs to be deployed right or he's fucked

A little harsh to say the money should have been spent elsewhere - if Anita had been amongst a collection of signings, it would have made more sense. He's a decent squad player who did his best to carry us in Cabaye's absence. I would agree that none of us seem to know what he's best for, though. Manager included.

He doesn't look strong enough for the DM role, not in the Premiership anyway, and he doesn't look skilful or quick enough to be a good attacking midfielder down the centre. He looks a useful utility player, but not much else.

I think he did OK last night, he struggles for a role when Cabaye is also playing. I wouldn't play him as a DM in the Prem, but alongside Tiote he could be a CM who keeps the play moving.

It's annoying when he can't compete physically, but that's never going to change. I like the idea of finding a role for such a classy player.

I've mentioned it earlier, he falls a little bit into nomansland in regard of position. Ajax were playing totally different to what we are with two deep laying midfielders. Retaining posession he is extremely good at. Can make difficult passes aswell as easy ones all day. But right now he is sharing space with the more known Cabaye and they are sharing a duty wich should be taken by one player. In my opinion Cabaye should play further up the pitch and draw sissoko a little bit further back so you've got Vurnon in behind them as an option alongside the centrebacks.

Cabaye is also alot better at those adventerous passes whilst Vurnon seems a little bit more reserved when it comes to try something, mostly because I think he's been coached in Ajax by needs of his position to NEVER LOOSE THE BALL. As he would be the last man before their backline. This would also free up Cabaye to do more of the sexy stuff we all know he can do. But the cost really is, we would have one less man back there right infront of the backline at times. And could be vulnerable on the counter.

A solution is offcourse to have a centreback to do the mopping up and vurnon covering, wich I think he is capable of. The lad is quite fast.

I really thought he was poor last night. He just doesn't seem to be penetrative enough with the ball and for someone who is so well schooled you'd expect him to look less nervous when on the ball. He rarely seems to win a stand up challenge either. I think he could become a good player given time and despite saying all this he did have a brief run in the team where he looked a proper player. Just haven't seen much of that recently when he's been given the chance.

Hoping well see a different Anita next season, with some time to review himself and see what needs to work on. Many good players have struggled in their first season, he's a young lad who doesn't have the physical side that can allow him to adapt as quick as others.

Agree with many on here who don't see where he fits as of now- I'm just going to look at him positively for now though. There's a great and smart footballer in there that needs more time to adapt than others. Hopefully we see that next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we think he'll be here next season?... I'm hoping he gets one more season to show something but i don't think the current management fancy him in midfield and it's hard to argue with them after the majority of performances...

Do we think he'll be here next season?... I'm hoping he gets one more season to show something but i don't think the current management fancy him in midfield and it's hard to argue with them after the majority of performances...

He'll do well in the Championship.

I hope he's here. He's a very useful player in the right set-up. However, if Ashley is content with the status quo management, Anita will never fully fit-in. So if Pardew is here for the long haul, there's not use in keeping Anita with Tiote, Perch, Jonas, and Bigirimana all fitting Pardew's "style" better.

He doesn't look strong enough for the DM role, not in the Premiership anyway, and he doesn't look skilful or quick enough to be a good attacking midfielder down the centre. He looks a useful utility player, but not much else.

http://www.thefootballsocial.co.uk/images/players/swansea%20city/Leon%20Britton.jpg

He's the main reason why I don't think Pardew has much say over the transfers. From what i saw from him, he picks the ball up from defence and starts attacks.

He's rarely been asked to do that here.

Yep :thup:

Tbh i see no reason why under the right coach we couldn't do that with Cabaye and Sissoko in front, oh well.