Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

think he's more suited to a 3 man mid myself, only thing is if partnered with Tiote in a 4-2-3-1 that becomes quite defensive, should be playing higher up pitch. Tiote, Anita and a playmaker would be ideal imo.

We played counter attacking on Saturday, him and tiote acting as pivots to pass the ball onto Sissoko and Gouffran who took the ball up the pitch, ask them to play a more possession game with just the two of them and they'd struggle and frequently be outnumbered in the middle. I did like the 4-4-2 we had on saturday mind, counter attacking but not exactly defensive either, we surged forward with genuine menace for once.

Agree :thup:

I doubted he could put a performance like that played in a 2 man mid with Tiote but he was by far and away the best player on the pitch on Saturday. When he's in that kind of form, he's a pleasure to watch. His composure on the ball is just sublime and up with the best we've had. So pleased for him when he popped up with his goal :love:

This guy could so easily have been frozen out of the team.

Such a great attitude and just kept with it, and kept working hard.

Top professional. Like him as the box to box guy, with Tiote just staying put.

He probably performed better than at any time this season in a game when he was taken off (cheers Pards) - second half against Man City - as one of a three rather than two.

I'm sure we'd have got something from that game if Butthead hadn't pressed the panic button by hooking Vurn for Cisse.

He was absolutely pissing the midfield in the second half on Saturday, honestly can't recall him wasting the ball once.

What I like about him most is the way he recycles the second ball; something I noticed on Saturday is that his first touch is usually a pass to someone in space. Most of the time he doesn't even need a touch before he passes it; it just speeds up our play and gives the receiver of the ball that bit longer to do something useful with it.

I think someone hit the nail on the head earlier when they said that sometimes he's one step ahead of everyone else.  It's really fun to watch him spray passes around but they sometimes don't hit their mark - but not by any fault of his own.  We need to get more players on the pitch that can read it as quickly as him.  Also the more he plays the more the other players will expect certain passes. 

I've been a huge advocate of Anita's for a long time and I'm glad to see it all finally coming to fruition for him here at Newcastle.

Read The Sun today *shudder* tbf to them he made their team of the week and was the star man in the game. Normally papers like that Would give Sissoko MOTM and Anita might have managed a 6/10.

Read The Sun today *shudder* tbf to them he made their team of the week and was the star man in the game. Normally papers like that Would give Sissoko MOTM and Anita might have managed a 6/10.

Genuinely shocked they didn't do exactly that tbh.

Anyway with Anita due to his size you just need to make sure there is numbers around him and he will shine.

Despite the fact we played 442 where he genuinely usually struggles this time was a little different, De Jong was dropping deep, the wide players were coming inside and the fullbacks were providing width thus always providing an option.

Simple stuff but still shocking it actually happened as there is usually massive holes through out the team but not this time.

Makes a change for once.

Anita's football brain is far superior to most in the squad - evidenced by some of those moves he's part of when he is on the pitch. His ability to turn and play reverse balls or quick up-field passes to feet is outstanding tbh. Said it for ages.

All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is see you eyes

Anita, Anita

I never thought that a girl like you could ever care for me, Anita

All I wanna do in the middle of the evening is hold you tight

Anita, Anita

I didn't know you were looking for more than I could ever be

Meet you all the way, meet you all the way, Anita

All I wanna do when I wake up in the morning is see you eyes

Anita, Anita

I never thought that a girl like you could ever care for me, Anita

All I wanna do in the middle of the evening is hold you tight

Anita, Anita

I didn't know you were looking for more than I could ever be

Not sure that song made it to the UK, unfortunately.  One of the best American songs ever written.

He was absolutely pissing the midfield in the second half on Saturday, honestly can't recall him wasting the ball once.

What I like about him most is the way he recycles the second ball; something I noticed on Saturday is that his first touch is usually a pass to someone in space. Most of the time he doesn't even need a touch before he passes it; it just speeds up our play and gives the receiver of the ball that bit longer to do something useful with it.

This is what I think has lead to the 'makes us tick' cliché. It's a very good skill, particularly on the counter.

Interesting couple of lines in the Journal today in an article about Anita.

"Twelve months ago the jury was out on him, not least among Newcastle's coaching brains trust.

The Journal understands that one of the reasons James Perch was sold despite Pardew's exhortations to hand him a new contract was because Mike Ashley had been advised that Anita was being under-used."