Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

Guest JamesyJazz

I think he's a good footballer but he's no goals in him and there's been nowt in his career to suggest he'll get goals at this level either. Improvement on Shola but we need to do better.

I think he's a good footballer but he's no goals in him and there's been nowt in his career to suggest he'll get goals at this level either. Improvement on Shola but we need to do better.

Have to agree. It's a shame he's lost that confidence and ability he showed early on at Twente, but based on his performances so far for us, and his time in Germany, it's hard to see him ever being consistently good enough at this level. I expected much better from him, but I stand corrected.

I think there's a good player in there but he looks mentally weak. Too happy to sit back on his heels and leave the goal scoring to others.

Have to agree. It's a shame he's lost that confidence and ability he showed early on at Twente, but based on his performances so far for us, and his time in Germany, it's hard to see him ever being consistently good enough at this level. I expected much better from him, but I stand corrected.

I think there's a good player in there but he looks mentally weak. Too happy to sit back on his heels and leave the goal scoring to others.

Ive watched him closely the past two home games and I still can't decide if he is worth keeping.On one hand he does show signs of possessing decent technical ability but on the other hand his movement off the ball is questionable and he is often left looking pedestrian with play going on around him.Is it a case of being chucked in at the deep end to a league that is played at a quicker,less forgiving,pace or is he just pants?

Maybe he should be given time to adjust to our league,build his confidence and understanding with the other squad players and then judged on performances next season,if the loan period extends that far.Personaly I think he is more of a No.10 type player than a free scoring CF that we are crying out for.

I'd rather we went off and took a chance finding a permanent spot for a player like Remy. Someone who is quite quick, good movement, can get on end of chances or fashion ones for himself. Luuk de Jong has looked ok but not a goal threat, we don't need someone who isn't a goal threat up front at all.

Pardew's entire footballing philosophy at Newcastle has depended entirely on having a goal machine up front that he can depend on lock, stock and barrel without having to create chances across the rest of the team. A non scoring striker is simply a non starter, Cisse has been that at times and that put us in deep trouble... and at least he has missed plenty, de Jong hasn't even had a proper chance yet, he lacks even the positional sense to manage that. And he can't do the Leon Best role either because for a big bloke, even Shola wins a lot more in the air.

Do I think he's better than he's shown so far? Probably. Would I take the chance on him? Absolutely no way, not at this stage.

:thup:

I'd rather we went off and took a chance finding a permanent spot for a player like Remy. Someone who is quite quick, good movement, can get on end of chances or fashion ones for himself. Luuk de Jong has looked ok but not a goal threat, we don't need someone who isn't a goal threat up front at all.

Pardew's entire footballing philosophy at Newcastle has depended entirely on having a goal machine up front that he can depend on lock, stock and barrel without having to create chances across the rest of the team. A non scoring striker is simply a non starter, Cisse has been that at times and that put us in deep trouble... and at least he has missed plenty, de Jong hasn't even had a proper chance yet, he lacks even the positional sense to manage that. And he can't do the Leon Best role either because for a big bloke, even Shola wins a lot more in the air.

Do I think he's better than he's shown so far? Probably. Would I take the chance on him? Absolutely no way, not at this stage.

I just meant from the point of view of us actually having a third choice striker. Which we haven't had since Best. Wasn't claiming they were particularly similar players, though I think De Jong's looked okay with his back to goal.

I just meant from the point of view of us actually having a third choice striker. Which we haven't had since Best. Wasn't claiming they were particularly similar players, though I think De Jong's looked okay with his back to goal.

Wasn't a reply to you specifically, simply the people who say he'd be a good "foil" for another striker who can score. I just don't see anything to suggest it might be the case. Someone said he was "outstanding" against Hull. We scored four goals and he never so much as touched the ball in the build up to any of them.

I'm not quite sure what this guy is supposed to bring to the table. I'd take him out of the starting XI once Remy is back and give Cisse another game or two upfront with some help from Remy and hopefully Ben Arfa.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

definitely not a goal threat at the moment but he is a really composed player on the ball. I see him as a linkup man in a 4411, roaming on the wings to compensate our lack of width , pulling defenders out of position and creating chances for a main striker.

I don't think he's been quite as poor as some are trying to make out. He looks to have ability to me. Got a really good first touch and seems decent in the air. Shame he's been asked to play as an attacking midfielder.

Saying that, I don't think he's worth £8m. Maybe £5m at most.

Agreed.

Leon Best used to win loads in the air, more than Shola certainly.

He was a very important member of the squad and shouldn't have been sold in my opinion.

In that 5th place season he scored some important goals (QPR at home for example) and also helped create goals for Demba Ba as well (eg Stoke Away) by winning stuff In the air and generally putting himself about and having a go at teams.

De Jong is likely to do similar to Jon Dahl Tomasson in a league like the Dutch league but never do enough in either the English or German leagues. He's neat and tidy, tries to link play but just doesn't look like a goalscorer and that is what we really need.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/luuk-de-jong-given-chance-6888019

Luuk De Jong will be given a chance to prove himself insists Pardew

Mar 28, 2014 08:40

By Mark Douglas

Alan Pardew insists that Luuk de Jong will continue to be given time to earn a summer move to Newcastle United.

After a bright few weeks the Holland international appears to have gone backwards in home games against Crystal Palace and Everton, casting fresh doubts on his suitability for a summer move to St James’ Park.

The Journal understands that Borussia Mönchengladbach are looking to recoup at least half of the £12.6million they paid to FC Twente two years ago, when United were in the market for the 23-year-old.

It is understood that Pardew is pushing for the club to sign a new number ten, having identified that as a key role in the system that he would like Newcastle to play next term. De Jong is currently fulfilling that role and while Newcastle are looking at other alternatives, the forward represents a straightforward signing in the summer if they decide to push a deal through.

Pardew argues that De Jong has definite “pedigree” but admits that he needs to show more than he is currently exhibiting. The Holland forward has taken 11 shots in six appearances for Newcastle, only hitting the target with six – and his goalless run in England has now stretched to 473 minutes. “At the end of the year. I think our fans need to recognise where Luuk is,” he said.

“It’s very difficult for a player who has been at a club and not used after a big money move from Holland. He was a big player, a big personality who scored more goals in Holland than (Wilfried) Bony for example.

“He goes to Germany and it doesn’t work out, for whatever reason, I’m not blaming the club. But to get him back to where he was is a process and that’s the process he’s going through. Our fans need to give him a bit of time because there is definitely a pedigree there. That’s not my opinion, that’s pedigree proven in Dutch football.”

Part of De Jong’s problem is that he is clearly still feeling his way back into first-team football having been reduced to just two minutes of football in the Bundesliga this season.

“That’s the trouble, getting him back to match sharpness,” Pardew admitted. “Giving him games with the group we have got, giving him matches and putting more fitness into him on the training ground.

“At the end of this period he will have had three and a half months with us and he needs to be pretty close (if we are going to sign him.)”

Being realistic, however, Pardew admits that de Jong needs to show more.

“I think it’s important his all-round game improves from where he is right now,” he said.

“But that will come from confidence and I can see him growing every day here.

“I know he likes the environment he has found himself in and players flourish when they start enjoying their football and hopefully he can start doing that again because he has had a tough time in Germany.”

Meanwhile, Tim Krul is facing potential heartache in his bid to become Holland’s number one in time for this summer’s World Cup.

He will miss the next three games – at least – after bruising his knee.

It is a timely opportunity for Rob Elliot to prove himself, with Newcastle sourcing potential goalkeeper targets.

“The second goal, Willo thumped him, he’s got a bruising of the knee. There is no structural problem so it’s not going to stop his World Cup participation. He’s going to be out for a couple of weeks because there is bruising on the bone.

“Yes, he wasn’t in the squad last time and we were all very surprised about that.

“It was a bit of a blow, but we’re hoping the last month of the season he can make it back in there.”

Agreed.

Leon Best used to win loads in the air, more than Shola certainly.

He was a very important member of the squad and shouldn't have been sold in my opinion.

In that 5th place season he scored some important goals (QPR at home for example) and also helped create goals for Demba Ba as well (eg Stoke Away) by winning stuff In the air and generally putting himself about and having a go at teams.

De Jong is likely to do similar to Jon Dahl Tomasson in a league like the Dutch league but never do enough in either the English or German leagues. He's neat and tidy, tries to link play but just doesn't look like a goalscorer and that is what we really need.

Best might not have been the most technically accomplished player but he knew where the goal was. Not that we should be looking for another Leon Best anyway. By all means buy a target man who can link up play, but anyone who plays as part of our attack should be looking to score goals as well as assist, and De Jong has shown no interest. Spend some money and buy a real striker, we aren't short of cash.

Still time for him to do something but looks like we've given up on him already. Or maybe he's just Sussed out early on the shit state the club is going to be in next year and doesn't want to be here.