Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

We "only" offered 10 million GBP in the end, didn't we? Seems like we weren't a million miles off, which is a shame, but presumably the player had his heart set on joining BMG.

11 or 12 was our final offer depending on what source you read. I'm a massive skeptic, but i'm certain Mclaren is just being a c*nt :lol:

We "only" offered 10 million GBP in the end, didn't we? Seems like we weren't a million miles off, which is a shame, but presumably the player had his heart set on joining BMG.

11 or 12 was our final offer depending on what source you read. I'm a massive skeptic, but i'm certain Mclaren is just being a c*nt :lol:

I doubt McLaren has much say in which offer they accept :dontknow:

Just found this.

FC Twente coach Steve McClaren explained why Luuk De Jong chose Borussia Monchengladbach over a move to Newcastle United.

McClaren, who's in his second spell at FC Twente believed the lure of Champions League football over Europa League football was the biggest reason.

"Luuk is the smart one, his brain comes in different ways. He came to me and asked the opinion of me, I told him to go to the heart and ask it for its desire. Luuk came back to the reality and realised the dream of Champions League football. I told him the Newcastle is a good team, but the team who only play against team from the Israel, and the Bulgaria. Luuk laughed and I laughed the mouth, we drank the wine and ate the cheese, and together got the conclusion it merited."

www.googletranslate.com/englishtodutchviamcclarenstyle

An actual quote from the player today probably goes a long way towards explaining why he chose them over us in my opinion:

Despite the interest of a number of clubs this was a very conscious decision. I wanted to be brought in as a first choice striker in a team that plays attacking football under a manager renowned for talent development.

Guest Ilsteir

An actual quote from the player today probably goes a long way towards explaining why he chose them over us in my opinion:

Despite the interest of a number of clubs this was a very conscious decision. I wanted to be brought in as a first choice striker in a team that plays attacking football under a manager renowned for talent development.

I'd agree with that reasoning. Guaranteed playing time is likely to be a major motivation when considering his development and the Bundesliga is less demanding than the EPL for a striker. He is also keen on the number 9 spot for the national team. He is a more complete center-forward than either Huntelaar or Van Wolfswinkel and I can see Van Gaal replace Van Persie with De Jong soon enough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...