Alan Pardew

Dave

...with Newcastle being another good example of that. Pardew coming in, playing a defensive style and promising all the while that he's going to try to move in a more positive, attacking direction, then encountering problems when he tried to do it.

here you go again, what exactly has he done to try and move towards a more positive attacking direction?

be specific

So how long can we expect Pardew to need to implement a philosophy throughout the squad/club. He's been here a while now and we still look a totally different team from week to week IMO. Sometimes it's as though they don't even know what they're meant to be doing.

Obviously our ludicrous recruitment policy doesn't help him, but can anyone honestly say we have an emerging style of note? I can't. I'd love to believe he's working on it but a bit more evidence would be nice.

So how long can we expect Pardew to need to implement a philosophy throughout the squad/club. He's been here a while now and we still look a totally different team from week to week IMO. Sometimes it's as though they don't even know what they're meant to be doing.

Obviously our ludicrous recruitment policy doesn't help him, but can anyone honestly say we have an emerging style of note? I can't. I'd love to believe he's working on it but a bit more evidence would be nice.

I honestly don't think his planning has much more to it than winning the next game/magic.

Just out of interest - how many clubs have a particular style of play/philosophy?  I agree that Pardew's lack of work on attacking play and tactical awareness is being shown up at the moment, but I do feel that the whole philosophy is a bit woolly and possibly being overplayed.

I fully expect to be torn apart for this by the way.

Not very good examples, those. Swansea's style of play has been evolving since Martinez took over absolutely yonks ago, while Liverpool are a great example of it taking quite a while to get good at that style, because so far they've struggled to adapt to it.

A better example might be Mourinho coming in at Chelsea, but all we learn from that is that it's easier to impose defensive rigidity than it is to teach attacking fluidity.

I'm not too sure I agree,Swansea play a very very different game to Martinez/Rodgers. Much more direct, replaced players, more forward thinking.

Also If liverpool are struggling with that style, then  half a season isn't too bad from where they were under Dalglish. They may not be challenging the top four but they are streets ahead of us at present.

Agreed on Mourinho. He took his style and imprinted it instantly on chelsea. However, like you say Pardew has had a long time to try and implement something from the ground up. He's spectacularly failed, we dont seem to have a discernible game plan ever

Swansea still play good football with a basic principle of retaining the ball. They just move up the pitch quicker and have more of an edge to them thanks to De Guzman and Michu mainly. He has been able to evolve there game well so far because they already have the foundations to build on. When you have a team that already know how to do the basics well and how to play it's probably helps in tweaking the style which is effectively what Laudrup has done

Yeah i agree, its based on retaining the ball, so the tweaks aren't hugely significant but they are certainly more direct. We have easily the players to play that system, in fact you'd argue we are better equipped for that. I agree though perhaps Laudrup isn't the greatest example, but certainly Rodgers has completely changed Liverpool's style, and hasn't taken a particularly long time.

The wide forwards have tucked in more to make a three when they have the ball. Less sideways and more fast countering.

Just out of interest - how many clubs have a particular style of play/philosophy?  I agree that Pardew's lack of work on attacking play and tactical awareness is being shown up at the moment, but I do feel that the whole philosophy is a bit woolly and possibly being overplayed.

ManU's came forward a bit when Red nose had the Portugese with him and they first started worrying about NOT winning the CL..Rooney was re-schooled as a deep forward/midfielder. BUT they are back to give it to the bloke who runs fast down the side and everyone run into the middle. :lol:

Laudrup is brilliant for sure. The conditions for him to come in were excellent TBF, and he is surpassing everyone's expectations so probably finds it easy to be positive. I do think he's class though.

The conditions may have been excellent in terms of the team being mostly populated with technical footballers (remind you of anything) but he was following arguably their most successful and popular manager into the job, the pressure was on. He's gone in with a positive attitude though, to the football, it's the opposite of Pardew who just shits himself at the mere hint that the opposition might be able to score a goal and sacrifices any sort of attacking intent because of it.

I wouldn't bring in a foreign manager right now, would have to be the summer. Just think that more often than not a foreign manager will need time to get into it and we'd probably have more of a chance of staying up with Pardew in charge for the rest of the season anyway. (talking about a manager with no experience of football in England btw not Martinez etc)

Thing is, we did have one last season. We had one in the first half of the season, and another in the second. Whatever team was put out, seemed to know what they were doing. We were pressing high up the pitch (led by Cabaye), and we were systematically breaking teams down on occasion. We were also pretty difficult to break down when we defended leads.

I'm still astounded at the sheer vision and bravura of Swansea to just go and get Laudrup. Amazing.

Their chairman seems to have a smart head on him, he's gone out if his way to put the way the club should play football etc first instead of hiring any old person.

Hypothetically would people advocate sacking Pardew and appointing A. N. Other (of a decent calibre) if it came at the cost of no new recruits in January?

I have to say I probably would.

Yes because i'm convinced a decent manager would gets required out of the players to make sure we stay up and then go again in the summer.

I have lost all confidence in Pardew to do anything without the purples on the pitch so he needs the likes of Cabaye, Taylor etc etc back and also Remy and a CB brought in

That wouldn't be the case with any one decent as these players should not be anywhere near relegation.

A 'particular style of play' to me refers more how easily and well players of lesser ability can slot into the team and do more than simply make up the numbers. Lots of teams can do this effectively, by which I mean they don't instantly turn to the turgid 'kick the ball as far as possible from our goal', ultra-negative play we've seen so regularly this season and even parts of last. Pardew's philosophy to date seems to be that if all of our best players aren't available then we simply can't do the same things, and I don't buy that. Some have excused it by saying we can't play good football with Williamson and Simpson in the side, but we managed it perfectly well during those six wins in a row last season in which they both played every minute. Sorry, Simpson was taken off with 8mins left against Stoke at 3-0.

As I've said however, the ludicrous 11 purples thing doesn't help him at all.

Fervently hope that if we finish this season in anything like decent form, Pardew will not be sacked.

I'd be quietly embarrassed on behalf of the club - again - if he was.

If we finish the season in decent form I don't think many will be calling for him to be sacked tbf. I think there's a small group that dislike him regardless, but nowhere near the majority.

What has he ever done in his past career that gives people confidence that he is going to be a top manager with the same club over a period of more than 2 years ?

Why does anyone think it is going to be different here..?

Just as well Ipswich gave Robson a chance after his previous track record was to get Fulham relegated and then gave him time after a few rubbish seasons.

Managers can improve.  Pardew may not, but it is possible that he might come back a better manager for it.

Have you looked at Robson's career record ? He was 35 when he became manager at Fulham and 36 when he joined Ipswich.....by the time he was Pardew's age he had achieved far more than being fired from 4 clubs - if Pardew hasn't achieved anything as a manager now, he isn't going to, or at least, the odds against it are very high.

Look at Ferguson's record as a manager by the time he reached Pardew's age - do you think Man U would have appointed Pardew as their manager when he was the same age as Ferguson ??

There are plenty of managers I could quote who have made it by the time they are Pardew's age - he is at NUFC because he is cheap to employ and suits the board because of it.

Any manager worth their salt wants a degree of control over signings and club policy - Ashley and Llambias are never going to allow that.

A 'particular style of play' to me refers more how easily and well players of lesser ability can slot into the team and do more than simply make up the numbers. Lots of teams can do this effectively, by which I mean they don't instantly turn to the turgid 'kick the ball as far as possible from our goal', ultra-negative play we've seen so regularly this season and even parts of last. Pardew's philosophy to date seems to be that if all of our best players aren't available then we simply can't do the same things, and I don't buy that. Some have excused it by saying we can't play good football with Williamson and Simpson in the side, but we managed it perfectly well during those six wins in a row last season in which they both played every minute. Sorry, Simpson was taken off with 8mins left against Stoke at 3-0.

As I've said however, the ludicrous 11 purples thing doesn't help him at all.

great post

I'm still astounded at the sheer vision and bravura of Swansea to just go and get Laudrup. Amazing.

Yup. See the sad thing is the majority of owners really aren't all that different from the majority of fans in how narrow minded they can be as far as hiring a manager goes.

The first reaction when you suggest a change in manager on here is usually, the typical 'who can we get that's better?', which always baffles me. It always seemingly has to be someone everyone has heard about that is a proven success already.

I gurantee if people had suggetsed Laudrup, had he not already gone to Swansea, he would likely have been rubbished by most, as having not proven anything anywhere.

The priority though should really be to look at the manager's approach and philosophy, and the potential to marry this up with the clubs current assets etc.

Although I can't necessarily name them all, I have no doubt there's at least a handful of managers that can come in and make far better use of the players we have, and implement a style of football that is bettersuited to them, than Pardew ever could.

It's been quite unacceptable from Pardew really.

Honestly wish we'd give this clown the boot and bring Montella in /notgonnahappenbutheyho

God that would be amazing  :kasper: Fiorentina have been great to watch with him at the helm.

I can't even begin to imagine the football we would play  :sweetjesus:

really, the quality of our football should have everyone shaking with rage

with the players we have, and i agree the philospy thing is being overblown, we should be spending monday to friday working on passing and breaking teams down with the attacking talent at our disposal then hoying them on the pitch at the weekend to implement it

if we'd ended up with 20 points with that approach i'd be far more comfortable than i am at the moment with the sheer idiocy of playing a game that is not suited to the majority of our players and still only getting fucking 20 points

Yup. See the sad thing is the majority of owners really aren't all that different from the majority of fans in how narrow minded they can be as far as hiring a manager goes.

The first reaction when you suggest a change in manager on here is usually, the typical 'who can we get that's better?', which always baffles me. It always seemingly has to be someone everyone has heard about that is a proven success already.

I gurantee if people had suggetsed Laudrup, had he not already gone to Swansea, he would likely have been rubbished by most, as having not proven anything anywhere.

The priority though should really be to look at the manager's approach and philosophy, and the potential to marry this up with the clubs current assets etc.

Although I can't necessarily name them all, I have no doubt there's at least a handful of managers that can come in and make far better use of the players we have, and implement a style of football that is bettersuited to them, than Pardew ever could.

It's been quite unacceptable from Pardew really.

You need to scout managers as you do players and look for the qualities, you need to have an idea of what you want to achieve and find the appropriate manager for that job. We don't seem to know what manager we want or care what style they have. Our owner/chaircunt need to look at background of managers, how they deal with pressure, their apparent strengths and weaknesses etc - exactly as you were hiring a manager for your company, you would ideally look for someone to progress there department well or just carry out your commands (Chaircunts idea)