Alan Pardew

Dave

I think Pardew is a fine manager in good times. He will play decent enough football without the pressure on, will keep players happy etc etc. The problem is when things are going wrong and he's under pressure he makes bad decision after bad decision and panics and plays more and more negative footy for fear of losing. Hopefully we can get some momentum, if we have a run like the second half of last season we'll be fine, and starting to hope we can. Have to use these signings to get some positivity back, have a lot of players desperate to prove themselves and hopefully get some results.

I think Pardew is a fine manager in good times. He will play decent enough football without the pressure on, will keep players happy etc etc. The problem is when things are going wrong and he's under pressure he makes bad decision after bad decision and panics and plays more and more negative footy for fear of losing. Hopefully we can get some momentum, if we have a run like the second half of last season we'll be fine, and starting to hope we can. Have to use these signings to get some positivity back, have a lot of players desperate to prove themselves and hopefully get some results.

He did seem to have not a clue what to do when things really got bad. Some of his subs or the players he leaves out is just...

It doesn't matter what anyone's cut off point is, because he won't be sacked. It's simply not going to happen. For what it's worth, I do agree that our form this season is enough to get any manager of a semi-aspirational club the sack. However, I think there have been enough extenuating circumstances contributing to that form to allow him a period of grace, until the end of the season. I don't think we'll go down, and next season will be a real acid test of where we are with Pardew. If he continues to be shite, then it's time to go. It's not as if the players we are buying are 'his' players either, so it should be a less complicated transition.

Most of this :thup: and fwiw, without European competition next season, we'll most likely see a pick up in PL results.

Without it we can get back to that goal of qualifying Europe.

Only this time, with an owner, Chief Executive, Manager and players with experience of doing both and being a little better prepared about what to expect and how to improve on handling both in a season.

1994/95 - little or no experience of playing in Europe, went out in the second round (4 games) of Waffa Cup. Didn't qualify for Europe for the season after.

1995/96 - no European games, finished runners-up in the league.

1996/97 - (brought in players with Euro experience) made 1/4-finals of Waffa Cup (8 games). Runners up in league again.

Even when Robson arrived, the majority of players in the squad had European experience and he'd had plenty of experience in dealing with both. AFAIK, Pards hasn't had this 'issue' before and is still getting to grips with it (another argument if he'll ever be able to cope).

Just another thing to look for improvement in, IMO.

I was just thinking back and reading some posts, how can Pardew finish 5th one season and probably 17th the next ? Then I remembered a few clubs have done this but I think the best example are Everton and Moyes. They got into Europe I think 02/03 and finished 17th the next season under Moyes. The same reasons, Europe, paper thin squad, too many weak links, a bit more bad luck than the average season and injuries. I`m expecting comments of how can you compare Pardew to Moyes but Moyes was very poor tactically in his second season as well. You can learn a lot from a very bad season especially if you manage to stay up and finish 4th the next as Moyes did. Is this Pardews first ever season in Europe as a manager ? And was it Moyes ? Learning curve. I don`t know I havn`t read the Everton history page, Lets hope anyway because thats all the optimism I have left to give this forum and myself.

2001-02  38  8  4  7  26  23    3  6 10  19  34  -12  43  15th

2002-03  38 11  5  3  28  19    6  3 10  20  30  -1  59  7th

2003-04  38  8  5  6  27  20    1  7 11  18  37  -12  39  17th

2004-05  38 12  2  5  24  15    6  5  8  21  31  -1  61  4th

2005-06  38  8  4  7  22  22    6  4  9  12  27  -15  50  11th

2006-07  38 11  4  4  33  17    4  9  6  19  19  +16  58  6th

2007-08  38 11  4  4  34  17    8  4  7  21  16  +22  65  5th

2008-09  38  8  6  5  31  20    9  6  4  24  17  +18  63  5th

2009-10  38 11  6  2  35  21    5  7  7  25  28  +11  61  8th

2010-11  38  9  7  3  31  23    4  8  7  20  22  +6  54  7th

2011-12  38 10  3  6  28  15    5  8  6  22  25  +10  56  7th

With Everton

2001-02: 15th

2002-03: 7th

2003-04: 17th

2004-05: 4th (Qualification for UEFA Champions League)

2005-06: 11th

2006-07: 6th (Qualification for UEFA Cup)

2007-08: 5th (Qualification for UEFA Cup)

2008-09: 5th (Qualification for UEFA Europa League)

2009-10: 8th

2010-11: 7th

2011-12: 7th

:shifty:

During the 2011-12 season Newcastle went on to surpass all expectations by finishing fifth in the league and securing a place in the following season's Europa League, Pardew being awarded the LMA Manager of the Year award.[10] Pardew also brought in striker Papiss Demba Cisse in January who scored 13 goals in 14 games.

At the beginning of the 2012-13 season, Newcastle struggled again and were battling relegation when they had been expected to push for Europe. Their European adventure was short lived as well, after fielding a weakened side for most of the competition. Pardew fought back by signing Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Massadio Haidara, and Yoan Gouffran; Moussa Sissoko was permanently transferred ahead of a long-speculated 'Bosman' deal in June; while losing top-scorer Demba Ba to European Champions Chelsea after his minimum-fee release clause was finally activated. They climbed from 16th place in late January to a secure 11th place finish at the end of the season.

Pardew continued to rebuild the squad at the start of the 2013-14 season, as club captain Fabricio Coloccini returned to his native Argentina and powerful midfielder Cheick Tiote joined champions Manchester United for £12million, a new centre-back, midfielder and striker were all brought in on relatively cheap deals. All of these players would prove to be successful signings, further enhancing Newcastle's reputation as shrewd buyers. Whilst Newcastle's league form flourished again, their record in the FA Cup under Pardew did not improve: in the third round they crashed out 4–1 to Blackburn Rovers. An improved league position of sixth was secured along with Europa League football for the next season.

History definitely does not repeat itself.

SportsDirect.fr

Have you actually put that in? It just goes to the English version. At least .es is in Spanish even if it is identical to the English site and in no way changed for a different market. Tool. :lol:

Because your IP address originates from the UK?

If you put .es it's in Spanish, .pl it's in Polish. .fr is in English.

You'd have thought that's the one he'd be taking care of most with all the exposure we're getting over there.

Guest hydeous

Fans negativity turned on us. New players don't like the cold. Williamson is our only aerial threat so we had to play him.

"We've struggled today, but that's to be expected, as the new players still need bedding in. I've probably thrown them into the fire a bit to quickly, and so I'll be looking at that. I think we could really do with the experience and premier league know how, of someone like Shola at the minute, who's been outstanding for me in training, and so he'll be starting every game and playing 90+ mins for the rest of the season now."