Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

had that chance where they were wrongly called offside, timmy had it covered anyway, hit the post, hit the bar :lol: aye they had a couple of chances

Meant the 2nd half. Unlucky how they weren't ahead in the 1st half but after that their responses to the goals were fairly pitiful. Certainly not that of a side who are going for the top 4.

Krul made a quality save from a low Defore shot. (Then Saylor ground headed it back to Krul.)

AVB is still a f***ing nob then , I see. I can't stand the c*** after his behaviour at SJP last season.

When Ba scored he should have ran up and squatted in front of AVB and rubbed his chin in deep thought.

I'm taking everything as a positive today except Simpson's defending for the goal. The winger had at least 15 yards to work with when he got the ball.

I'm definitely giving Cabaye the benefit of the doubt and saying it's his fitness today, but he does have a tendency to disappear in midfield. Today was easily his worse game for us. Tiote did the work of 2 men.

HBA Not tracking back???????????????????????????????????

We were really sloppy in possession in the first half. The ball never stuck to the strikers and none of our midfielders, with the exception of Ben Arfa, could complete more than two passes in a row. Honestly, if we were down 2-0 at HT, I don't think any of us would have any reason to complain.

The second half was much different. Tiote played better, Ba got more involved and Cisse even got a few touches. We started playing the game more in their half and then they goal relaxed us. It probably relaxed us too much but we played much better in the second half.

I thought, on the whole, they were the better team. Their passing is slicker, their movement better and they created far more good chances than we did. It was a mirror of many of our matches last season, except this time we did it against a very good team. We took our chances and defended well at the end, much like last season. Its great knowing we don't get nervous defending leads in the last minutes anymore. We didn't drop back too deep and there weren't any nervy moments at the end. Such a change from five years ago.

Pretty much my read on the game too.  Spurs closed us down very quickly in the first half forcing us to give away possession very quickly and cheaply. And yet we gave Spurs all the time in the world when they were on the ball. Our midfield was flat footed and static all through the first half...both when we had the ball (no supporting movement to open up for a pass) and when they had the ball no pressure on their ball carrier or closing down the passing lanes. We looked as static as we did during the Nicky Butt years.

Thank **** that they changed up the format as we were getting overrun in the first half. Second half was much better.

Krul 7  - best save was from the Gylfi offside and couldn't do much more with the goal.

Simpson 7 - Wew here turns out he's not the worst player ever

Santon 6 - pretty poor for the goal but some enterprising moves going forward

Saylor 7 - good return, solid.

Perch 7 - played pretty well

Cabaye 5 - didn't look fit

Tiote 5 - shocking on the ball but tenacious in the tackle

(Anita) 6 - looked bright

Jonas 7 - dependable as ever

HBA 8 - game changer

Ba 7 - worked his socks off and what a goal

Cisse 5 - worked hard but didn't really contribute

Pretty much this.

Difference was we had more game changers than they did on the pitch.

Cabaye was obviously not 100% fit and Cisse was quiet, but we still had Ba and Ben Arfa to come up with 2 pieces of magic.

Bale was pretty quiet for them, Lennon ran a lot but offered little. Only Defoe looked like really causing us problems.

If 2 of our 4 danger men can be quiet and we still beat a team who will be challenging for top 4, then it looks pretty good for the season ahead.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/18/newcastle-united-tottenham-hotspur-premier-league

Ba turned just inside the angle of the area, sized up the situation and beat Krul with a curling sidefoot shot as William Gallas was in the act of coming across to close him down.

:dowie:

Desperately trying to sell our best players they are trying to seamlessly move them on without us even getting a fee.

Guest BooBoo

Can't believe Aaron Lennon is only 25 seems to have been around for ages

Came on the scene at 17 at Leeds didn't he?