Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So that is us done then? Never really had any interest in strengthening the first team, just to get by on cheap players to bolster squad after a couple walked away for free. Anita brought in to cover either a Tiote or Cabaye sale, maybe even both if the price is right. We were looking at Carroll due to the option of a loan, but went quiet once we knew we could only buy, and really that interest only stemmed from the potential sale of Ba and his low release clause. The lack of bids for Simpson means the club aren't going to push for Debuchy and now Taylor is fit we don't need Douglas, especially after forking out on Good.

Think that's about as miserable a spin i can put on this window.

O0 I nearly topped myself I must admit :lol:

Razor blades on standby lads  :lol:

f*** it. My thoughts? We c**ked up this window and failed to build upon last season.  Despite making a few moves to improve midfield depth, The so called "policy" that our board is sticking to has failed to take the bull by the horns and with the upfront investment to yield the gains associated with securing a higher placed finish, pushing for CL, and so on.  Its staggering, how slow we've been this whole summer, and I feel for AP having to always look over his shoulder for possible player sales and having to deal with the "policy." 

Not a good enough window imo.

It is not Bowyergate disastrous as we have added some quality youngsters. However we have weakened our attack and still need another quality full back.

We are gambling big on the youngsters stepping up. Which was the boards eventual aim, however I don't think we are quite ready. Time will tell.

The biggest problem with the window is how close we have been to adding real quality that could really push us up to the top 4/5.

- The whole Carroll saga is ridiculous but not signing him isnt a problem, shipping out our 3rd/5th choice striker and not replacing them is a big problem.

- Then there is the CB issue which was named by Pardew as being a priority this summer, wanting to find someone to score goals from the back, hasn't and isn't happening.

- Finally being linked with Debuchy for 8 months, with both the club and player wanting the move to happen. Insane we haven't jumped on a player of his quality which would surely cement Cabayes long term future to the club.

Bringing in youngsters is part of the mandate but we have not acquired any of the 3 targets we talked about before the window opened. The overhaul of the Academy and 9/10 new players never materialized either.

my grade C-    We will limp on to January, but lets hope (if we do qualify) Europe doesnt take too much of a toll before then.

I'm a bit loath to criticise our transfer policy because up until now it has worked.  All that seems to have happened this one though is that we have pissed clubs off to the extend they'd prefer the players to go elsewhere than join us -  Carroll being the prime example.  I'm all in favour of have a maximum fee and a wage cap, but it's pointless constantly making ridiculous offers and getting clubs backs up.

All in all I don't think anyone can say we've strengthened, brought a few promising youngsters in but failed to strengthen in any of the first team areas where we needed strengthening/backup players.

If either of Tiote/Cabaye go tomorrow with no quality replacements then I'd go as far as to say this window has been a disaster.

Guest Mantis

Can't believe we didn't bring in a striker or debuchy. If either of the front two get crocked we are short on quality. Come January they could both be away at the ACON, so I assume the club have decided to muddle through the duration of that. Dare say they will ship Simpson on in January to take whatever value they can get and we get back on the Debuchy farce again. 

I've given up on them signing a decent centre back.

Guest nufc1892

I've maintained the entire summer we are waiting to qualify for EL proper before we actually commit to signings. Conjecture on my part but I reckon there will be something in place and if we qualify tonight we'll push it through

Does the EL even bring in enough revenue to fund extra players? Unless it does why would waiting make any difference?

We could get around 10M extra this side of winter through group stage and ticket receipts.

I stand to be corrected, but that just sounds wildly wrong.

We talked about this before. There just isn't that much money available in the Europa - Pardew himself has said as much. He may be more worried about the potential demands it makes on the squad.

60,000 euros for each group match

140,000 euros for each group win

£1.2m euros if we won all 6 group games

I think overall our squad is stronger than this time last season, but with more games to play it'll be harder to replicate the same results.

Realistically 5th is probably our peak just now so think this season is destined to be somewhat disappointing.

confirmed now- nobody but maybe a free to replace R taylor.

By who?

Pards there in his interview........

He really didn't say that.

as good as.

#NUFC Alan Pardew tells @itvfootball he may speak to chairman about bringing a player in after injury to Ryan Taylor tonight. @ITVTyneTees

now how you turn it into what you did is beyond me

confirmed now- nobody but maybe a free to replace R taylor.

By who?

Pards there in his interview........

He really didn't say that.

He didn't need to really body language said it all.

Ofcourse we don't know all the full details of the transfers but the fact of the matter is "so far" apart from Anita they've clearly failed to nail their key transfer targets. How they think we can have a strong run in Europe, maintain top 6-7 form in the league and have FA and League cup runs without strenghthening in key positions is beyond me.