How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

The best NUFC player I've seen play for us since I started following the club in 1982... Better than Waddle... Gazza... Ginola... Tino... Shearer... Robert... And Ben Arfa... Rooney doesn't come close either...

Left foot right foot... First touch... Vision... Killer pass... Shooting... Dribbling... Heading... Attitude... Discipline... Leadership... Outragous goals... Free kicks... Penalties... Tackling... Team work... And finally why he's not talked about in the same way as his modern day pretenders he was low profile... The fact he did all this game in game out puts him in my view the best ever NUFC player I've seen...

I was only 7 when he left, but that was long enough for me to fall in love with him. Had his number on my first few tops, and got to meet him in 95/96 and tell he was my favourite player. I didn't have a camera, so he took my address and got a signed picture posted. I also sent him some pictures I drew of the team on his birthday and remember being really upset when he missed a pen against Chelsea in the FA cup on his birthday, and again when he left. Proper loved him. Can't imagine ever seeing someone like him again.

Beardsley was arguably Keegan's best signing. It was a masterstroke bringing him back.

Utter genius and his goal away to Portsmouth in 1984 where he beats the goalkeeper and 2 defenders in the 6 yard box is a thing of beauty.

Beardsley was arguably Keegan's best signing. It was a masterstroke bringing him back.

Utter genius and his goal away to Portsmouth in 1984 where he beats the goalkeeper and 2 defenders in the 6 yard box is a thing of beauty.

Beardsley along with Keegan was also a great signing for Arthur Cox and I think Beardsley is one of the most underrated English footballers that I can ever remember.  I was lucky enough so see him play most of his games for us starting with his original debut at Barnsley and I have no idea how he didn't gain more than 59 caps for the national team because we didn't have a better player in his position.

Comfortably one of the greatest English footballers of all-time. Sublime not only in his two spells at NUFC but also at Liverpool and Everton, too. Was voted man of the match in a Liverpool game against Forest which Sir Tom Finney dubbed the greatest team performance he'd ever seen.

The greatest compliment I can pay Lionel Messi is that at his best he's reminiscent of Lord Peter of Longbenton.

Lineker scored 48 England goals, I'd love to see how many Pedro set up. He could do the lot, dribble, pass, shoot with both feet, you don't see that often these days. One of the best all round players we will ever see at this club.

Arshavin when he had that s***-hot few months that time is the only player I've seen that reminds me of Beardsley.

Totally different players but Robert reminded me of Pedro at times.

They had similar natural ability but Beardsleys work ethic pisses all over Roberts.

That isn't a critique of Robert's perceived laziness, which I think is a tad unfair. More of a thumbs up to Pedro's incredible appetite for hard work.

As someone mentioned earlier the Liverpool 87-88 side, which is far and away the best side I've seen, had John Barnes and Pedro literally destroying sides .

Still I see Peter Beardsley as ours and the best player we've had.

I never had the pleasure of seeing Beardsley play but for some reason he has always beenn my favourite ever player - merely based on video footage (I know, I know).

Even just from those few hours of footage he taught me how I want to play football and basically what football is. Had a huge impact on me.

Towards the end of our first season in the prem Beardo seemed to be on fire, him and Cole linking up all over the place.  Beardo scored some seriously awesome goals in that run in.  Like others have said, if that was now, sky would explode in soccer jizz.

Favourite NUFC player although I think Colo will run him close if he keeps up his standards until the end of his contract. I just fucking loved beardsley, everything about him but especially his ease of dribbling. Provided masterclass after masterclass of how to make opponents look shit. A player that can only be put in the bracket of world class

I remember that goal against Spurs (A) when he returned from that shocking check bone injury from Neil Ruddick.

He ran from the half way line with the ball, dropped a couple of shoulders, a bit of a faint then a bit of a shimmy, then smashed it past their keeper.  Toon win 1-2.  I think it was in the last minute as well.

The best NUFC player I've seen play for us since I started following the club in 1982... Better than Waddle... Gazza... Ginola... Tino... Shearer... Robert... And Ben Arfa... Rooney doesn't come close either...

Left foot right foot... First touch... Vision... Killer pass... Shooting... Dribbling... Heading... Attitude... Discipline... Leadership... Outragous goals... Free kicks... Penalties... Tackling... Team work... And finally why he's not talked about in the same way as his modern day pretenders he was low profile... The fact he did all this game in game out puts him in my view the best ever NUFC player I've seen...

Epitomised everything that was right about football imo. Players like him only come around once in a while so it was an utter privilege that I got to see him play for us.

I remember standing outside the old gates at the corner of the milburn and leazes when we were playing QPR can't remember what year but it must have been 95 or 96; anyhow some bloke opened the gates and let everyone into the ground so  basically about 50 or 60 teenagers suddenly came bursting in prompting irate old codger season ticket holders to scream "get them ouuuut" then about a minute later Beardsley rifled one into the stantion right infront of us!

Class memory!

Ben Arfa speaking about him in today's Chronicle:

With a smile the Frenchman said: “When I first came here, we were training and Peter Beardsley joined in.

“I said to him ‘You are a very good player’.

“Then a few people told me about him.

“I went home and typed his name into You Tube and I was amazed at how good he was – he was amazing.

“Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that he is still amazing at 51!

“He’s a big player and I would like to be like him.”

The greatest player I have ever seen playing for Newcastle in the 27 years I have been supporting us.

Ridiculously underrated and one of the best English players of all-time.

I think even our own younger fans underrate him now.

Guest neesy111

Not entirely surprised that people are underrating Rooney this much, like. The guy's a phenomenal footballer, whatever you think of him.

Still achieved little from the talent he has IMO.

Not entirely surprised that people are underrating Rooney this much, like. The guy's a phenomenal footballer, whatever you think of him.

Still achieved little from the talent he has IMO.

:lol: Hmm.

Honours

Club

Manchester United

Premier League (4): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11

Football League Cup (2): 2005–06, 2009–10

FA Community Shield (3): 2007, 2010, 2011

UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08

FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008

Individual

PFA Players' Player of the Year (1): 2009–10

PFA Young Player of the Year (2): 2004–05, 2005–06

PFA Fans' Player of the Year (2): 2005–06, 2009–10

PFA Premier League Team of the Year (3): 2005–06, 2009–10, 2011–12

FWA Footballer of the Year (1): 2009–10

Goal of the Season (3): 2004–05, 2006–07, 2010–11

Goal of the Month (6): October 2003, January 2005, April 2005, January 2007, March 2007, February 2011

Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (2): 2005–06, 2009–10

BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year (1): 2002

Bravo Award (1): 2003

UEFA Euro 2004 Team of the Tournament

FIFPro World Young Player of the Year (1): 2004–05

Premier League Player of the Month (5): February 2005, December 2005, March 2006, October 2007, January 2010

Barclays Player of the Year (1): 2009–10

Premier League 20 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2011–12):

Best Goal (vs. Manchester City, 12 February 2011)

FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball (1): 2008

England Player of the Year (2): 2008, 2009

Golden Boot Landmark Award 20 (1): 2009–10

FIFA/FIFPro World XI (1): 2011

Plus 32 goals in 78 caps for England, and 200 club goals by the age of 27.  I don't enjoy watching him as much as when he first came on the scene but howay.