How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

We had him at one point. :(

I'm fairly certain I saw him as an unused sub one Boxing Day circa 1981 for your lot at Highfield Rd when Coventry gave you a 3 goal bollocking with Gary Bailey in his usual shit form. One of the goals went through the middle of his tummy from 35 yards out.

• 2 weeks later...

He hasn't aged a day ffs  :lol:

Anyway he's a legend of Italian football and quite frankly the Maldini of Inter Milan still has a fantastic engine and can play in almost any position and been one of the best fullbacks in world football over the last 2 decades maybe not as flashy as some others but definitely effective and defensively much more secure.

He will be missed the world over when he actually does retire and how Argentina could do with someone like him now still amazes me how he outpaces people half his age  :lol:

All in all quite frankly just a legend.

This man was/is a beast, don't think I've seen him play a bad game, granted I haven't watched him loads, but he will go down as one of the legendary players that you will tell your kids about and they will probably think you're a little bit over the top with nostalgia.

The best right-back I've seen in my time watching football. Phenomenal player and such a professional too. Surprisingly enough he gets next to no credit on these shores whatsoever, as the short-sighted pundits all harp on about somebody like Cafu.

The best right-back I've seen in my time watching football. Phenomenal player and such a professional too. Surprisingly enough he gets next to no credit on these shores whatsoever, as the short-sighted pundits all harp on about somebody like Cafu.

That's mainly because foreign players on those shores are rated based on international tournaments or great performances against English clubs.

That and he's not exactly as flashy as others.

I agree with you mind.

That's mainly because foreign players on those shores are rated based on international tournaments or great performances against English clubs.

That and he's not exactly as flashy as others.

I agree with you mind.

:thup: to both of these points.

Like :giggs: to play at the level he has done for as long as he has (and again in a variety of roles - RB, RWB, DM, LB, LWB, RM) is nothing short of amazing.

Just reading on wiki and to think Lionel Scaloni was chosen ahead of him in WC'06 and Nicolás Otamendi & Ariel Garcé were in WC'10 is scandalous.

Makes more interesting comments than the average footballer:

When I look back to my childhood, many concrete scenes come to my mind, good ones and bad ones. I had a difficult childhood, and even though I don’t live in my country at present, I’m well aware of what’s going on there and the devastating effect it’s having on our poorest children. I’ve always believed that our public actions need to take account of our social responsibility …”

Javier Zanetti, 2001

Zanetti, along with his wife Paula, created the Fundación PUPI in an attempt to improve the social integration of poorer children via educational opportunities and better healthcare. Along with team-mate Esteban Cambiasso, he also co-founded Leoni di Potrero, a charity association to help coach young children with social isolation problems and motor coordination difficulties. And inbetween captaining Inter and Argentina, he also found the time to declare his support for the Zapatista guerrilla cause in Mexico.

Zanetti organised a collection of over 5000 euros from Inter’s first-team squad via fining players for late arrival at training or use of mobile phones in the changing rooms. Following Mexican government forces attacks on the Zapatista stronghold of Zincantan in Chiapas, the club also donated an undisclosed sum of money to enable the rebels to rebuild a school, housing and a water pipeline. Zanetti also sent the following message to the Zapatistas:

“… We believe in a better world, in an unglobalised world, enriched by cultural differences and customs of all the people. This is why we want to support you in this struggle to maintain your roots and fight for your ideals …”