Everton 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 17/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 57

Dave

:lol:

Shame about those blunders because they took away from what was a class game. Credit is due for your 2nd half performance (Pardew obviously gave them an almighty bollocking, and rightly so) and a draw wasn't really an unfair result in terms of the balance of play and chances overall. From our POV, if we play like that for the rest of the season we will be sitting very pretty come May.

Not sure why people are kidding themselves though about the Anichebe goal, it was a clear goal. I'm happy to be proved wrong but iirc it was clearly over. You certainly wouldn't be labelling it as "marginal" if the boot was on the other foot. The referee was also completely wrong about pulling the play back 10 seconds later - but the fact is that should never have come about as the goal should have been given. Just furthers the case for technology asap. The Fellaini goal was, obviously, a goal.

Hibbert and Neville are like those 2 kids who were always picked last when choosing teams for footy in school.

Shame about those blunders because they took away from what was a class game. Credit is due for your 2nd half performance (Pardew obviously gave them an almighty bollocking, and rightly so) and a draw wasn't really an unfair result in terms of the balance of play and chances overall. From our POV, if we play like that for the rest of the season we will be sitting very pretty come May.

Not sure why people are kidding themselves though about the Anichebe goal, it was a clear goal. I'm happy to be proved wrong but iirc it was clearly over. You certainly wouldn't be labelling it as "marginal" if the boot was on the other foot. The referee was also completely wrong about pulling the play back 10 seconds later - but the fact is that should never have come about as the goal should have been given. Just furthers the case for technology asap. The Fellaini goal was, obviously, a goal.

Hibbert and Neville are like those 2 kids who were always picked last when choosing teams for footy in school.

No arguments from me on either. Moyes was right though, those poor decisions aside - you should have been well and truly out of sight by half-time. Would be pretty furious if I was an Everton fan. Capitalising on good performances/injury-free periods with points is imperative to a decent season IMO. You also would do well to get points when you're not in such good shape - like we currently are :smugdog:

Tactics before the game was a disaster. Playing 4-5-1 with a lone striker is never going to suit players like Cabaye, Jonas and HBA in midfield (they all enjoy more space to operate in), and it leaves Papiss without backup.

After 30 mins I was shouting that he should revert to 4-4-2 and put Ba in, and I'm very happy he did so at HT.

Second half was very good. Anita impressed as a RB and playing two forwards immediately gave us some weight in attack.

I do think that Krul would have saved at least one of the shots they scored with (he has great reflexes with his feet, something that Harps sadly is missing).

Very entertaining second half, great point for us and if we beat Norwich on Sunday we've had a great start of the season despite not playing very well.  :)

No arguments from me on either. Moyes was right though, those poor decisions aside - you should have been well and truly out of sight by half-time. Would be pretty furious if I was an Everton fan. Capitalising on good performances/injury-free periods with points is imperative to a decent season IMO. You also would do well to get points when you're not in such good shape - like we currently are :smugdog:

Pienaar's chance at the end of the first half sticks out. Just could see a comeback coming. Him missing that, Jelavic getting injured, an inevitable bollocking from Pardew. We're not a clinical side at all so a comeback wasn't unexpected.

Reckon you'll look back on this point as huge come the end of the season. 5 points from 4 games including Spurs, Chelsea and Everton, the latter 2 being away, is hardly that bad a return, especially when playing poorly. Can see nothing other than a dry humping of Norwich at the weekend.

Likewise, if we can beat Swansea I think we're going to have a class season. Can't feel sorry for ourselves.

It was definitely a goal, but you can understand how the linesman could be hesitant to give it.

It's probably impossible to see with the naked eye and from an official's perspective, it's a lot easier to rule it out if it seems marginal than it is to run the risk of giving away a phantom goal.

Just highlights how insane it is that we don't have goal-line technology yet.

I think the point is that the two decisions which cost Everton were hairline and at normal speed were understandable mistakes.

The two decisions against us were shocking as they were as clear as daylight and just pure incompetence.

Entirely predictable however that the decisions that went in our favour are the only ones being discussed at large.

How many times do you see in tennis a ball that clearly looks out to the naked eye, including on super slow motion close up, but is actually in because the slightest sliver of ball is on the line? Unless you can see daylight/grass, there's no definite conclusion, and it was never a free kick, and our attack was pulled back.

The offside they can have.

The offside one was ridiculous, it was only his trailing foot and there's no way the linesman can be expected to see that when the rest of his body was clearly offside.

Best thing about last night was the spirit in my opinion. There really is a willingness to show that last season wasn't a one-off.

Even in the 1st half when we were utter toss we still had chances, one off the line from Anita and the volley that Cisse should really have buried. That's the best thing for me that even when we are poor we are still a threat.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, even the last 2 seasons have given us enough reason to have got a bit back at Goodison for once.

Jelavic double handball

Fellaini elbowing Williamson

Coleman swiping Nolan's legs away from him.

We were overdue something.

I can't lie btw, Shola's chest assist was ridiculous. :lol:

As I say, on the balance of chances overall a draw was a fair result, but no doubt those 2 decisions leave a very sour taste in the mouth. One I could have just about stomached but twice is taking the piss.