Everton 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 17/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 57

Dave

I can't lie btw, Shola's chest assist was ridiculous. :lol:

As I say, on the balance of chances overall a draw was a fair result, but no doubt those 2 decisions leave a very sour taste in the mouth. One I could have just about stomached but twice is taking the p*ss.

I think you are being very generous in your summary of the game.  You are 100% right that if those two decisions had gone against us then this forum would be a different place today.

100% not offside and 100% over the line, no doubt.

However, it is very hard for me to be distracted from an excellent 2nd half performance and a very valueable draw for us.  That said last night is the best I have seen Everton play for a long time - not that I follow your form that closely, Baines is playing out of his skin right now.  You don't have too much to be worried about this season if that form can be maintained.

Should never have been a free kick in the first place, so therefore we got what we deserved with that one.

The offside on the other hand....

The offside, looked offside in real time, Linesman don't get slow-mo and freeze frames with lines drawn on the pitch (from Taylors trailing heel btw). Was a marginal decision and the correct one "in real time" and was nowhere near a howler. Felianis body was behind Taylors, that's what the Lino would have seen.

Similarly with the so called "goal", in real time, no way could he give it. The freeze frame shows the ball likely to be over the line, in real time it was in that position for the merest fraction of a second.

Until there is the technology, both decisions were perfectly understandable.

Guest firetotheworks

Even when it was in slow motion I didn't notice Taylor's leg at first glance. It was obviously, definitely onside, but when you've got one player running one way and another behind him in another way, at full speed and within less than a stride, it's a very difficult decision.

The counter-movement makes the linesman really doubt it though, and it seems like he did not notice the hanging foot. Either way I feel he was onside and we where well lucky to get away with it. Though the Neville cunt should have been off, and the 3on1 situation will piss me off for some time to come, it seemed like the ref decided to stop play because he felt like someone fucked up with the goal, which they did.

But still, it was well fucking stupid blowing the whistle there, Benny had 100% control.

The ref clearly bottled our three through on goal because of the goal-line incident. Bet he thanked Pienaar after the game for committing the foul. :lol:

Yep, the ref got himself into a right mess. Must admit I was shouting "KICK HIM YOU FUCKING SHIT!" at Pienaar when that was happening. :lol:

been on rd all morning. ant amusing responses from other boards, or mackems etc?

Just the predictable lament from the macums that everything we've achieved is down to luck and refereeing bias while they never get any.

Oh..... and of course O'Neill is still the best manager on the planet despite playing turgid dreary football and not having won for 13 games. Of course they're gonna hammer us again and they're already booking their buses for Wembley.

Not to mention an early and very long thread about the only game and team who can ever fill the SoS.

been on rd all morning. ant amusing responses from other boards, or mackems etc?

Just the predictable lament from the macums that everything we've achieved is down to luck and refereeing bias while they never get any.

Oh..... and of course O'Neill is still the best manager on the planet despite playing turgid dreary football and not having won for 13 games. Of course they're gonna hammer us again and they're already booking their buses for Wembley.

Not to mention an early and very long thread about the only game and team who can ever fill the SoS.

I bet you wrote that without even looking. :lol:

They were denied two blatant goals, but we were denied an advantage two-on-one, the freekick leading to one of the disallowed goals wasn't a freekick and one of their players could have seen red.

It wasn't a good officiating performance, but it wasn't biased in our favour by any stretch of the imagination.

I bet you wrote that without even looking. :lol:

aye, just another typical day down in cyber chicken town.

Santon and Inichebe, "a litle coming together there, the merest hint, It wasnt much, I dont think theyd be looking for a penalty if it had been in the box". Nothing was made of this commentary in the analysis.

Inichibe came into Santon then flapped his arms about and fell over when he realised Howards long ball was passing over them .

Dubious free kick so the ball over the line issue shouldnt have mattered.

Possibly showing my ignorance of the offside rule here (it does seem to change quite a lot) - but is the offside rule based on any part of the body of the attacker and any part of the body of the defending player i.e. you don't use a type of athletics finish rule where the position of the torso is key?

They used to have the 'clear air' rule, but I thought they got rid of that.