Stoke City 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 28/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

Aye, Both Santon and Tiote both lose Walters and Jose didn't cover himself in glory in stopping the ball coming in either.

Nice try but I don't think we can blame him for anything.

Turned his back and flapped his arms about when the winger feigned to cross.

Erm... :lol:

He did - Lennon absolutely skinned him.

Haven't read any of the thread, was watching with a Liverpool supporting mate, who surprise surprise could see everything that we have all been seeing for a long time now. Four defeats in a row, against poor opposition, fuck me we are awful at the minute. I'm guessing Pardew has come out and explained the defeat as being the result of a mixture of bad luck / missing key players / confidence / Stoke being in form / everything except for himself.

I said before the game that losing these 4 games was unthinkable, 14 points from 14 games, more than 1/3 of the season gone, key players out, no-one to replace them, jesus, we're in the shit whatever way you look at it.

Oh and by the way, see how Stoke, yes Stoke, came from behind to win...why the fuck are we completely incapable of doing that ourselves?

Just got back from the Britannia and I think a lot of people need to get a bit of perspective.

I'm gutted with that result, and so were the rest of the Geordie crowd, of which there were a fair few and we provided a great atmosphere for 90 minutes.

However, we were extremely unlucky not to win overall. The last 10 minutes were tragic. For 80 minutes, we were the better side and put in a thoroughly professional away performance at a place where it is difficult to pick up any points, let alone play good football.

I went into the game expecting an abject performance, and us to not even show up, so any performance whatsoever exceeded my expectations. The manner in which we lost was galling, no doubt.

80 minutes, we are 1-0 up having generally controlled the game and restricted a tough side at home to a couple of chances. After what looked like a blatant penalty to me, we should have been 2-0 up, home and dry and celebrating 3 points and a professional away performance.

2 defensive mistakes in the last 9 minutes gave Stoke the points, after most of the ground thought we would get away with it.

We may not have set the world alight today, but I think the players and manager put in a good shift overall tonight, and I've no complaints with individual performances except for Williamson.

Tactics were as good as you can expect, effort was there. Confidence seemed to be returning, until the mistakes at the end. Its painfully obvious to me that the main reason we are struggling is the lack of depth in our squad. Look at Stoke's bench (a lower mid table team) vs ours (a European team). They were able to bring on some players that we could use in our squad in terms of depth. Jones and Jerome enabled them to change things whereas we had no options- Marveux perhaps but there might be good reasons why Pardew didnt play him. Take Coloccini and Tiote out of our team and we've not got the reserves leading to our current slump.

Williamson is obviously short of what we need, as is Simpson. Retaining Leon Best, signing Debuchy and another centre back, we'd be several places above in the table now and the prize money would increase accordingly. Point your fingers at the beancounters at the top as to why this is not the case. Although I'd obviously have liked significantly more points and performances from the last 4 games, we've hit poor form, and the XI we've put out isnt that great.

Pardews obviously not a Mourinho or Guardiola, but he was deservedly manager of the season last year. Since appointed, he's done a sound job, and sacking him would be madness. There's no-one we could get that would be a step forward, and we'd lose the recent stability and credibility that the club has had. It was obvious that with the system we've got, Pardew is the man and he's not going anywhere.

Players and manager left the field to sympathetic/ grateful applause from everyone at the Britannia, and Pardews name was sung a few times throughout.

Haven't seen the game yet, so won't comment on the performance - fact remains, though , that its another defeat and to a poor team after being in front.

This sort of result, coming on top of the bad run already seen, can only end up one way unless stopped quickly and that is in relegation. The Wigan game is now absolutely crucial and if another defeat occurs in that, action is going to have to be taken to stop the rot, although what Ashley will decide to do is anyone's guess...he probably hasn't a clue himself !

Just got back from the Britannia and I think a lot of people need to get a bit of perspective.

I'm gutted with that result, and so were the rest of the Geordie crowd, of which there were a fair few and we provided a great atmosphere for 90 minutes.

However, we were extremely unlucky not to win overall. The last 10 minutes were tragic. For 80 minutes, we were the better side and put in a thoroughly professional away performance at a place where it is difficult to pick up any points, let alone play good football.

I went into the game expecting an abject performance, and us to not even show up, so any performance whatsoever exceeded my expectations. The manner in which we lost was galling, no doubt.

80 minutes, we are 1-0 up having generally controlled the game and restricted a tough side at home to a couple of chances. After what looked like a blatant penalty to me, we should have been 2-0 up, home and dry and celebrating 3 points and a professional away performance.

2 defensive mistakes in the last 9 minutes gave Stoke the points, after most of the ground thought we would get away with it.

We may not have set the world alight today, but I think the players and manager put in a good shift overall tonight, and I've no complaints with individual performances except for Williamson.

Tactics were as good as you can expect, effort was there. Confidence seemed to be returning, until the mistakes at the end. Its painfully obvious to me that the main reason we are struggling is the lack of depth in our squad. Look at Stoke's bench (a lower mid table team) vs ours (a European team). They were able to bring on some players that we could use in our squad in terms of depth. Jones and Jerome enabled them to change things whereas we had no options- Marveux perhaps but there might be good reasons why Pardew didnt play him. Take Coloccini and Tiote out of our team and we've not got the reserves leading to our current slump.

Williamson is obviously short of what we need, as is Simpson. Retaining Leon Best, signing Debuchy and another centre back, we'd be several places above in the table now and the prize money would increase accordingly. Point your fingers at the beancounters at the top as to why this is not the case. Although I'd obviously have liked significantly more points and performances from the last 4 games, we've hit poor form, and the XI we've put out isnt that great.

Pardews obviously not a Mourinho or Guardiola, but he was deservedly manager of the season last year. Since appointed, he's done a sound job, and sacking him would be madness. There's no-one we could get that would be a step forward, and we'd lose the recent stability and credibility that the club has had. It was obvious that with the system we've got, Pardew is the man and he's not going anywhere.

Players and manager left the field to sympathetic/ grateful applause from everyone at the Britannia, and Pardews name was sung a few times throughout.

:thup:

Good perspective and nice read.

Well I'm sorry, but this is the result and the performance that has me reaching for the panic button. People moaned about losing to Swansea, West Ham and Southampton but they are half-decent teams who can play well on their day. Stoke are not.

We got our 4-3-3 but we didn't have the players to make it work. It looked to me like Anita was pushed forward, and he tried his best to close defenders down - something which Ba and Cisse aren't very good at - but he was doing it on his own and it wasn't effective. It smelt like a bit of desperation on Pardew's part.

We had no-one in the front six that was technically secure on the ball. Marveaux or Sammy can make things happen and at least one of them should have started. There are risks but they have to be taken.

2points from relegation. Invest heavily in January or we might actually go into a battle down south which we don't want to even if I have 100% confidence we won't go down.

I agree. Just curious, when you say 'invest heavily' how much is it for you? For me that is closer to £20m. Can't see it happening, but that's probably what it would cost.

+income of potential player sales. (hope we don't lose any of our better ones, except maybe Ba if he wants to go/unwilling to play as LF)

Guest neesy111

2points from relegation. Invest heavily in January or we might actually go into a battle down south which we don't want to even if I have 100% confidence we won't go down.

Not a chance this will happen.

I agree. Just curious, when you say 'invest heavily' how much is it for you? For me that is closer to £20m. Can't see it happening, but that's probably what it would cost.

+income of potential player sales. (hope we don't lose any of our better ones, except maybe Ba if he wants to go/unwilling to play as LF)

I could see us spending £20m in January as we seemed ready to spent that amount of Debuchy + De Jong.

Think there's four obvious candidates for spending the money - centre-half, right-back, another forward and another creative option. And as much as i hate Simpson, right-back is now the least important of those 4 signings imo.

If, and it's a big if, we need to buy players who are going to hit the ground running. Don't even have to spend that big money I don't think. Centre back and a wide forward /winger who can make a difference in the final third have got to be the priorities.

If, and it's a big if, we need to buy players who are going to hit the ground running. Don't even have to spend that big money I don't think. Centre back and a wide forward /winger who can make a difference in the final third have got to be the priorities.

:thup:

In an ideal world we'd want/need 3-4 players, but these positions mentioned should be priorities.