Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 02/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

This was the game that confirmed us as a relegation-battling side.

Nothing illustrated this better than getting the lift of an early goal - a gift really - but being unable to build on it, lose a goal at a critical time, and basically struggle to keep any self-belief in the second half.

Nothing more to say, confirm my views on the relegationometer site...

I thought Obertan was supposed to be shit btw? He was anything but tonight. Don't have a clue why he was brought off, and even less of a clue as to why it was after he'd nearly scored.

I don't watch Italian, German or French footie these days but I'd have Baines in my side before any other LB.

Harsh on Higuain.

Completely accurate though.

You've not seen much of him, then.

I've seen plenty of him, thanks.

Clearly not enough. Mole's post is pretty accurate so I won't bother going over old ground.

Re: Higuain: Schooling us on players in leagues you arent watching then :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Higuain plays in Spain

Ouch.

I thought Obertan was supposed to be s*** btw? He was anything but tonight. Don't have a clue why he was brought off, and even less of a clue as to why it was after he'd nearly scored.

He looks a shit tonne better on the left tbh, i'm actually confident in him on that side.

On the right though? lets not go there.

Norwich away is the kind of game we'd expect to lose though.

If we 'expect' to lose away games to clubs like Norwich it shows just how poorly the club is being run, and also how well the idiots running it have managed to brainwash the fans......

Everton don't deserve any media wankfest BTW, they are an average team at best, relying heavily on Felliani to win their many long balls. Thought they were depressing tonight.

The table cannot lie...Oh, wait - we finished 5th last year...!

Imo Everton have a very well drilled team that can and do play with various type of styles, and they do it with great effect. yes they aren't perfect and do need to fix some parts of their play, but that's just minor tweaks from what i've seen so far. They have some very good players, and a few not as good, but they do work so well together so their 'lesser' players dont stand out like a shower of shit as some of ours. We have many good players unavailable, but imo we still would do much better if we didn't have a clueless manager.

They deserved their win, without doubt imo. Some people chose to say this and that about them, personally im more worried and depressed about ourselves so i neither want or can have a go at them, especially an undeserved one.

Guest WashyGeordie

If we 'expect' to lose away games to clubs like Norwich it shows just how poorly the club is being run, and also how well the idiots running it have managed to brainwash the fans......

Well considering we got beat there last season 4-2, and thats when we were actually playing well.

They've improved their team since last year, we're on a slump - lost 9 in 11. Hardly's brainwashed...

Well considering we got beat there last season 4-2, and thats when we were actually playing well.

They've improved their team since last year, we're on a slump - lost 9 in 11. Hardly's brainwashed...

Last year's result is irrelevant tbh. We had Danny fucking Simpson playing centre back.

Last year's result is irrelevant tbh. We had Danny f***ing Simpson playing centre back.

So you think that because we lost there last year after losing both Taylor and Coloccini in the previous game, that we should 'expect' to lose there?

Norwich a big big club are they ? You've just proved my point...

I'm just back from the game, my first actually being inside the stadium and now I can't wait to go to Brazil as I won't have to be disappointed. As soon as the second goal went in you could see the players head drop and then the crowd began to turn on them.

We started brightly, there was a lot of passing and building up the play as opposed to Everton who spent the first half aiming balls towards Fellaini who would either flick it on or win a free kick. However we looked poor in the defense and lacked ideas going forward. If the ball went out wide whoever had the ball was left exposed and we had to pass the ball backwards. Not many of our players looked like the wanted the ball aside from Anita. One problem we had was that when Williamson was turned or lost out in the aerial battle we had Collocini caught between closing his man down or holding his position as they often had a runner. It was only when Bigi came on that we had one of our midfielders track back towards our own box to help cover the space.The referee did give a lot of fouls against us, especially the one that Everton got the equalizer from, but I think a lot of the pressure on the referee was the crowds frustrations towards the team. I thought Sammy came on and did well when attacking players, but we don't have many options in reserve to deal with our injuries. Ultimately it is disappointing to watch the team capitulate like that and unless we can strengthen this month (hopefully some injured players return) then we will be in trouble.

I think you've made some very good points, but I wanted to highlight that particular one. I'm reliant on the TV, so it's not easy to see the overall picture, but I've been wondering why our back four gets so regularly exposed when we're actually playing with two defensive midfield players. Is dividing the responsibility creating confusion, and are they leaving things to one another? Would we be better off with someone just sitting permanently in front of the CBs? Or is Bigi the only one of the three with the pace to get back? Does having two DMs simply mean a waste of a player, and a greater likelihood of losing the ball? I don't know.

I'm just back from the game, my first actually being inside the stadium and now I can't wait to go to Brazil as I won't have to be disappointed. As soon as the second goal went in you could see the players head drop and then the crowd began to turn on them.

We started brightly, there was a lot of passing and building up the play as opposed to Everton who spent the first half aiming balls towards Fellaini who would either flick it on or win a free kick. However we looked poor in the defense and lacked ideas going forward. If the ball went out wide whoever had the ball was left exposed and we had to pass the ball backwards. Not many of our players looked like the wanted the ball aside from Anita. One problem we had was that when Williamson was turned or lost out in the aerial battle we had Collocini caught between closing his man down or holding his position as they often had a runner. It was only when Bigi came on that we had one of our midfielders track back towards our own box to help cover the space.The referee did give a lot of fouls against us, especially the one that Everton got the equalizer from, but I think a lot of the pressure on the referee was the crowds frustrations towards the team. I thought Sammy came on and did well when attacking players, but we don't have many options in reserve to deal with our injuries. Ultimately it is disappointing to watch the team capitulate like that and unless we can strengthen this month (hopefully some injured players return) then we will be in trouble.

I think you've made some very good points, but I wanted to highlight that particular one. I'm reliant on the TV, so it's not easy to see the overall picture, but I've been wondering why our back four gets so regularly exposed when we're actually playing with two defensive midfield players. Is dividing the responsibility creating confusion, and are they leaving things to one another? Would we be better off with someone just sitting permanently in front of the CBs? Or is Bigi the only one of the three with the pace to get back? Does having two DMs simply mean a waste of a player, and a greater likelihood of losing the ball? I don't know.

I think there's just a general confusion with our shape as Pardew tends to shoehorn our biggest names into the side. Personally I would have played a midfielder on the right rather than Cisse, maybe Abeid, to offer some protection against Baines and Pienaar. Their main players were given the run of the field which is amazing considering we supposedly spend so much time on defensive work.

I don't think it's fair to slag off Santon, he's been one of our best players this season, trouble is he's hardly missed a game and is looking a bit jaded.

I do not understand for the life of me Pardews team selection. Should have played Santon RB, Ferguson LB, no Shola, Cisse in the middle and Ranger wide. At least he works and can hold the ball up.

Guest icemanblue

I don't think it's fair to slag off Santon, he's been one of our best players this season, trouble is he's hardly missed a game and is looking a bit jaded.

I do not understand for the life of me Pardews team selection. Should have played Santon RB, Ferguson LB, no Shola, Cisse in the middle and Ranger wide. At least he works and can hold the ball up.

I'd say his selection was a lot more understandable than yours, like. :lol:

Just a quick tactical question - if we line up a in a 4-2-3-1 formation, as people seem to want (I want this as well, may I hasten to add) and it looks something like this:

Krul

Debuchy    Taylor      Colo        Santon

Tiote        Anita

HBA                  Cabaye            Marveaux

Cisse

Where does the cover for the full backs come in?  At the moment Santon and Simpson look horribly exposed.  Do we expect Tiote and Anita to shift over (and then leave the centre backs open) or are we expecting HBA and Marveaux to track back (something which people have openly stated they shouldn't be wasting their time doing)?

Just a quick tactical question - if we line up a in a 4-2-3-1 formation, as people seem to want (I want this as well, may I hasten to add) and it looks something like this:

Krul

Debuchy    Taylor      Colo        Santon

Tiote        Anita

HBA                  Cabaye            Marveaux

Cisse

Where does the cover for the full backs come in?  At the moment Santon and Simpson look horribly exposed.  Do we expect Tiote and Anita to shift over (and then leave the centre backs open) or are we expecting HBA and Marveaux to track back (something which people have openly stated they shouldn't be wasting their time doing)?

At the moment I wouldn't have Tiote playing at all, he's more of a hindrance at the moment than help. He doesn't pass the ball fast enough which slows things down and when he does, most of the times it's either to short or to long and we give away possession. I'd play Bigi personally, I know he's young but he keeps the ball ticking over nicely. I'd have Anita as out DM. 

At the moment, Tiote looks like the naive inexperienced young lad. Bigi is far from the finished article but he already posts more mature, reliable and considered displays than Tiote does. I would love Bigi to cement his place whilst Tiote is away in Africa.

I think there's just a general confusion with our shape as Pardew tends to shoehorn our biggest names into the side. Personally I would have played a midfielder on the right rather than Cisse, maybe Abeid, to offer some protection against Baines and Pienaar. Their main players were given the run of the field which is amazing considering we supposedly spend so much time on defensive work.

I think you've nailed it with regards our shape. From our seats there was a point in the first half (possibly the Pienaar chance) when Williamson was turned and the player just ran at our defense unopposed. The crowd were wanting someone to close him down, but if Collocini went across there was a massive gap in our box. In the end Collocini back tracked before eventually going to close him down and the chance came to nothing. In the second half the players were tiring and Williamson let the Everton player and run past him, you could see Bigi sprint towards the penalty area to cover the space as it was going to be 4v3. I guess ideally if one of our CB is taken out of the game our full backs could tuck in to reduce the space, but that didn't happen and we really lacked any width as soon as Obertan came off. Ultimately we need to sort the team shape out and that isn't going to happen with square pegs in round holes.

There are plenty of things I could say about last night but the most glaring is our lack of protection at the back by our midfield, CB's in particular getting very exposed, not quite sure what the f*ck Tiote is doing at the moment!