Brighton 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 45

Dave

I wonder what excuse Pardew is going to use now????  :hmm:

They had an extra days rest

"Difficult place to come"

"Pitch wasn't great"

" You know we've come here to Brighton today and played a really good footballing side, I know Gus well and hes produced a team that would perform well enough at premiership level. Our intentions were to really attack the game, but circumstances were against us. We lost our captain and best player in my opinions in Ameobi and from then on its an uphill battle with ten men. We've had a really hard schedule against some top sides, this was probably one game too many for the lads. But we look onto Norwich where hopefully I get the likes of Cabaye and Debuchy into the side. "

I don't know why people are getting so upset about this result.  Yeah, it ain't great, but there are bigger fish to fry.

We put out an, at best, reserve side against a team that is doing reasonably well in the Championship.  What does this tell us?  It tells us that our approach to this game was to win it if we could, but it was a higher priority to protect our first team from more injuries and to rest them for the next game.

I am not saddened by the prospect of being out of the FA Cup.  I would not be saddened if we were out of the Europa league as well.  Whilst this performance has not given us anything to smile about, it is far from justification to tar-and-feather anyone.

You make valid points but at what point would you consider it okay to 'tar and feather' someone?