Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Aye, that back four not only beat Chelsea and Spurs, but got clean sheets in both matches. The one at the weekend conceded at home to Norwich, who are probably the worst team in the league at the moment.

Will Pardew be brave enough to bench Colo and go back to the backfour that kept clean sheets vs Chelsea and Spurs?

That was through luck more than good defending!  You could hardly say MYM and Willo were solid and tight against Spurs,  on another day we'd have conceded 5 or 6 and everyone would be screaming for Colo to come back in the side!

Despite the fact that he talks a lot, it's hard to tell what Pardew's thinking, most of the time.

Colo's not been on great form, he wants to leave the club and the other two have steadily improved as a combination. As CD says, it ought to be a no-brainer.

Against West Brom, I think we could also do with Mapou's pace at the back.

Very unlucky today, gutted for him. Can only assume Colo's not as set on leaving as it seems. If he's off in the summer Mapou would surely be the better choice.

I genuinely don't think Pardew would give a shit about that aspect of it.

Very unlucky today, gutted for him. Can only assume Colo's not as set on leaving as it seems. If he's off in the summer Mapou would surely be the better choice.

I genuinely don't think Pardew would give a shit about that aspect of it.

You're probably right. Obviously Colo is a class player, and Mapou will succeed him eventually anyway. Slightly bizarre that we have Mapou, Anita and Ben Arfa on the bench while Willo and Shola are playing, but we're winning I suppose!

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-utd/newcvastle-utd-boss-sorry-for-yanga-mbiwa-after-west-brom-win-1-6288849

Newcvastle Utd boss sorry for Yanga-Mbiwa after West Brom win

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew takes his place on the bench before the Premier League match between Newcastle United and West Brom

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew takes his place on the bench before the Premier League match between Newcastle United and West Brom

Published on the

01 December

23:48

Print this

ALAN Pardew admitted it was hard to look Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in the eye after leaving him out of his Newcastle United side.

Yanga-Mbiwa dropped down to the bench to accommodate Mathieu Debuchy against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

The defender had played well in the Premier League wins against Norwich City, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea.

But United manager Pardew felt Debuchy – who served a one-match ban for accumulating five bookings against Norwich – had to come in for versatile Yanga-Mbiwa as he is a natural right-back.

And Pardew – whose side won 2-1 thanks to goals from Moussa Sissoko and Yoan Gouffran – admitted it was still the “most disappointing” call he has had to make all season.

“To leave out Mapou was probably the most disappointing decision I’ve made all season,” Pardew said.

“It really hurt me. He’s done nothing wrong, yet he finds himself on the bench.

“Probably the most disappointed player, and the one I feel for the most, was Mapou. It was tough to look that guy in the eye.”

Yanga-Mbiwa was dropped after a difficult first-half at Everton in September – and the 24-year-old was also sent off against Liverpool – but he returned to Pardew’s Premier League starting XI against Chelsea early last month.

And Yanga-Mbiwa – and Newcastle – haven’t looked back.

“When he came out of the team, I put him back in and he did brilliantly,” said Pardew.

“It’s difficult at the minute to put him in front of Willo (Mike Williamson) and Colo (Fabricio Coloccini).

“That’s his natural position. Mathieu’s a natural right back. It was a tough decision.”

An indication of the strength of Pardew’s defensive options is the fact that fit-again Steven Taylor can’t even make the bench.

“It’s unlucky for Steven Taylor,” added Pardew. “He didn’t even make the bench.

“We have got a strength in depth that we didn’t have even when we finished fifth two years ago.”

Can't actually believe we have suddenly come across this strength and depth. Worrying factor about is that we may not feel the need to strenghten our side when our 10 million pound striker and our 8 million pound centre back, can't get games. Hope this isn't taking into account in January and we still look to bring in a striker and a centre back.

Guest firetotheworks

He should be playing ahead of Colo, but in the moment it's difficult to get upset about, even if it is short-sighted.