Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

You don't even need to look that far back. Just the beginning of the season, there were already people wanting Simpson back instead of Debuchy and wanted him sold. Given time to adapt, he then proved himself to be an impressive player. Despite showing signs of what he could do (Spurs' goalline clearance, recovery pace, reading of the game, comfort on the ball) and a string of good performances with a settling CB partner, Mapou was canned immediately in favour of the returning Colo. Pardewed, not given game time, openly scapegoated for losses, missing out on the WC, it's no surprise his confidence has been affected. And people are agreeing he should be sold ffs.

Not sure that's quite right. He was accused of looking little better than Simpson, and rightly so IMO. Obviously he improved massively.

Pretty sure there were a few wanting so. He did look awful but my point was that thankfully we gave him chances and he had the opportunity to adapt and show what a good player he is. Not so for Mapou.

I don't think people are advocating that he should be sold, just that the jury is out on whether or not he has the ability to become a good premier league defender. Ability is the wrong word, that he has, but it's not enough to guarantee he will be a success. He looks like he is very much a confidence player, and playing in our defence with the lack of protection from midfield and an imbecile for a manager is not going to do him any favours. While Pardew stays as manager he should move on, as should any player with ability and ambition.

Unless you have shown immense potential at a young age like the Messis and the Ronaldos, there is no guarantee that a player will become good or adapt to a league. Least you could do is to give him matches and a chance to prove himself and we didn't even do that. Confidence player? What an over-rated and over-used term. Heck, if I'm treated that shite, I would lose all confidence too.

Jury is not out at all, he was class everytime he played CB with Williamson.

The only thing the jury maybe out on is his ability to fit with any type of CB but as a defender in general it's not.

Not the lads fault he's hardly played in his position since with the partner that clearly worked.

Amazing the midfield has a - supposedly good, according to the majority on here - defensive midfielder, in addition to Anita who's duites are mainly of a defensive nature yet we're still talking about the lack of protection for the defence.

The sooner we see Tiote and Coloccini out of that side the better.

Amazing the midfield has a - supposedly good, according to the majority on here - defensive midfielder, in addition to Anita who's duites are mainly of a defensive nature yet we're still talking about the lack of protection for the defence.

your propensity to isolate individuals from the chaos surrounding the team comes to the fore again dude...pardew has one plan and when it works the defence is protected fine and well enough by those players, problem is the plan is shite and when teams don't roll over to allow us to play it everything falls apart in all areas

i don't attribute this in the main to the individual

Listen here my good mate, I'm just saying MYM and Anita are players we should be building a team and a footballing philosophy around, but both are likely to be marginalised (at best) because, in part, of the lack of ability and leadership of the players directly alongside them in the side.

Listen here my good mate, I'm just saying MYM and Anita are players we should be building a team and a footballing philosophy around, but both are likely to be marginalised (at best) because, in part, of the lack of ability and leadership of the players directly alongside them in the side.

agree for the most part, as usual i firmly believe the tiote/colo (and others tbf) negatives could be better mitigated with a better manager/coaching setup but in an ideal world aye they'd not even be starting

Tiote has been a very poor player for a while now. Flashy tackler, but leaves gaps defensively and is not assured with the ball in his own half at all, imo. It is one things to do pirouettes and the like when you never loses the ball, but he is robbed at least once a game.

Colo has definitely dusted your lass!

How many games has MYM actually started at centre-back since we signed him?

I'd be willing to bet it's about 15-20 at most.

Was 11 last season IIRC, it tells you on transfermarkt.

Guest reefatoon

Most of the women in the country too, by that logic. He's a national laughing stock amongst football fans even down here.

Fucking hell captain fruitloop, that's a barnpot comment.  He is nowhere near a national laughing stock like. Crackers.