Aston Villa vs Newcastle - 29/01/13 @ 7:45pm - Not on TV

Beren

The power of the début, you know what its like that first game seems to bring a little of everything from a player, not sure all four should start even though Santon needs a break.

cannot see Haidara starting but Mbiwa, Sissoko and Gourffran should all start.

Tino v Boro 1996 albeit from the bench

I wish people would stop putting Marveaux wide in a front three, not his position at all.

You would rather play Jonas, Obertan or Sammy? it's not like he's incapable of playing there anyway and quite frankly by far our best option until Ben Arfa comes back.

The power of the début, you know what its like that first game seems to bring a little of everything from a player, not sure all four should start even though Santon needs a break.

Straight from the plane

:D

I wish people would stop putting Marveaux wide in a front three, not his position at all.

You would rather play Jonas, Obertan or Sammy? it's not like he's incapable of playing there anyway and quite frankly by far our best option until Ben Arfa comes back.

I'd rather play Obertan there than Marveaux, yes. Marveaux will just be wasted and get isolated out there.

I would say that the team very obviously picks itself for Tuesday and if it's anything other than the blatantly obvious and we don't win, then the manager has to be sacked immediately.

Obviously I'd happily give him the bullet regardless but some people have convinced themselves that he deserves some sort of chance with these players. Fail to beat this Villa side and that should be chance over.

What's this blatantly obvious team then?

Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini, MYM, Santon, Sissoko, Anita, Cabaye, Gouffran, Marveaux, Cisse.

Looks sexy, but I wouldn't say it's blatantly obvious.

Personally I probably wouldn't see Gouffran out there, we need him as a striker option on the bench and feck knows whether he or the others can manage the full 90 minutes of a Prem game. Also considering they'll only be seeing 1 or 2 training sessions I'd be astonished to see the team have 4 new players starting, and certainly wouldn't be arbitrarily be shooting shit at Pardew if it doesn't.

Nor would I even contemplate sacking him for a draw if he made the right subs, we played well, should have won, but got unlucky.

Each to his own though, as you say.

What are the alternatives to come into that front six?

We still need serious recruitment this month if Gouffran isn't going to play there imo, because our options in those two positions either side of a front man are truly pathetic.

To be honest, for all his faults going forward and the general desire for attacking football (that I too share) part of me would see Jonas in there to assist the midfield three. While I'd love Sissoko to hit the ground running, the lack of training etc will tell to a degree, and he doesn't seem to be the defensive hardnut that the Essien comparisons suggested.

Cisse's debut goal was lovely

On Marv, he's not defensively minded enough for Pards and while I may disagree I think realistically Pards will either play him central or not at all. He does not like playing wingers who don't track back much no matter how skillful.

Guest ItalianMagpie

f***ing worried about this one.

We deperately need a win, but it'd be a so hard blow if we lose (especially after losing at home to Reading) that I'd be happy with a draw :undecided:

Guest Craig-NUFC

I'll be very surprised to see Yanga-Mbiwa start. Takes longer for a centre back to adapt, plus he'll have to learn more about the way we play in comparison to Sissoko and Gouffran.

Think Marv would get more space out there than before now that we have Sissoko centrally who will draw attention from the opposition with his runs. At worst, the few times Marv will have the ball out there he'll at least put 100% more quality balls in to the area compared to Obertan/Jonas.

I'll be very surprised to see Yanga-Mbiwa start. Takes longer for a centre back to adapt, plus he'll have to learn more about the way we play in comparison to Sissoko and Gouffran.

I think he was signed because of the way he plays not the way we see he could play, will be gutted if he is on the bench.

To be honest, for all his faults going forward and the general desire for attacking football (that I too share) part of me would see Jonas in there to assist the midfield three.

Yeah, he has such a great track record of doing that, giving the ball away time after time.

Gouffran will work his bollocks off out there, make space for Cisse and be a goal threat. Wish people would stop trying to be clever with square pegs in round holes. We've had enough of that from Pardew.

I would say that the team very obviously picks itself for Tuesday and if it's anything other than the blatantly obvious and we don't win, then the manager has to be sacked immediately.

Obviously I'd happily give him the bullet regardless but some people have convinced themselves that he deserves some sort of chance with these players. Fail to beat this Villa side and that should be chance over.

What's this blatantly obvious team then?

Krul; Debuchy, Coloccini, MYM, Santon, Sissoko, Anita, Cabaye, Gouffran, Marveaux, Cisse.

Looks sexy, but I wouldn't say it's blatantly obvious.

Personally I probably wouldn't see Gouffran out there, we need him as a striker option on the bench and feck knows whether he or the others can manage the full 90 minutes of a Prem game. Also considering they'll only be seeing 1 or 2 training sessions I'd be astonished to see the team have 4 new players starting, and certainly wouldn't be arbitrarily be shooting shit at Pardew if it doesn't.

Nor would I even contemplate sacking him for a draw if he made the right subs, we played well, should have won, but got unlucky.

Each to his own though, as you say.

What are the alternatives to come into that front six?

We still need serious recruitment this month if Gouffran isn't going to play there imo, because our options in those two positions either side of a front man are truly pathetic.

To be honest, for all his faults going forward and the general desire for attacking football (that I too share) part of me would see Jonas in there to assist the midfield three. While I'd love Sissoko to hit the ground running, the lack of training etc will tell to a degree, and he doesn't seem to be the defensive hardnut that the Essien comparisons suggested.

I can't think of anything worse than seeing him there again. I don't understand the will to pick your forwards because of the job they can do defensively. That negative attitude is what has us in this utter mess in the first place.

I don't think we need a defensive hardnut, Cabaye is a tough tackler, Anita can circulate possession and if Sissoko runs as much as he's meant to we should be able to close them down high up the pitch. I'm not sure in the modern game pure defensive midfielders are actually that useful

Cisse's debut goal was lovely

On Marv, he's not defensively minded enough for Pards and while I may disagree I think realistically Pards will either play him central or not at all. He does not like playing wingers who don't track back much no matter how skillful.

"Wingers" ffs.