Aston Villa vs Newcastle - 29/01/13 @ 7:45pm - Not on TV

Beren

The power of the début, you know what its like that first game seems to bring a little of everything from a player, not sure all four should start even though Santon needs a break.

cannot see Haidara starting but Mbiwa, Sissoko and Gourffran should all start.

Tino v Boro 1996 albeit from the bench

Cisse's debut goal was lovely

On Marv, he's not defensively minded enough for Pards and while I may disagree I think realistically Pards will either play him central or not at all. He does not like playing wingers who don't track back much no matter how skillful.

"Wingers" ffs.

If I were to say Marveaux can't play wide left instead then? I believe that's where you had him in your proposed obvious lineup?

I like Marveaux, but he doesn't have the ability to make up for not tracking back like Ben Arfa does. As we saw the last time he played wide.

I wouldn't pick my forward players based on how much tracking back they do. Did Man City pay 20 odd million for David Silva because he puts his foot in? ???

Who would you play in that role instead?

Did you read what I said? Marveaux isn't talented enough to make up for his lack of defensive prowess. The likes of Silva, Mata are Ben Arfa are though.

Let's not forget we have to do infinitely more defending than the likes of Man City and Chelsea.

I wouldn't play a wide forward on the left.

So what formation are you suggesting we play, 4-4-2?

Who plays wide then?

This idea that you have to be world class to play as an attacking player in the world's most used formation is astonishing.

I didn't say you have to be world class. You have to either be so good going forward that it doesn't matter how crap you are defensively, or you have to be prepared to do the defensive work. Especially in a team like ours that doesn't dominate most matches. That's just my opinion of course.

We've got two very attacking full backs and a lack of effective wide players (fit), so I'd play a diamond midfield with Anita holding, Sissoko and Cabaye in the middle and Marveaux as a #10 with a bit of room for rotation as they can all play in each position in a diamond.

Swansea play Routledge and Pablo Hernandez either side of Michu. Exactly which one of those "wingers" is doing the defending?

And play who up front? Cisse simply cannot play in a two.

Both of them do defending tbf, the 2 SF games being a brilliant example of them almost forgoing their natural forward instinct to do a job for the team.

That's the crux though. There's a lot of people wanting Jonas in that position for his natural defensive instinct. I don't see any difference between that and putting Taylor up front on his own so that he can come back for set pieces. There's a fair difference between asking people to do a job defensively (which Marveaux can be asked to do as well) and selecting people solely for that.

TEAM NEWS BREAKS.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/h8eUL.gif

When Williamson starts.

williamson won't start. shola starting is my worry.

Big occasion, and Shola's a big occasion player.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/funniest-home-failures/slide_fun.gif

I would like to see the following side

Krul

Debuchy  MYM  Coloccini  Santon

Cabaye    Anita  Sissoko

Marveaux

Gouffran              Cisse

:fwap:

:headbang:

what i'd play....

krul

debuchy    saylor  colo  santon

perch  anita

cabaye    sissoko  marveaux

cisse

what i'm expecting....

krul

cabaye                  anita

gouffran    marveaux  jonas

cisse

what i'd play....

krul

perch

cisse

what i'm expecting....

krul

cisse

Only 10 players in that first line-up madras.

edit: crafty

what i'd play....

krul

perch

cisse

what i'm expecting....

krul

cisse

Only 10 players in that first line-up madras.

edit: crafty

very quickly edited when i relaised i'd left anita out at first.

Again, as I think Mole mentioned earlier, the "don't play Marveaux at left wing" people are ignoring the fact that, the way that we play, our outside forwards are not tasked with touchline-to-touchline, hugging the outside play. Neither Ben Arfa nor Marveaux are Aaron Lennon/Gareth Bale wingers in that sense. Marveaux, like Ben Arfa, likes to cut-in, drive to the box from a diagonal, and ends-up playing tucked behind Cisse. Which is perfectly fine, as our central midfielders often drift horizontally too. And Marveaux and Ben Arfa drifting inside allows Debuchy and Santon space to get forward on the outside.

Between Marveaux, Obertan, Ferguson, Shola, etc., I'm playing Marveaux at left "wing" 10 times out of 10. Even if he's not a classic winger.

Don't see any reason to play Perch in this when we have less limited players available. Imo.

he can sit front of the back 2 (as it will be when debuchy and santon push on). my idea is that with them, particularly sissoko having little time to even train with his team mates but not wanting to waste him, have someone behind him purely as cover. it would be a waste of cabaye or perch to put them there and perch is more than capable

Again, as I think Mole mentioned earlier, the "don't play Marveaux at left wing" people are ignoring the fact that, the way that we play, our outside forwards are not tasked with touchline-to-touchline, hugging the outside play. Neither Ben Arfa nor Marveaux are Aaron Lennon/Gareth Bale wingers in that sense. Marveaux, like Ben Arfa, likes to cut-in, drive to the box from a diagonal, and ends-up playing tucked behind Cisse. Which is perfectly fine, as our central midfielders often drift horizontally too. And Marveaux and Ben Arfa drifting inside allows Debuchy and Santon space to get forward on the outside.

Between Marveaux, Obertan, Ferguson, Shola, etc., I'm playing Marveaux at left "wing" 10 times out of 10. Even if he's not a classic winger.

he was a classic winger in france but they don't look for the cross played in but the pass played in.

he was a classic winger in france but they don't look for the cross played in but the pass played in.

Even more reason to play him then as I would prefer all of our crosses are direct and across the floor, because we cannot win a sausage in the air at the moment, just have to look at the corners to see that.

If Perch sits in front of our back four someone else of our midfielders would have to go down and receive the ball and start our attacks as i dont see Perch as good enough to do this, that would result in us losing one of our players in a more offensive position as an outlet. A little bit the same as when we play both of Tiote and Anita, both of them coming and looking for the ball trying to do the same job in a way. Same there, we get another CM in a too deep position while losing one option further up the pitch.

Don't see any reason to play Perch in this when we have less limited players available. Imo.

he can sit front of the back 2 (as it will be when debuchy and santon push on). my idea is that with them, particularly sissoko having little time to even train with his team mates but not wanting to waste him, have someone behind him purely as cover. it would be a waste of cabaye or perch to put them there and perch is more than capable

Perch shouldn't start and I don't think for one minute that he will, Sissoko and Anita will be enough to cover the centre of defence.  I think Cabaye will be told to play further forward and support Cisse.

If Perch sits in front of our back four someone else of our midfielders would have to go down and receive the ball and start our attacks as i dont see Perch as good enough to do this, that would result in us losing one of our players in a more offensive position as an outlet. A little bit the same as when we play both of Tiote and Anita, both of them coming and looking for the ball trying to do the same job in a way. Same there, we get another CM in a too deep position while losing one option further up the pitch.

full backs getting the ball off the keeper, either centre half, perch and either sissoko, anita or cabaye if need be.

Is everyone certain Colos head is right for this?

I'm sure he'll be fine and keep it professional on the pitch. Thinking back, I was worried about whether or not his head would be fine for the Norwich game - was brilliant that day so quite confident he'll be as solid as ever on Tuesday.

Is everyone certain Colos head is right for this?

lambias will have a little tug on his sleeve before he leads the team out "and just remember, any silly stunts like deliberatly playing shit and we'll keep your registration till the very......last.....day!"

full backs getting the ball off the keeper, either centre half, perch and either sissoko, anita or cabaye if need be.

I agree that there would be other options as well, but we need one centrally in midfield as well, and if Cabaye/Sissoko go a bit deeper to look for the ball that would mean that Perch would have to push forward a bit so that we get some playing depth, but then we'd have less quality there instead with Perch in a more offensive position.