Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

dragging it on to give time for Carver to come back from his caravan golfing holiday in order to blow away the competition plus he needs time to find a working colour printer for his best coach in the league certificate.

nufc.com claim vieira talks are today

Thought Vieira was finishing up his badges today?

The final part is to try and land the Newcastle job, before then declining once offered.

That West Ham list is depressing to read. Put that with Stoke wanting Konoplyanka and Palace wanting Cabaye, football is going in a horrible direction.

I think it's great to see these "smaller" clubs have this kind of ambition. 2-3 years ago they'd have been tripping over themselves to sign some bog standard, Championship-quality clogger.

Just makes our total lack of ambition all the more pathetic in comparison.

Poll needs to be reset really, sounds like it's Garde, Vieira, McClaren or someone else that hopefully isn't John Carver.

BBC reckons they'll be appointed within the next fortnight (:lol:).

A 'fortnight' is the equivalent of 4 months, right? Because we'll definitely appoint someone within the next fortnight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3106322/Newcastle-managerial-candidate-Steve-McClaren-set-outline-club-s-future-race-vacant-hotseat-continues.html

Steve McClaren will sell his vision for Newcastle United to the club’s hierarchy this week as he moves closer to being appointed head coach.

The former Derby County boss – sacked only on May 25 - is preparing a presentation to deliver to managing director Lee Charnley and chief scout Graham Carr.

Should formal talks go well then McClaren’s arrival could be confirmed before next week.

The 54-year-old is on a shortlist alongside Patrick Vieira and reports of the former Arsenal midfielder being linked with the post have been very well received among supporters.

However, sources close to Vieira, while confirming Newcastle's interest, have suggested that the club will have to sell themselves to the 38-year-old as much as he does to them and, as of Monday night, no date had been set for their proposed meeting. Indeed, Sportsmail understands Vieira is also attracting interest from elsewhere, including a new deal at Manchester City, where he is currently head of their elite development squad.

But given the support Vieira has received on Tyneside – he polled 92% in his favour on The Chronicle website – Magpie chiefs could well be minded to present a package enticing the City youth boss to St James’ Park.

In that respect, negotiating terms and guarantees with Vieira could take a lot longer than it would with McClaren, who already has a good relationship with powerbroker Carr.

Indeed, it is the chief scout who has been championing McClaren’s cause since January and the former England coach would be willing to work within a structure in which transfer targets are identified and pursued by a committee. Vieira, meanwhile, would prefer more control.

And that will prove key given that owner Mike Ashley remains scarred by his experience with Kevin Keegan, who quit in 2008 and later won his £2million case for constructive dismissal after a player was signed against his wishes.

To that end – and given Newcastle’s preference to appoint a new boss as soon as possible – sources have indicated that it is McClaren they expect to see unveiled in the coming week.

Other factors in his favour are his salary demands – he would cost less than Vieira – and the absence of a compensation payment. McClaren’s appointment would have been met with widespread approval among fans had it come last week in the immediate aftermath of their disastrous season.

But talk of Vieira has raised the Toon Army’s hopes of Ashley aiming big, especially on the back of the billionaire promising significant investment this summer.

Either way, the new boss will be tasked with immediately identifying potential signings and working with Carr and Charnley to bring them to the club before pre-season begins in a month’s time.

Chelsea forward Patrick Bamford, Hull City defender James Chester and Marseille winger Florian Thauvin are already on a shortlist of targets.

I envision a league finish of 9th-15th place.  Don't care about the League Cup.  Token effort in the FA Cup.  I'll go along with any bargain basement players you want to sign.  Sell all the good players at will, no worries there.  I'm very good at excuses and alienating supporters.  Fucking love me a brew from a sports direct mug.  Wonga!

Stick that on a PP and you're in with a chance.

Wonder if we'll go for the cheap and easy option or not.

Hmm.

It's the perfect opportunity for Ashley to back up his big words in that interview by choosing the ambitious appointment. If McClaren's still getting interviewed after turning us down though, then it's only to give him the job.

Still reckon its going to be McClaren.  Even at shit odds I stuck some money on him.

If I could get odds on David Craig announcing it I would be sticking loads on it. 

McClaren has always been Carrs man, hes happy with the "head coach" role and the Ashley/Keith Bishop Associates/David Craig/McClaren links cannot be coincidental.

Whatever happens get it fucking done asap. So that i don't have to waste time following this saga! Even though i know it's inevitable that it'll end up in disappointment (again) i'm still stupid and following it closely.

McClaren is going to turn us down. I can feel it coming.

It's like Game of Thrones. Whatever you think the worst-case scenario is, it can always be worse.

Man, I'm all for realism but you've become the forum's irrepressible black cloud recently.

It's like Game of Thrones. Whatever you think the worst-case scenario is, it can always be worse.

Man, I'm all for realism but you've become the forum's irrepressible black cloud recently.

Name one time in the past three years where the worst possible thing hasn't happened to this club.

Name one time in the past three years where the worst possible thing hasn't happened to this club.

We didn't get relegated

We didn't get relegated

Debatable.

Pardew said yes to Palace.

Given what happened after, also debatable.

I'll admit that it felt wonderful at the time.

We didn't get relegated

Debatable.

The Pardew one definitely isn't debatable IMO

We didn't get relegated

Debatable.

The Pardew one definitely isn't debatable IMO

Like I said, it was amazing and cathartic at the time but how does it help in the long run? We have the same owners and we're stuck with a dude that's 10x worse at managing and just as odious.