Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Tuchel was absolutely fantastic for Mainz last season but isn't there some sort of issue with his contract? He was supposed to be joining Stuggart but I haven't been following the Bundesliga too closely to see what happened there.

I'm shit scared we'll end up with Moyes after reading Rio's article about him this morning. He sounds exactly like the type of manager we have now. According to Rio they always worked on stopping the opposition and negative tactics which rubbed off on the players. His training restricted what they could do any they had no confidence to express themselves going forward. It sounds frighteningly familiar to what has happened to us.

Guest Roger Kint

Someone just suggested to me that "surely Pulis is likely if Pardew goes?"

As much as I hate Pardew, my immediate reaction was "ugh". Imagine Pulis stands up for himself a bit too much for Ashley though.

Pulis short term would do wonders in organising us until we can rebuild the squad properly. Wouldnt want him beyond that though nor would he last that dealing with Ashley given the way things went with Parish

Tuchel was absolutely fantastic for Mainz last season but isn't there some sort of issue with his contract? He was supposed to be joining Stuggart but I haven't been following the Bundesliga too closely to see what happened there.

I'm s*** scared we'll end up with Moyes after reading Rio's article about him this morning. He sounds exactly like the type of manager we have now. According to Rio they always worked on stopping the opposition and negative tactics which rubbed off on the players. His training restricted what they could do any they had no confidence to express themselves going forward. It sounds frighteningly familiar to what has happened to us.

I do remember reading something about his contract when he left Mainz, but I am not sure what the deal is there.  He sounds like just the kind of manager we should be looking at though.

Guest Roger Kint

Zola would come here, IMO, and I'd snap every limb off to get him.

Based on what? Done nothing at all as manager of West Ham and couldnt get Watfords team up despite being given the best players in the league

Based on the fact he's not Alan Pardew and he actually gets his teams to attack. Doesn't mean I actually think he's any good, he'd simply have a refreshing philosophy considering what we've generally been served up over the last 4 years.

You would snap every limb off for someone you dont think is very good? Strange logic

I'd snap every limb off to not witness an Alan Pardew borefest ever again. I'm at the point where I just want us to attack and be somewhat exciting. To play some actual football.

No you said for Zola, not to be rid of Pardew. Big difference and i dont remember Watford being that exciting either

I'm confused as to how you think my wanting of Zola and dislike of Pardew are mutually exclusive? Watford played some very decent stuff during his tenure.

I'll rephrase: the dross that has been on show for the last 4 years has led me to a place of desperation where I'd happily have a manager I don't even rate that much to be put in charge of the team simply because he sets teams up to win games by as many goals as possible.

Your original post was solely about Zola. There was no mention of Pardew and the idea you would snap off every limb to get another poor manager is bizarre. I would reserve that for unrealistic mangers but not one i admit to not rating. It doesnt have to be mutually excusive to be stupid tbh

It's a bizarre situation. There are probably hundreds of suggestions on this forum for potential managers that aren't much good, but the standards have frankly been levelled and there's not much in the way of hope, so anything better will suffice. In this case, 'better' means someone who'll come in and at least try and do something entertaining, forget winning stuff.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to achieve by focusing rigidly on me not specifically mentioning Pardew in my post as if nothing can be ever be implied. This is a 'Who would you go for?' thread which directly relates to Pardew's sacking, it's inevitably going to overlap. If we were a club that was run well then I certainly wouldn't be wanting to snap anything off for Zola, but we aren't and I don't envisage us getting anyone in that's decent. All that's left is someone who won't play monumentally restrictive stuff, doesn't mind having players bought for him and isn't a total knobhead.

There's a list of 100 managers that I'd have, but the vast majority won't come here while Ashley and his structure are around. I'll avoid any facetiousness in my posts, in future, just for you  :)

I dont care about your views on Pardew man, its always implied here. Your post was very much bigging up a poor manager as though he would be great for us. That was my sole issue. The only bizarre fact is you cant work out why i questioned it :lol:

I understand why you'd question the initial post but I have no idea why you can't seem to grasp that the suggestion was more to do with the context of the current situation/plight than actually rating someone. Zola is a realistic option considering our incredibly restrictive structure, in my opinion, and would be a better fit for this club than Pardew. As a result, I'd have him here. It's no more complex than that.

Why are you dragging out this as though its a huge thing ffs, you made a ludicrous comment and i said so. There was nowt more in it regardless of you trying to make it so. Cutting off every limb man, thats for shagging Michelle Keegan not some shit manager :lol:

I would never have thought Ashley would have spent the last 4 years since promotion buying players from France and Holland before we started doing it. It used to be a running forum joke that'd we'd only sign the quintessential British-based plodders because our contacts were so poor ("LOL we'll probably sign Carlton Cole" etc). It's not totally beyond the realms of possibility that if he realises a decent coach will mean inflating values of the imported players then we could actually think outside of the box for a manager like we did for players (not that it was particularly groundbreaking stuff, but neither would be appointing a good coach).

I'm not sure Ashley would want to work with a foreign manager. Have any of the executive staff he's hired at the club not been English? It may have been a big possibility when there was more of a plan at the club (with some long-term strategy). That seems to have gone out the window, now, with our incredibly erratic transfer activity and with the news he seemingly wants to sell up soon. 

Guest Roger Kint

I hate living in London on a Monday morning. All the Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd fans discussing how great they are.

All their woes wil be forgotten now they beat a shit team at home. Chelsea fans will be rightly smug mind

I'm s*** scared we'll end up with Moyes after reading Rio's article about him this morning. He sounds exactly like the type of manager we have now. According to Rio they always worked on stopping the opposition and negative tactics which rubbed off on the players. His training restricted what they could do any they had no confidence to express themselves going forward. It sounds frighteningly familiar to what has happened to us.

I do remember reading something about his contract when he left Mainz, but I am not sure what the deal is there.  He sounds like just the kind of manager we should be looking at though.

I think the contract issues are sorted now. He's been heavily linked with the Hamburg job over the past couple of days.

I've worked out who our next manager is already, using Ashley's tried and trusted criteria.

Shit - tick!

Cockney - tick!

No-one else in their right mind would employ him at a Premier League club - tick!

Will come on the cheap - tick!

Used to manage West Ham - tick!

Used to manage Charlton - tick!

First name Alan - tick!

Got it yet?

Rio Ferdinand has hit out at David Moyes’s tactics as Manchester United manager, claiming some of them were “embarrassing”.

The former England and United defender has set out a string of criticisms of Moyes’s ill-fated reign at Old Trafford in his autobiography #2 sides.

Ferdinand said the players became confused about how Moyes wanted them to play.

“Moyes’s innovations mostly led to negativity and confusion,” he said in an extract from the book, which is being serialised in The Sun.

He added: “The biggest confusion was over how he wanted us to move the ball forward. Often he told us to play it long. Some players felt they kicked the ball long more than at any time in their career.

“Sometimes our main tactic was the long, high, diagonal cross. It was embarrassing. In one home game against Fulham we had 81 crosses! I was thinking, why are we doing this? Andy Carroll doesn’t play for us!

“The whole approach was alien. Other times Moyes wanted lots of passing. He’d say: 'Today I want us to have 600 passes in the game. Last week it was only 400’. Who cares? I’d rather score five goals from 10 passes.”

Ferdinand, who left United for Queens Park Rangers in the summer, said Moyes brought the “mentality of a small club” to Old Trafford. He revealed one of the first signs of future problems was when Moyes banned the players from their ritual of eating low-fat chips on the night before a game.

Ferdinand also disclosed his upset at being left out of the United side that played Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

He said Moyes took the players to a park to practice their set-pieces, which he said was "bizarre".

"It was amateurish," he said. "I mean, why not just send Bayern an email or a DVD"

And as they were standing in public, Moyes told Ferdinand he would not be playing as he wanted a bit more pace in defence.

"It killed me," Ferdinand said. "Inside I wanted to scream and grab him. I'm a team player, so I just had to bite my tongue and stand there. But it was probably the worst single moment I ever had at United.

"I'd never been dropped for a big game like that - and to drop that on me in front of everybody."

:pokerface:

Rio Ferdinand has hit out at David Moyes’s tactics as Manchester United manager, claiming some of them were “embarrassing”.

The former England and United defender has set out a string of criticisms of Moyes’s ill-fated reign at Old Trafford in his autobiography #2 sides.

Ferdinand said the players became confused about how Moyes wanted them to play.

“Moyes’s innovations mostly led to negativity and confusion,” he said in an extract from the book, which is being serialised in The Sun.

He added: “The biggest confusion was over how he wanted us to move the ball forward. Often he told us to play it long. Some players felt they kicked the ball long more than at any time in their career.

“Sometimes our main tactic was the long, high, diagonal cross. It was embarrassing. In one home game against Fulham we had 81 crosses! I was thinking, why are we doing this? Andy Carroll doesn’t play for us!

“The whole approach was alien. Other times Moyes wanted lots of passing. He’d say: 'Today I want us to have 600 passes in the game. Last week it was only 400’. Who cares? I’d rather score five goals from 10 passes.”

Ferdinand, who left United for Queens Park Rangers in the summer, said Moyes brought the “mentality of a small club” to Old Trafford. He revealed one of the first signs of future problems was when Moyes banned the players from their ritual of eating low-fat chips on the night before a game.

Ferdinand also disclosed his upset at being left out of the United side that played Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

He said Moyes took the players to a park to practice their set-pieces, which he said was "bizarre".

"It was amateurish," he said. "I mean, why not just send Bayern an email or a DVD"

And as they were standing in public, Moyes told Ferdinand he would not be playing as he wanted a bit more pace in defence.

"It killed me," Ferdinand said. "Inside I wanted to scream and grab him. I'm a team player, so I just had to bite my tongue and stand there. But it was probably the worst single moment I ever had at United.

"I'd never been dropped for a big game like that - and to drop that on me in front of everybody."

:pokerface:

Hope Ronaldo doesn't see this, he'll be calling Ferdinand worse than shit for daring to suggest Moyes was out of his league with his small club mentality.

I've worked out who our next manager is already, using Ashley's tried and trusted criteria.

s*** - tick!

Cockney - tick!

No-one else in their right mind would employ him at a Premier League club - tick!

Will come on the cheap - tick!

Used to manage West Ham - tick!

Used to manage Charlton - tick!

First name Alan - tick!

Got it yet?

Curbishley ? Not my ideal choice, though preferable to Pardew

The contrast between Fergie and Moyes was always going to be difficult for the Man Utd players to deal with, and the fact that Moyes has never won anything but wanted to change a setup and style of playing that had delivered so much silverware innevitably led to failure.

However, the contrast between Pardew and Moyes would be equally massive. Moyes might not be a manager who is particularly forward thinking in his approach to the game but he would be an upgrade on Pardew in every sense - coaching, tactics, player progression, professionalism, communication etc.

Hope Ronaldo doesn't see this, he'll be calling Ferdinand worse than shit for daring to suggest Moyes was out of his league with his small club mentality.

Do you downplay Moyes so much because you once said you'd keep Pardew over hiring him?

:papiss:

I've said Moyes is Pardew version 2.0, improved but still short sighted. Would take him in a heartbeat if the choice is Moyes or Pardew for another 2 years. But would much rather (pipe dream) another manager, if Hoddle could ever work under Ashley for example.

I've said Moyes is Pardew version 2.0, improved but still short sighted. Would take him in a heartbeat if the choice is Moyes or Pardew for another 2 years. But would much rather (pipe dream) another manager, if Hoddle could ever work under Ashley for example.

Same feelings for me, I would 'take Moyes' but if I had the choice I would go for someone more positive and progressive.