Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Why I always say Ashley is f***ing idiotic. Take the core of that team, fix up the defense, add some more depth in the team to handle Europa League. And have someone employed at Board level who knows football, who will tell you that many of the results came off of fortunate bounces/calls or brilliant individual performances from the spine of the team. Add a manager who can get the best out of that core, galvanize the crowd, and finally add more depth and quality in the squad and you make a full-on assault on the top 4.  And maybe, just maybe we do make CL? Ashley is in the f***ing money on a bet. Which he loves to do.  And SD.com is being touted all over the place in "good light" as he's this maverick Englshman with his passionate Newcastle side and he's a self made billionaire with a sports store empire.

Nope. Not with us. Never with us under Mike f***ing Ashley.

Yep, pretty much any of us could give him one piece of paper with a bullet-point guide on how to be absolutely worshipped on Tyneside. It would be so easy for him to do more if he gave a s***.

My extra emphasis was on him doing all of the above after the 5th season. Where we could have easily competed with others for top signatures. Should have nailed Debuchy, another LB, and a CB to partner Colo. Should have cashed the fuck in on Tiote, and brought in a better "protector" who could pass the ball too (Capoue), should have signed Cabella or Grenier to play in the #10 role (if Marv wasn't the answer) and have him ahead of Capoue/Cabaye. Should have signed a natural left winger or wide forward (PEA) to basically hold down LW, HBA RW and then let Cisse/Ba duke out the CF spot. Hell, cash in on Cisse or extend Ba, Cabaye, and HBA. Sign of mother fucking intent. Probably would have been the right time to get a Rudi Garcia or Rene Girard - someone capable of playing good football with lower budgets.

What a difference the manager can make, even in the most trying of circumstances...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/06/nuno-valencia-atletico-madrid

Mestalla feels different: renewed, excited, positive, optimistic. Nuno has worked hard to bring supporters on board. At the end of every game, he takes his players into the middle of the field to applaud them.

The best way to get them to applaud back is to win and Nuno is doing that too. “I was Lim’s man, now I am Valencia’s manager,” he said at his presentation. He is charismatic, open and energetic, and the results have been spectacular. Players speak of a new, collective spirit, and there is a clarity about the way they play too – direct, aggressive, quick and intense. More Jürgen Klopp than Pep Guardiola or José Mourinho. Against Atlético, they committed almost twice as many fouls as their opponents. Nuno wants his team to go straight for the throat. “The midfielders always pressure,” Nuno said. “I want the team to always attack.”

My own personal feeling is that De Boer wouldn't be quite as big a disaster as those two.

Admittedly Magath inherited a dreadful situation at Fulham, but somehow he managed to make it much worse. Mel came into a less fucked-up club at a far better juncture than Magath and conceded the most 90th min+ goals I think I've ever seen in one season.

Depends on what club he were to come into. People are suggesting him for the Spurs job and I think he'd be Juande Ramos MKII.

Moyes is really the only sensible choice from that list. Shame he's unrealistic because he'd have us finishing top half comfortably in spite of the shambolic start.

That's just not true.

Who else is sensible? I'd take all of them over Pardew in a second, don't get me wrong.

Moyes is probably my top choice because he'd bring instant stability and has a proven track record of getting the most out of clubs on a shoestring budget.

We don't need to hit a home run, we just need to fucking get on base again. Sorry for the baseball analogy.

Would take De Boer over Moyes straight away tbh, I'd rather gamble than take the safe option and we know Moyes has a ceiling in this league.

Aye, finishing 4th with no money.

He's hardly a dazzling appointment whichever way it's painted, he's safe, he'll probably do a good job but he isn't going to turn us into anything special.