Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

It wasn't just a matter of paying money though. Pardew was eager to leave and the Palace job had particular attractions from a personal point of view. He didn't want to miss the chance.

Of course it was a matter of money, Palace had to pay the money before they were allowed to talk to him which is something we look like we would never do.  If we are after a manager we should contact the managers club, de Boer for instance is out of contract at the end of the season so probably wouldn't cost much.  If we made the right offer to his club we would almost certainly be allowed to talk to him, not that we have the ambition to do that.

Guest antz1uk

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/thomas-tuchel-outsider-revolutionary-who-8510749

Newcastle United would wait until the summer for Thomas Tuchel, one of the brightest and most innovative coaches in Europe.

Tuchel, an outsider? their knowledge on anything other than eglish true grit such as Bruce, Allardyce, Redknapp, Brown is fucking embarrassing

I'm hibernating til we get a new head coach, and if he's a dick I'm gonna go straight back to sleep.

Hibernating? You'll end up in an emmaciated coma by the time we hire someone.

Ashley is just trying to create more apathy at SJP whilst saving the pennies. That way rather than an uproar, a shite manager appointment will get a slightly tepid shrug of shoulders instead. Uncertainty is the best way of draining passion and fight out of supporters. We're all Sp***s Di***t zombies that turn up and amble through the turnstiles in hoards.

It wasn't just a matter of paying money though. Pardew was eager to leave and the Palace job had particular attractions from a personal point of view. He didn't want to miss the chance.

Of course it was a matter of money, Palace had to pay the money before they were allowed to talk to him which is something we look like we would never do.  If we are after a manager we should contact the managers club, de Boer for instance is out of contract at the end of the season so probably wouldn't cost much.  If we made the right offer to his club we would almost certainly be allowed to talk to him, not that we have the ambition to do that.

Contract runs until 2017 actually, another reason why we will never get De Boer.

Contract runs until 2017 actually, another reason why we will never get De Boer.

I had assumed that he was coming to the end of his contract with him being quoted as saying he may leave at the end of the season.

Guest zicomartin

Thomas Tuchel speaking in English (17mins & 39mins) on his philosophy of football and other stuff.

Its over a year old, but interesting nonetheless.

https://player.fm/series/5-live-sport-specials/5lspecials-what-germany-did-next-10-oct-13

Nothing like Alan f***ing Pardew, obviously. 

I actually went looking for the release fee from  Mainz when I posted this, but couldnt find it.

I guess Mark Douglas saw this link and tracked down Raphael Honigstein (also interviewed in the above article).

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/thomas-tuchel-outsider-revolutionary-who-8510749

Subsequently,  he came up with the €15m I was looking for and probably also put his two quid on at the bookies while he was at it.

Cheers Mark! :)

It wasn't until I just looked at this thread that I remembered you haven't got a manager, it seems like ages since Pardew went (although it obviously isn't).

I do wonder, though, when things go this quiet on a manager front if you're not actually being softened up for something really underwhelming happening.

It wasn't until I just looked at this thread that I remembered you haven't got a manager, it seems like ages since Pardew went (although it obviously isn't).

I do wonder, though, when things go this quiet on a manager front if you're not actually being softened up for something really underwhelming happening.

It's one month today since the club knew he was off and they remain sluggish at best while Rome burns at an increasing rate. My standards aren't generally that high but the longer they take the better the manager needs to be tbh. You can't take over a month (probably 5-6 months realistically) all the while talking a good game then deliver Gordon Strachan.

Guest zicomartin

in theory, you would think that the 6 months of wages (still unpaid) till Jan 2015 less the six months of wages due (for the remainder of the contract after Jan) would cancel out...

obviously not  :idiot2:

Thomas Tuchel speaking in English (17mins & 39mins) on his philosophy of football and other stuff.

Its over a year old, but interesting nonetheless.

https://player.fm/series/5-live-sport-specials/5lspecials-what-germany-did-next-10-oct-13

Nothing like Alan f***ing Pardew, obviously. 

I actually went looking for the release fee from  Mainz when I posted this, but couldnt find it.

I guess Mark Douglas saw this link and tracked down Raphael Honigstein (also interviewed in the above article).

Subsequently,  he came up with the €15m I was looking for and probably also put his two quid on at the bookies while he was at it.

Cheers Mark! :)

is there anything at all to back up the 15m euros thing?

Guest zicomartin

I doubt Mark Douglas made that figure up, it's too ridiculous.

Can believe it though, as nobody has coughed up, yet.

Even Jurgen Klopp would be cheaper.

I think most of us are well prepared for that, Brummie - you would have to be an excessive optimist, even by NUFC standards, to expect anything else from the people running Newcastle United, especially at this stage of Ashley's ownership.

He has said himself that he may sell in 2016 so he isn't going to break the piggy bank to get a decent manager now.

I have followed the club for 50 years and I cannot recall so much mutual detestation between any of the previous regimes and the fans as there is currently. Ashley clearly treats the fans with contempt, views them that way and his feelings are returned with much higher interest than you can get even at a Bank in a Third World hell-hole.

This is NOT a recipe for even a modicum of success and more likely to result in relegation.

If they're holding out because they want Tuchel in the summer, I'd be okay with that. I honestly don't believe we'll be relegated, even with Carver. But they need to be clear about what they're trying to do. This pussyfooting around inspires no confidence.

And it'd be completely unacceptable for them to put the cart before the horse, i.e. lock Carver in until the end of the season with the hope, not the guarantee, of signing Tuchel, only to be left with their dicks-in-hand when he signs somewhere else. Which is something this club would absolutely do.

It's one month today since the club knew he was off and they remain sluggish at best while Rome burns at an increasing rate. My standards aren't generally that high but the longer they take the better the manager needs to be tbh. You can't take over a month (probably 5-6 months realistically) all the while talking a good game then deliver Gordon Strachan.

IF, in the unlikely event of the club trying to get a really decent manager, they are prepared to wait until the close season for him to arrive, surely it would be a far better bet to bring in someone experienced until the end of the season on a short contract ? Even Venables would be a safer pair of hands on the tiller than Carver and he does have genuine coaching ability.

Of course, anyone as reluctant to spend money on the club as Ashley is would rather risk relegation than do that....

This is my new hope. If we want to wait for someone until the summer and are happy with Carver, what's the hold up. Touch wood. Please don't appoint him tmrw. Hoping the hold up is that they are working on getting an interim and ironing out the contract etc.

I was also convinced we would appoint Garde last week in time for the two week break though.

Surely we have to hear one way or another no tomorrow?

I think most of us are well prepared for that, Brummie - you would have to be an excessive optimist, even by NUFC standards, to expect anything else from the people running Newcastle United, especially at this stage of Ashley's ownership.

He has said himself that he may sell in 2016 so he isn't going to break the piggy bank to get a decent manager now.

I have followed the club for 50 years and I cannot recall so much mutual detestation between any of the previous regimes and the fans as there is currently. Ashley clearly treats the fans with contempt, views them that way and his feelings are returned with much higher interest than you can get even at a Bank in a Third World hell-hole.

This is NOT a recipe for even a modicum of success and more likely to result in relegation.

"Ashley clearly treats the fans with contempt"

I've sometimes thought about if he sells up, and a hypothetical scenario of having two consortiums submitting offers that peek his interest.

1. A consortium whose interests lie in the business of football, and results - and harnessing the club's potential.

2. A hedge fund type (or investor) who may look at the club's profit margins, and view Ashley's way of running a club as a blue-print for success - sit on the television rights money, reap the returns, do enough to ensure top flight survival and give nothing back in return (hope)

His grudge against Whelan was taken far. This spiteful individual would take a small loss on the chin to deliver option 2 to a supporter base he hates.

Loudrop is up in the betting odds. Second fav now.

assuming this is real, interest in laudrup (mutual) maybe he's done a year in qatar and isn't too f***ing impressed?  can't think of another reason he'd be keen to come to us

I was so in awe with him when he was with Swansea.