Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

The thing to remember is that Charnley/Ashley is never going to get rid of a "Head Coach" under contract here (simply because they are not willing to pay up his contract). Pardew proved that. They will dress it up no end as "having faith in the "Head Coach"" or some shite but it's all about saving money.

So no matter how bad the football is, or even relegation imo, the new "Head Coach" will be here for the duration of their contract.

This HAS to be the right choice.

I'm not confident it will be. And I don't think McClaren is the right choice. Not as bad as some, but still not the right one.

Let's just hope Ashley doesn't go handing out any more 8 year contracts then.

I do think any future manager will be easier to remove than he was. He had an air of invincibility about him after the 5th place finish.

Maybe I'm being naive.

5th place, slimy as fuck and cockney which meant the national press refused to criticise him no matter what.

The thing to remember is that Charnley/Ashley is never going to get rid of a "Head Coach" under contract here (simply because they are not willing to pay up his contract). Pardew proved that. They will dress it up no end as "having faith in the "Head Coach"" or some shite but it's all about saving money.

So no matter how bad the football is, or even relegation imo, the new "Head Coach" will be here for the duration of their contract.

I'm not confident it will be. And I don't think McClaren is the right choice. Not as bad as some, but still not the right one.

No matter how bad the Football is yes, relegation no.  I'm sure they'd be stupid enough to leave someone in charge to the point where it becomes a risk, but they won't just sit their and happily drop down a division.  They proved they're shit scared of dropping down again when they brought forward transfers last time there was a threat of going down.  Also I don't think they'll ever give a coach a 8 year contract again.

I do think any future manager will be easier to remove than he was. He had an air of invincibility about him after the 5th place finish.

Maybe I'm being naive.

Indeed. If the manager can continually finish midtable he'll stay

Sadly yeah they will, then again Pardew couldn't even do that but still managed to survive, the fucker was some kind of extra slimy version of teflon.

Maybe I'm being naive.

Pardew wasn't backed by the board this year because of that fifth placed finish.

No, but he was backed by some moron fans who refused to turn against him because he finished 5th once.

The thing to remember is that Charnley/Ashley is never going to get rid of a "Head Coach" under contract here (simply because they are not willing to pay up his contract). Pardew proved that. They will dress it up no end as "having faith in the "Head Coach"" or some s**** but it's all about saving money.

No matter how bad the Football is yes, relegation no.  I'm sure they'd be stupid enough to leave someone in charge to the point where it becomes a risk, but they won't just sit their and happily drop down a division.  They proved they're s*** scared of dropping down again when they brought forward transfers last time there was a threat of going down.  Also I don't think they'll ever give a coach a 8 year contract again.

That's the only crumb of confidence I have in us staying in the division under Charver. But when will their tipping point come ? When we are in the bottom three or if we are hovering above it with games running out.

Maybe I'm being naive.

Pardew wasn't backed by the board this year because of that fifth placed finish.

No, but he was backed by some moron fans who refused to turn against him because he finished 5th once.

:thup: well that's true. We never really saw how the board responded to concerted fan pressure within the ground. I hope you're right that at least part of  the reason for fan quiet was that fifth finish. Because otherwise we just have an apathetic fan base happy to survive in the league.

The thing to remember is that Charnley/Ashley is never going to get rid of a "Head Coach" under contract here (simply because they are not willing to pay up his contract). Pardew proved that. They will dress it up no end as "having faith in the "Head Coach"" or some s**** but it's all about saving money.

No matter how bad the Football is yes, relegation no.  I'm sure they'd be stupid enough to leave someone in charge to the point where it becomes a risk, but they won't just sit their and happily drop down a division.  They proved they're s*** scared of dropping down again when they brought forward transfers last time there was a threat of going down.  Also I don't think they'll ever give a coach a 8 year contract again.

That's the only crumb of confidence I have in us staying in the division under Charver. But when will their tipping point come ? When we are in the bottom three or if we are hovering above it with games running out.

Yeah I wouldn't have any confidence in them making the decision to replace someone until its basically their last throw of the dice.  Personally think Carver can muddle through assuming the likes of Sissoko go nowhere and he keeps starting reasonably positive line ups (Cabella so far getting a game).  Just think player ability will carry us through despite him.

Maybe I'm being naive.

Indeed. If the manager can continually finish midtable he'll stay

So easier than Pardew then, who was allowed to finish 15th.

I see it's taken most people absolutely no time at all to take for granted the fact that Alan Pardew is no longer our manager. Honestly man, cheer up ffs, everything from here on is change. Whether it's good or bad, ultimately there will be change.

This. Years of "Anyone but Pardew!!! Bruce! JFK! A dog!" and now it's "McClaren???  :anguish:"

Not to mention the fact that McClaren was perfectly acceptable to most just a couple weeks ago. Not the most inspiring, but I don't recall there being much opposition when his name was being bandied about. Pretty much everyone agreed that he'd make a good head coach.

No

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't like, I said he'd be horrible and I stick with that :lol:

He's a dour man and so is his football.

And so he'll get kicked out of town and we'll get someone else. The spell is broken, we can be 'deluded' in the right way again.

Kicked out of town in the same way AP was?

:lol:

It's like having a fucking annoying cat that's suddenly hit by a bus. You don't go and buy another one of the same breed.

Get a dog or something FFS.

It's been explained like, but the difference between Carver and McClaren compared to Pardew is that Carver doesn't and McClaren wouldn't have the strange level of support that Pardew would because they have no PR bullshit to fallback upon, nor a 5th place finish. It wouldn't be accepted and we'd have to change again.

The entire point in Pardew having gone is that a spell has been broken, we're no longer in hellish purgatory. Whether we get better or worse from here on in there'll be change for the better eventually imo because we'll either do better/play better, or do the same/worse and it won't be swallowed in the way that it was with Pardew. Do you see where I'm coming from?

The Sun claims Claude Puel is a dark horse for the job, he has a fan and ally in Graham Carr but Puel is in contract till next year so he would cost Ashley.

Meh, At least he likes Hatem

Is he not the guy who spaffed Lyon's wad and totally failed leaving Garde to pick up the pieces?

Makes perfect sense.