Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Would be incredibly underwhelmed with McLaren.

Aye.

I hated him at Boro with his magnificent bland football and I wouldn't want him now.  he does however seem a perfect fit for Ashley.

Grim.

Aye.

I hated him at Boro with his magnificent bland football and I wouldn't want him now.  he does however seem a perfect fit for Ashley.

Grim.

I can see why they would want him but I cannot see why he would switch Derby for us.  Presumably he is the "manager" there rather than just a coach and can buy and sell who he likes.  He probably earns more at Derby than he would here.  He left Forest very quickly because he was unhappy with the set-up there and it is probably worse here.  I would also expect that he would not appreciate being told what he can and cannot say in the media.

Maybe he thinks he will get more of an influence because of a personal relationship with Carr.  And I think he still lives in Yarm so he would be nearer to his home.  Other than that, I can't see why we would be an attractive option to him.

I recall many complaints from Boro fans about negative and overly cautious football and their mocking when he regularly said they were "magnificent".  I have no idea whether his style of football over the years has improved.

His appointment would just scream continue to be average to me and that is a very depressing thought.  And it will be a joke if we end up with McLaren after months of supposedly searching for the right man to re-invigorate the club and bring a new energy and ideas is laughable.

Guest firetotheworks

I see it's taken most people absolutely no time at all to take for granted the fact that Alan Pardew is no longer our manager. Honestly man, cheer up ffs, everything from here on is change. Whether it's good or bad, ultimately there will be change.

I see it's taken most people absolutely no time at all to take for granted the fact that Alan Pardew is no longer our manager. Honestly man, cheer up ffs, everything from here on is change. Whether it's good or bad, ultimately there will be change.

This. Years of "Anyone but Pardew!!! Bruce! JFK! A dog!" and now it's "McClaren???  :anguish:"

I'd prefer other options, but I'd still be happy with McClaren.  Basically he isn't Pardew or Carver and I wouldn't know (and dread) what he's going to do every week.  Could be a year or so later I'd hate him and dread seeing his face and watching his team, but until then I'd at least have hope that won't happen and that we might actually be good.

Aye.

Grim.

I can see why they would want him but I cannot see why he would switch Derby for us.  Presumably he is the "manager" there rather than just a coach and can buy and sell who he likes.  He probably earns more at Derby than he would here.  He left Forest very quickly because he was unhappy with the set-up there and it is probably worse here.  I would also expect that he would not appreciate being told what he can and cannot say in the media.

Maybe he thinks he will get more of an influence because of a personal relationship with Carr.  And I think he still lives in Yarm so he would be nearer to his home.  Other than that, I can't see why we would be an attractive option to him.

I recall many complaints from Boro fans about negative and overly cautious football and their mocking when he regularly said they were "magnificent".  I have no idea whether his style of football over the years has improved.

His appointment would just scream continue to be average to me and that is a very depressing thought.  And it will be a joke if we end up with McLaren after months of supposedly searching for the right man to re-invigorate the club and bring a new energy and ideas is laughable.

It's the 6 months of Carver - another 3 month break then a real chance at seeing Steve in action that makes it so painful.

If Steve was starting on the weekend I wouldn't feel so negative, almost optimistic. But waiting for him... possibly.. the worst case scenarios start to pop-up.

I mean, Derby should go up so is he even going to come? What happens if he doesn't? Carver. And if Derby don't come-up it would be a negative strike against his abilities.

Looks a lose-lose.

For sure. I just can't wait till Carver goes. I would be very happy with McClaren.

This. Years of "Anyone but Pardew!!! Bruce! JFK! A dog!" and now it's "McClaren???  :anguish:"

Not to mention the fact that McClaren was perfectly acceptable to most just a couple weeks ago. Not the most inspiring, but I don't recall there being much opposition when his name was being bandied about. Pretty much everyone agreed that he'd make a good head coach.

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't like, I said he'd be horrible and I stick with that :lol:

He's a dour man and so is his football.

And so he'll get kicked out of town and we'll get someone else. The spell is broken, we can be 'deluded' in the right way again.

To wait for 6 months and risk relegation for Steve McClaren would be one of the most stupid decisions I've witnessed at the club.

I'm not even going to think about it and put it down as press speculation. Not worth getting wound up about something which could turn out to be complete bollocks.

For me, the biggest disappointment with Carver is that the whole "hope we lose" thing just fucking continues. That was supposed to be the greatest thing about Pardshit leaving, but now we can't even get that. I'm still over the moon about having got rid of the cunt, don't get me wrong, but this has put such a damper on it. If we get McLaren in the summer, I'll be underwhelmed, but he'll have my full support without a doubt.

For me, the biggest disappointment with Carver is that the whole "hope we lose" thing just fucking continues. That was supposed to be the greatest thing about Pardshit leaving, but now we can't even get that. I'm still over the moon about having got rid of the cunt, don't get me wrong, but this has put such a damper on it. If we get McLaren in the summer, I'll be underwhelmed, but he'll have my full support without a doubt.

I'll be pulling for us to win, as I have since Pardew left. Despite the doomsayers banging on, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that Carver is the long-term solution. And I don't believe a few token wins would be enough to convince them to keep him around.

I didn't like, I said he'd be horrible and I stick with that :lol:

He's a dour man and so is his football.

And so he'll get kicked out of town and we'll get someone else. The spell is broken, we can be 'deluded' in the right way again.

Kicked out of town in the same way AP was?

:lol:

It's like having a fucking annoying cat that's suddenly hit by a bus. You don't go and buy another one of the same breed.

Get a dog or something FFS.

The thing to remember is that Charnley/Ashley is never going to get rid of a "Head Coach" under contract here (simply because they are not willing to pay up his contract). Pardew proved that. They will dress it up no end as "having faith in the "Head Coach"" or some shite but it's all about saving money.

So no matter how bad the football is, or even relegation imo, the new "Head Coach" will be here for the duration of their contract.

This HAS to be the right choice.

I'm not confident it will be. And I don't think McClaren is the right choice. Not as bad as some, but still not the right one.