Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

There is precedent for Rafa keeping players around for their character. How much did Jesus end up playing last season?

Don't think this is that big of a deal. Say what you will about his quality as a player, but Gouff has always been a top professional for us.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that last bit. Wasn't it against Man City once where there was a video of him not even bothering to stop a counter attack and just walking around not trying?

Even if that is true (I honestly don't remember), that's hardly an indictment of his character. Particularly if he's not a serial offender.

Mountains out of molehills, I'll withhold my criticism until he's playing regularly next season. I'm not convinced he will.

The guy once went an entire calendar year of being a guaranteed starter on the wing almost every week, scoring 0 goals and getting 0 assists

I think we just have to accept that managers don't play him as an offensive winger, if it was goals or assists wanted then Rafa would have started Atsu every game last season. Gouffran's there to stiffen the left side defensively and provide the odd goal. Just because he's being offered a contract doesn't mean he'll be starting games next season.

this new leads me to believe rafa is operating as an actual football manager as opposed to the guy who "will walk if his demands aren't met" and so on

he'll know his budget and where he wants to strengthen as a matter of priority, if retaining gouffran for another season on the cheap (someone he knows and doesn't have to integrate) helps him in other areas then it's the best thing for the club...as i said, just like most managers do

i wouldn't keep him personally but i don't have the full picture to hand

all based on the assumption gouffran doesn't start every week obvs

• 2 weeks later...

Why did I click on that website? Why does it exist? :lol:

I'vew just done the same. It's absolutely fucking horrific like. Clicked off it without even reading as everything crashed.

What do we reckon he's on? £30k or so?

The concern I have with this (and the constantly mooted loans for youngsters) is that we're possibly not convinced of attracting quality players to take up these spots in the squad.

The optimist might suggest Rafa is planning on combining loans and compromising on keeping someone like Gouffran so he can go and drop £20m on three or four real difference makers...

Interesting argument to be had about whether we're better off bolstering the squad and removing all of the deadwood where possible, or keeping people like Colback and Gouffran involved but bringing in fewer players of a higher quality to improve the first team.

What would people prefer, given that we obviously can't have both?

Guest neesy111

Our academy is failing to deliver enough squad fillers, so keeping the likes of Gouffran on may be necessary.

As much as I think he's not the long term answer, we had far worse defenders than Dummett in the team and on the bench when we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th. Colback and Gouffran have nothing to offer, I agree.