Florian Thauvin

Yaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Such a bizarre transfer.

And I'm not convinced Cabella can't perform at a high level in this league. He went from hardly playing under Pardew to playing under John f***ing Carver. The talent is clearly there and I'd like to see McClaren give him a real chance as a #10, but that seems unlikely.

Exactly.

I don't see how we can complain about having the worst coaches ever and yet still write off someone who only got a year under those same coaches. Makes no sense.

Maybe Cabella wants out? And as has been said many, many times, we've got better options at #10. We need a winger, surely you can see that?

There were rumours early in the summer that he was unhappy here. If that's true then send him on his way. We do definitely need a winger but that has nothing to do with whether Cabella is a good player or not. All I'm saying is he hasn't had the best environment to prove himself either way.

he seems like a bit of a gamble.

His potential is high but seems like his personality could be against him?

im not really against this move (in Carr i trust) but he seems like a lad that won´t perform from day 1. Cabella is a favorite of mine and i do believe he could have a good season here....so if we shipped obertan / Gouffran then i would estatic.

As others have mentioned - defence should be first priority. 3 new defenders wouldn´t be 1 too many. backup RB, CB would could challenge Colo, quality LB.

I do not mind the colo extension - but the problem is that he as captain is first man on the team sheet.

Can't say I'm happy about this. Give Cabella a chance when fit and use him in a system that will suit him under coaches who know what they're doing.

By most accounts Thauvin has had a very poor past 2-3 seasons so I'm not sure why on earth this makes him worth a 12m fee. Seems to me we're paying money for a player we don't really need and is no better than what we already have.

Seems Thauvin has this X-factor. My friend who is a huge Marseille fan said that he's not been very good for them but that he is confident the guy is still a better player than Cabella. That he still has the ability and it's been more a case of attitude. Another Ben Arfa perhaps?

I thought it was fairly clear that Thauvin was asked to do a defensive job last year and that's why his form dipped?

Cabella has done nowt, he has talent but he's a mile off. Also seems everyone has decided that he plays central, which we have 3 players better.

I'd like to think there would be a route back for Cabella but I fear we will cash in at the first opportunity.

Thauvin is direct, we need that and he's not Obertan.

Such a bizarre transfer.

And I'm not convinced Cabella can't perform at a high level in this league. He went from hardly playing under Pardew to playing under John f***ing Carver. The talent is clearly there and I'd like to see McClaren give him a real chance as a #10, but that seems unlikely.

Exactly.

I don't see how we can complain about having the worst coaches ever and yet still write off someone who only got a year under those same coaches. Makes no sense.

Have you written off Riviere? Because the same applies there. I agree the environment hasn't been the best to flourish. However...

For me Cabella's problems weren't related to tactics as such... he just isn't strong enough, or seeminly incapable of going past a man. It's all well and good having technique and doing stepovers when no ones challenging y

ou, but he completely ineffective (barring 45 mins against Chelsea).

Riviere's a bit different because he's never been close to the national team and nobody in his own country seemed to rate him. It's not at all a surprise that Riviere hasn't done anything. Cabella on the other hand was just breaking into the national setup, so clearly people who can judge talent a lot better than Pardew/Carver saw something in him. I don't disagree with anything about his play, it wasn't good. I'd just rather give him another chance before swapping him for someone who seems like just as much of a gamble.

If we sign this lad we will have some actual strength in depth for attacking positions, albeit not a huge abundance of out and out wingers. Our defense however is shockingly bad, colo has been getting worse for the past 2 years or so and is still guaranted a start.

Should just bring back Ben Arfa man (one could dream) honestly not a big fan of Cabellla but also against giving up on him after one season, this guy could be good too.

I think he's got a lot of potential and sorry to see him go if he does, but if it's him or someone who will play every game and get Mitrovic on the pitch then so be it.

Although I have a lot of time for Thauvin, he's very lightweight, inconsistent and (at best) is as good as Cabella. He also seems to have regressed in the last 2 years when he was being touted as one of the top prospects in France so, as per, it looks like we're gambling on him realizing his potential here.

La Provence know their s***, this is clearly happening although i hope the Cabella part isn't.

I hope if Cabella goes it's just a fee agreed for purchase that we could sack off if he goes there and tears the place up. I suspect it'll be some bullshit low fee locked in for them to buy a la Mbiwa however

Excellent news.

Defence sorted then...

Oh shit hold on, bugger.

Not seen much of him to be honest, but one 'mercurial' player for another seems odd. Not strengthening anything really. unless Cabella is unhappy? Or is this lad that much better than Cabella?

Glad to see we have a joined up transfer strategy at last. My arse.

Although I have a lot of time for Thauvin, he's very lightweight, inconsistent <b>and (at best) is as good as Cabella</b>. He also seems to have regressed in the last 2 years when he was being touted as one of the top prospects in France so, as per, it looks like we're gambling on him realizing his potential here.

Not according to most French journalists and French football fans. A quick scan of Twitter confirms that. Most seem to think that he has played poorly recently but he's got HUGE potential and ability that not many others have in France (hence so many comparisons to Ben Arfa). Cabella was never rated that highly.

Potential-wise yeah, despite his erratic form last season, most people will say Thauvin has the higher ''ceiling'' as it were. On current ability, I'd put them more or less level; I would disagree that Cabella wasn't highly rated in France but Thauvin seems to have a bigger reputation.

Although I have a lot of time for Thauvin, he's very lightweight, inconsistent <b>and (at best) is as good as Cabella</b>. He also seems to have regressed in the last 2 years when he was being touted as one of the top prospects in France so, as per, it looks like we're gambling on him realizing his potential here.

Not according to most French journalists and French football fans. A quick scan of Twitter confirms that. Most seem to think that he has played poorly recently but he's got HUGE potential and ability that not many others have in France (hence so many comparisons to Ben Arfa). Cabella was never rated that highly.

Potential-wise yeah, despite his erratic form last season, most people will say Thauvin has the higher ''ceiling'' as it were. On current ability, I'd put them more or less level; I would disagree that Cabella wasn't highly rated in France but Thauvin seems to have a bigger reputation.

Is he quicker than Cabella with the ball at his feet? If so he's got a much better chance of making an impact in this league.