Metalist Kharkiv 0 - 1 Newcastle (0 - 1) - 21/02/13 - post-match from page 40

Dave

Krul man of the match, but the whole team played well throughout. Sissoko was good once again, Hiadara had an impressive debut and looked good going forward, Ameobi had a decent game had put away his penalty well. Simpson Colo and MYM had good games. However Cisse looked lost out wide once again, and I didn't see much of Anita. Overall good game, bring on the next round :)

Would've been a big shame is we didn't beat them, we were clearly the better team. Would've comfortable advanced through the tie if our other two legal goals counted. Well done to them, I never thought we would get to this point so quickly after relegation.

Much better team over the 2 legs, they seemed a completely different team when they went behind! Unbelievable saves from Krul and it was never in doubt once Shola stepped up. Hope Sissoko and Cabs recover enough for Sunday.

What are the dates of the next round?

Elated with the win and the performance generally.

Some massive kudos for Haidara, Yanga-M'Biwa, Shola and, yes, Simpson. The new boys did incredibly in their natural position, and it's wonderful to have such wonderful cover at left-back. Santon needs pushing for his place/occasional rotation tbh. M'Biwa looks imperious - a great athlete.

I have some gripes (as usual) but overall massively pleased to keep our season trophy hopes alive ;)

- Our set pieces desperately need addressing.

- Our post-lead plan is... rubbish. Just absolutely rubbish. Pardew needs several hard slaps. Inviting shots/pressure is asinine.

- If you're not going to play Cisse up front, don't play him. He's no good out wide.

Congratulations to the squad though. :thup: And a good decision by Pardew to start Shola :thup:

Absolutely. The negativity after going in front makes us extremely vulnerable. It's happened time and again this season - I don't know why he persists in having us deep when we're a goal in front. Yes, we kept the clean sheet but the accolades rest almost entirely at Krul's feet (hands).

Some massive kudos for Haidara, Yanga-M'Biwa, Shola and, yes, Simpson. The new boys did incredibly in their natural position, and it's wonderful to have such wonderful cover at left-back. Santon needs pushing for his place/occasional rotation tbh. M'Biwa looks imperious - a great athlete.

I have some gripes (as usual) but overall massively pleased to keep our season trophy hopes alive ;)

- Our post-lead plan is... rubbish. Just absolutely rubbish. Pardew needs several hard slaps. Inviting shots/pressure is asinine.

- If you're not going to play Cisse up front, don't play him. He's no good out wide.

Congratulations to the squad though. :thup: And a good decision by Pardew to start Shola :thup:

This, completely.

We needed a win and we got it. The Pardy Bus rolls on.

They're a hugely over rated team.

:lol:

They'd make a great olympic diving team though.

Metalist? Nah they're a good team with a lot of potential. They'll be challenging Shakhtar and Kiev for the league title in the next few years. Ownership is heavily-vested and has fairly deep pockets. As evidenced by all the South Americans in their side.

We've done really well tonight to come away with a win when under so much pressure.  I thought our officials were bad but the last two displays in Europe have me thinking again.  I thought Krul was brilliant, he reminded me of his debut when he was outstanding and Hiadara looks to be another bargain.

Edit: Oh s***, and Krul to my 'great performers' list obviously :lol: :lol: Hasn't had a good season as last year (where he set admittedly inordinate standards) but he was magnificent. Sissoko has become so important to us very quickly too. Instant hero.

Hope all travelling fans get back safe :thup:

Metalist are a decent outfit. We should be proud of this, and not try to run down the achievement of getting by them IMO.

Sums it up quite well :thup:

plus poin, looks like no real injuries and Debuchy, Santon, Tiote and Gouffran back for Southampton. Win that game and this season may have a happy ending

Cabaye, Krul and Sissoko all took heavy knocks, let's hope they're okay.

Metalist? Nah they're a good team with a lot of potential. They'll be challenging Shakhtar and Kiev for the league title in the next few years.

You can see potential there for sure, but 'organised' is about the highest praise I would give them off the back of those two games.

Fantastic result.  Every player was worth praise although I wish Anita had been involved more, need him to try and push on with us.  Haidara looks another good buy, more than happy with him as cover :D Sissoko is an unbelievable player, I love the feeling I'm getting when we play it to him just past the halfway line and he gets into his stride :smitten:

Tim Krul thought, TIMMY FUCKING KRULL!! MOTM easily, don't know how he pulled off that reaction save :o the one on one saves have become the norm, so much confidence in him despite the little blip earlier this season.

Now lets fuck southampton up, someone is due a humping at St James'.

Metalist? Nah they're a good team with a lot of potential. They'll be challenging Shakhtar and Kiev for the league title in the next few years.

You can see potential there for sure, but 'organised' is about the highest praise I would give them off the back of those two games.

c*** faced w*****s is the highest praise I'd give them.  Bunch of c*** faced w*****s.

on another note, hope our lads who travelled there stay safe tonight, seemed a bit hostile towards the end.

Metalist? Nah they're a good team with a lot of potential. They'll be challenging Shakhtar and Kiev for the league title in the next few years. Ownership is heavily-vested and has fairly deep pockets. As evidenced by all the South Americans in their side.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/anigif_idc-17858-1311881440-1.gif

plus poin, looks like no real injuries and Debuchy, Santon, Tiote and Gouffran back for Southampton. Win that game and this season may have a happy ending

Cabaye, Krul and Sissoko all took heavy knocks, let's hope they're okay.

Hope so, aye saw that but they should be fine I would hope. be good to get the league points now

There were some excellent performances out there tonight but this was simply a good 'graft' showing from everyone, even the likes of Marveaux who didn't do a lot with the ball, he was still getting stuck in towards the end and tackling. Great to see. I think we could have finished them off with a bit more style, but that's Pards unfortunately, I'll still take the win obviously, but I do hope he does realise at some point, that we can actually keep the ball.