Metalist Kharkiv 0 - 1 Newcastle (0 - 1) - 21/02/13 - post-match from page 40

Dave

Guest bimpy474

Rightfully we won that tie 3-0 so we 100% deserved to progress; I wasn't impressed with Metalist in the slightest.

That being said, Krul absolutely saved us tonight. Sensational effort from him in that second half. Just typical Pardew really, relying on the ability of individuals rather than leading the team to victory. I'll take it though.

Hope Hannover win and save our brilliant fans from another 3000 mile round trip.

4000 miles to be exact, just over 2000 from Newcastle to Moscow where Anzhi play their European games. Fwiw.

Aye, hugely impressed with Yanga-Mbiwa and Haidara based on their second half performances.

Pardew had us begging for them to score again and it's just as well their passing around the box wasn't great, and Krul had a stormer.

Here comes that pesky hope again. :undecided:

Elated with the win and the performance generally.

Some massive kudos for Haidara, Yanga-M'Biwa, Shola and, yes, Simpson. The new boys did incredibly in their natural position, and it's wonderful to have such wonderful cover at left-back. Santon needs pushing for his place/occasional rotation tbh. M'Biwa looks imperious - a great athlete.

I have some gripes (as usual) but overall massively pleased to keep our season trophy hopes alive ;)

- Our set pieces desperately need addressing.

- Our post-lead plan is... rubbish. Just absolutely rubbish. Pardew needs several hard slaps. Inviting shots/pressure is asinine.

- If you're not going to play Cisse up front, don't play him. He's no good out wide.

Congratulations to the squad though. :thup: And a good decision by Pardew to start Shola :thup:

Edit: Oh shit, and Krul to my 'great performers' list obviously :lol: :lol: Hasn't had a good season as last year (where he set admittedly inordinate standards) but he was magnificent. Sissoko has become so important to us very quickly too. Instant hero.

Hope all travelling fans get back safe :thup:

Metalist are a decent outfit. We should be proud of this, and not try to run down the achievement of getting by them IMO.