Metalist Kharkiv 0 - 1 Newcastle (0 - 1) - 21/02/13 - post-match from page 40

Dave

Wasn't overly impressed with the inclusion of Shola I'll be honest, but he took his pen well and was a presence up there. Very much a case of job done, very professional and no major ricks. Krul was excellent and I liked the look of Haidara and Mbiwa, get Ben Arfa back in the team and there's no reason why we can't knock Anzi out too. Will be a more difficult tie and we'll need to play well but it's a goer imo.

Well done chaps. :)

just watched the elbow on mapou early on again. i reckon chris waddle needs to see it again, "accidental" my arse.

Commentator on Fox sports said it was nothing. Certainly a raised elbow from there guy.

commentator on socsports said it "was never a foul"

I didn't fancy our chances much, but we took the initiative right from the start. By the time Metalist got going, it was too late.

Haidara looks better than Santon. He gets closer to his opponent and recovers more quickly.

Mbiwa also impressed. Hopefully Pardew will now feel confident enough to start him in the Premiership.

Shola did a good job for us, but again we saw the futile exercise of Cisse playing wide. It's clear he's not happy out there.

Very good and professional performance I thought from the team and management this evening. Aided by Metalist being reluctant to push forward due to fearing an away goal we rarely didn't have control of the game until after we scored and they went for broke which is understandable and there isn't a lot you can do about that but the subs shored it up a bit so fair play to Pardew for that, took Cisse and Cabaye off just as they were beginning to tire/get rattled n all. Didn't agree with the Cisse on the wing business mind, it's a strange one - rest him if he isn't playing 9 for me.

Krul was magnificent with some great reflex saves and general command of his area. I thought the majority played well tbh, Anita was quiet and seemed a little lost at times and Marveaux shirked a bit of work/tackles as always but thats to be expected. Even the boo boys of N-O Shola and Simpson faired well, the former with the trademark cool finish from the spot and generally won/held up the ball when required.

As for the new boys, MYM was generally solid and calm although he nearly put pay to that on 85 when he left his man, Willian IIRC, from a corner who forced Krul into a great save and then preceded to air kick the next corner meaning more pressure. Haidara showed he has potential by the bag full but he was naive at times too positionally and in the tackle but that's to be expected and something that will be worked on no doubt and in the main it was a positive display. Sissoko with another great performance as is fast becoming the norm.

Ref was poor all round, must have had a bet on overs on the fouls as he blew for absolutely everything for both teams, still he didn't affect the game adversely really unlike the first leg so I guess you can't complain too much.

Overall 8/10, happy fucking days and bring on the next round be it Anzhi or Hannover 96.

Krul MOTM, shades of Sicily.

Very good and professional performance I thought from the team and management this evening. Aided by Metalist being reluctant to push forward due to fearing an away goal we rarely didn't have control of the game until after we scored and they went for broke which is understandable and there isn't a lot you can do about that but the subs shored it up a bit so fair play to Pardew for that, took Cisse and Cabaye off just as they were beginning to tire/get rattled n all. Didn't agree with the Cisse on the wing business mind, it's a strange one - rest him if he isn't playing 9 for me.

Krul was magnificent with some great reflex saves and general command of his area. I thought the majority played well tbh, Anita was quiet and seemed a little lost at times and Marveaux shirked a bit of work/tackles as always but thats to be expected. Even the boo boys of N-O Shola and Simpson faired well, the former with the trademark cool finish from the spot and generally won/held up the ball when required.

As for the new boys, MYM was generally solid and calm although he nearly put pay to that on 85 when he left his man, Willian IIRC, from a corner who forced Krul into a great save and then preceded to air kick the next corner meaning more pressure. Haidara showed he has potential by the bag full but he was naive at times too positionally and in the tackle but that's to be expected and something that will be worked on no doubt and in the main it was a positive display. Sissoko with another great performance as is fast becoming the norm.

Ref was poor all round, must have had a bet on overs on the fouls as he blew for absolutely everything for both teams, still he didn't affect the game adversely really unlike the first leg so I guess you can't complain too much.

Overall 8/10, happy fucking days and bring on the next round be it Anzhi or Hannover 96.

Krul MOTM, shades of Sicily.

:snod:

A solid, professional performance tonight and I feel we deserved the win. Metalist didn't offer much until Pardew's masterstroke substitutions - although that couldve just been our superb defending. Sissoko destroyed them, whilst Haidara and MYM were impressive. I'm often harsh on Krul but he really did save us near the end, hope he's ok.

I didn't expect to go through after last week but it's great that our European adventure carries on :thup:

Hope our fans get home safely.

Great day. We must have been lucky ones who didn't see or hear a hint of any bother. Walked straight out of ground, asked to go through cordon and onto metro where people were mixing and singing songs. Had a great few days. I'm off to smell the radox.

:lol:

Stay safe all that are out there.

I've missed a lot of our European games this season :sad: But overall (judging from the comments on here) it does really sound like our performances in the Europa have been professional and solid enough (most of the time any way). Pleasing.

Pleased to know that we've got through to the last 16 though :frantic: