Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 17/03/13 - post-match reaction from p61

Dave

Such a gutting result, not felt so strongly about a match for a long time. I found it strange how quickly we dipped after Debuchy went off, did we tinker with the shape when Haidara came on or something? I can't imagine Wigan took too much confidence from a full back going off. We had been all over them up until that point and then they started pinging passes about, we'd not let them get any rhythm before then.

We always hear about whether tackles were malicious or not. "It was a bad challenge, but there wasn't any malice in it." What does it even mean? There are plenty of malicious challenges that are swept under the carpet, with excuses such as "well he didn't mean it." No, he might not have thought "I'm going to f*** up this lad's leg", but going in like he did, he showed a great deal of malice. He showed a blatant disregard towards the safety of a fellow professional, and it matters not one iota whether he's 18 or 38.

I don't think many would expect Martinez - or most managers - to lay in to their player in an interview. But to defend him like he did was really disappointing, I for one thought he was a bit better than that. He was actively excusing him for it due to his inexperience, naivety, whatever you want to call it. To do that is an insult to Haidara, it's an insult to everyone's intelligence and quite frankly more than anything, it's a massive slap in the face to the laws of the game that, last time I checked, were supposed to be applied equally regardless of a player's age, club, personality or indeed any other factor other than the incident itself.

The whole thing stinks to high hell and I think Martinez will have lost a few of his fans with that post-match interview. As for McManaman, well he's a marked man now and will have that tackle hanging over him for a while I think. He may well go out of his way to apologise to Haidara. That's all well and good, but perhaps he should have shown a similar level of care when he rammed his boot into his leg.

:thup:

The three match ban will be such a joke. Football should follow ice hockey and implement a system where these cunts get punished properly. If the result of these tackles would be +10 game ban where you wouldn't get paid during the suspension, maybe the cunts would think twice before going for a tackle like that.

While Halsey has been getting all the stick after watching on MOTD it has to be said he has been severely let down by his two linesmen,  one had a clear view of the challenge on Haidara

Did he? The view they showed on MOTD2 was with a zoom lens which foreshortened the distance. In practice, the lino would have been standing in the other half of the field, more than 30 yards away. What's more, at the point of contact Haidara was between McManaman and the linesman and it would have been difficult to see with the right degree of confidence where the contact was made.

We're all angry about a tackle which has put a young lad's career in jeopardy, but we have to be realistic about what we can expect from officials. They can't give what they don't see. People saying that Halsey could have sussed out what happened by what was going on before and after his view was blocked are in cloud-cuckoo land. No-body can say how long his view was blocked for, and in any case he can't send a player off based on supposition. That's basic.

Fuck me. Absolutely incredible.

Say something constructive, Dave. Surprise me.

You're totally wrong. How's that?

A fail, I'd say.

Well if an linesman can't see anything 30 yards away, how exactly can he give an offside decision?

Here are some images:

http://i.imgur.com/M8rzppd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/y3HqXcw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tMkX6lZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xxzcwSY.jpg

The fourth is from the same camera angle as the third. Your point about Haidara being in the way of the contact to the linesman's perspective is completely wrong IMO.

If he can't see that, then he should be sacked immediately because he's of no use whatsoever.

While Halsey has been getting all the stick after watching on MOTD it has to be said he has been severely let down by his two linesmen,  one had a clear view of the challenge on Haidara

Did he? The view they showed on MOTD2 was with a zoom lens which foreshortened the distance. In practice, the lino would have been standing in the other half of the field, more than 30 yards away. What's more, at the point of contact Haidara was between McManaman and the linesman and it would have been difficult to see with the right degree of confidence where the contact was made.

We're all angry about a tackle which has put a young lad's career in jeopardy, but we have to be realistic about what we can expect from officials. They can't give what they don't see. People saying that Halsey could have sussed out what happened by what was going on before and after his view was blocked are in cloud-cuckoo land. No-body can say how long his view was blocked for, and in any case he can't send a player off based on supposition. That's basic.

It's his fucking job to make sure he is in a position to see it. It was clear for seconds that there was going to be a tackle coming in there, he has to fucking see it. Hope his lies that he doesn't see it is just to make sure the little scouse twat gets a ban.

Utterly pathetic. Embarrassing.

can I just ask for anyone that went down, why did that one bloke take a massive exception to any of us lot wearing St. Patricks Day Guinness hats?  Went mental in the Red Robin and tried to start at least 3 separate fights.  Idiot.

I wasn't wearing one FWIW but witnessed him continuously boot off.

There were a few in behind the stand at half time constantly singing 'No surrender to the IRA', so was probably one of them. Some lass came out of the crowd next to them crying, but I don't know what happened. When we played Villa last season there was something similar, with this cunt taking exception to an Irish flag an getting on his mates shoulders to rip it down in the pub, singing No surrender with an angry scowl on his face.

It's his f***ing job to make sure he is in a position to see it. It was clear for seconds that there was going to be a tackle coming in there, he has to f***ing see it. Hope his lies that he doesn't see it is just to make sure the little scouse t*** gets a ban.

harsh. halsey can't see everything if players get in his way, which seems likely.

i'll be very pissed off if the premier league dont take retro action about it though.

f*** me. Absolutely incredible.

Say something constructive, Dave. Surprise me.

You're totally wrong. How's that?

:lol: Fair.

Hope that linesman got home safe after the game. I'd imagine it's a right bastard driving when you can only see 25 yards in broad daylight.

http://www.damnomg.com/pics/7/fatboy-reacts-7592.gif

Hope that linesman got home safe after the game. I'd imagine it's a right bastard driving when you can only see 25 yards in broad daylight.

He probably lives less than 25 yards from the ground, over the road from Halsey.

Some refs instruct their linesman not to get involved in situations like this and their remit is to stick to line calls and offsides.

We always hear about whether tackles were malicious or not. "It was a bad challenge, but there wasn't any malice in it." What does it even mean? There are plenty of malicious challenges that are swept under the carpet, with excuses such as "well he didn't mean it." No, he might not have thought "I'm going to fuck up this lad's leg", but going in like he did, he showed a great deal of malice. He showed a blatant disregard towards the safety of a fellow professional, and it matters not one iota whether he's 18 or 38.

I don't think many would expect Martinez - or most managers - to lay in to their player in an interview. But to defend him like he did was really disappointing, I for one thought he was a bit better than that. He was actively excusing him for it due to his inexperience, naivety, whatever you want to call it. To do that is an insult to Haidara, it's an insult to everyone's intelligence and quite frankly more than anything, it's a massive slap in the face to the laws of the game that, last time I checked, were supposed to be applied equally regardless of a player's age, club, personality or indeed any other factor other than the incident itself.

The whole thing stinks to high hell and I think Martinez will have lost a few of his fans with that post-match interview. As for McManaman, well he's a marked man now and will have that tackle hanging over him for a while I think. He may well go out of his way to apologise to Haidara. That's all well and good, but perhaps he should have shown a similar level of care when he rammed his boot into his leg.

From what Martinez said on the online bbc interview he started off with 'I haven't seen it but...'

Not saying he should be saying all this without having seen it first but it is possible he didn't realise how bad it was and was sticking up for his player as most managers would do.

I agree though about the malicious part Neil and as I said in the match thread if you have played footy then you know yourself that there is no need to do those kind of tackles and the only time you would do a tackle like that is if you are a total cunt/trying to hurt someone. You don't do one of these above he knee leg breakers by accident imo, there is always intent. 

Callum mcmanaman isn't all inncocent like Martinez claims - the little c*** posted this on Twitter about a month ago --- Look at that f***ing hashtag  :rant:

callum mcmanaman ‏@cm_macca

"Wow never been so cold on a pitch in me life that was a funny game haha are boys love a tackle.. #chaos #twofoot"

That settles it. Bindipping little f***ing prick. That needs to get plastered over Twitter.

that tweet is from weeks ago about a totally different incident.

yep- but sort of inihilates this- hes not that type of player bullshit.

:thup:

Hope that linesman got home safe after the game. I'd imagine it's a right b****** driving when you can only see 25 yards in broad daylight.

http://www.damnomg.com/pics/7/fatboy-reacts-7592.gif

:lol:

Was a fun day out but it was all tainted by Mark Halsey and that injury. Not bothered about the defeat but I'm still seething about the potential career-ending injury to a wonderful young talent. Absolutely despicable refereeing, hope Halsey gets swiftly sacked. It was all a blur after that injury tbh. I applaud Carver's actions - he's basically one of us. I'd have ripped McManaman's head off given the chance.

Wigan weren't good but we were awful - especially in the first half. But that injury :(

In other news, was good to see Dino, Neesy & Sifu :thup: Gupter briefly showed, we hid, then things went back to normal :lol:

Halsey will face no action whatsoever.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Yet the FA complain about not showing referees respect, when today showed exactly why they don't deserve it. Just seen the mackems' ref and the Fellaini handball too - insane decisions. It's not the minority of them anymore. If they become almost half-decent, maybe people will respect them.

Rant over :lol:

I applaud Carver's actions - he's basically one of us. I'd have ripped McManaman's head off given the chance.

If I was Pardew I would have just taken our players off after that tackle, it was clearly unsafe for us to carry on. I'm sorry but when things like that happen and it's allowed for the safety of players you just have to say fuck you.

The sad thing is that these tackles will still go unpunished, it's amazing how the likes of Cattermole are still allowed on a pitch these days, obviously the FA don't give a fuck.

Halsey will face no action whatsoever.

Yeah do you know why? because in his match report he will have claimed to have seen the incident but deemed it a fair challenge or not worthy of punishing, therefor the referee has acted upon it by not actually acting. It's a disgrace how they protect themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if he was now handed the Manchester derby to referee.

I only have two things to say about this game really:

The winning goal was a disgrace in terms of the blatant handball and our fucking embarrassing lack of ability to clear our lines

And, the referee was a fucking joke from start to finish

Those two points said: we always lose at Wigan, it's shit, we all hate it and it's fucking annoying, lets move on from this irritating debacle.

Those two points said: we always lose at Wigan, it's shit, we all hate it and it's fucking annoying, lets move on from this irritating debacle.

Best thing about Wigan is that once they've gone down, they're likely to stay down, and thank fuck for that. Desperately hope we get rid of the horrible bastards this year, and hope McManaman ends up playing for fucking Macclesfield, the despicable shitbag.

Suppose I'll have to go to bed now, God I'm still in a foul mood. :dave:

Best thing about Wigan is that once they've gone down, they're likely to stay down, and thank fuck for that. Desperately hope we get rid of the horrible bastards this year, and hope McManaman ends up playing for fucking Macclesfield, the despicable shitbag.

Suppose I'll have to go to bed now, God I'm still in a foul mood. :dave:

Yeah, I don't see them coming back up if they were to drop. We fucking gift them the difference between them staying up and going down every single year though.

Having said that, we've played shit at Wigan before and lost completely on merit: today we were done over by that fucking piece of shit Halsey (as well as playing crap) and it makes my blood boil tbh. I remember when he was off getting his cancer treated and a lot people across all mediums said he was one of the better refs etc... either they forgot in his absence that he's a fucking useless cunt or the standard of refereeing in our league is worthy of none of this 'respect!!11!' bullshit the FA peddle all the time.