Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 17/03/13 - post-match reaction from p61

Dave

Football's always had an annoying little habit of evening things up. Anita could have broken the guy's leg on Thursday but was only given yellow, obviously two wrongs don't make a right and Halsey's inability to deal with it is disgusting but I think I'd have been more annoyed if he'd seen it and given only a yellow. It was a horror tackle.

The winning goal is also a ridiculous decision on the handball but sometimes it's not your day. Cisse could have walked last week and ended up scoring the winner, they've slam dunked in a winner this week. I just hope it doesn't cost us, I'd like to think we've got enough on the board to be safe but those two home games are looking vital - and we've never faired well with back to back home games, let alone three in a week.

Martinez's interview:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21823907

Fast-forward to 2:07 and look out for the old eyebrow-stroke 'tell' at 2:15.

:anguish:

The man's a useless Spanish cretin, dragging his team towards relegation.

Thought Maloney's (think it was him) interview was spot on for the circumstances. Showed his manager how not to be an ignorant bastard.

You say that but Cattermole did Barton twice in a season for Wigan and he did Habib Beye and none of our players did anything about it.

Sick of our lot not putting in a vengeance tackle. Someone should have taken that c*** out big time this afternoon.

Why sink to that level? It needs to be cleared out, not trigger more violence and injuries.

If someone goes out to deliberately maim one of our players, there needs to be consequences.

Referees aren't prepared to protect them so they need to look out for each other.

I don't think revenging assaults on opposition players can be labelled as "looking out for eachother". These tackles won't be erradicated unless there are some serious reprecussions from the governing bodies. Not through players turning into eachother's life-guards and we have an NHL scenario.

Martinez's interview:

Thought Maloney's (think it was him) interview was spot on for the circumstances. Showed his manager how not to be an ignorant bastard.

Only caught a bit of it, but Maloney did seem to have more humility/contrition in his body language about the game/incidents. I understand that Martinez wouldn't publicly lambast McManaman but his tone strikes me as saying "well, these things happen".

Martinez's interview:

Yes.

Nightmare of an afternoon.  Debuchy going off was huge and conceding so quickly after making the changes but us on the back foot after a pretty bright start.

Haidara's injury is a real sickener,  a shocking challenge compounded by the ref not even awarding a freekick.

Thought we got better in the 2nd half and once Pardew brought Shola on and made the tactical switch of going 3 at the back thought once we equalised it only looked like there'd be one winner, NUFC.

In saying that thought Sissoko had a poor game by the high standards he has shown so far and Tiote had a shocker of a game. 

The ending of the game was a real killer though, the ref misses a corner for us, they go up the pitch get a corner and then miss the handball leading up to the goal.

Halsey was pathetic all game obviously missing the challenge on Haidara and the handball will get the headlines but also i was amazed he didn't send Perch off,  already booked for a kick on Kone, how he then didn't award a 2nd yellow when he slid in on the edge of the area to give a free kick was again shocking refereeing, it was a stone wall yellow.

On the plus side,  despite the defeat we climbed 1 place up the table and that doesn't happen very often.

Aye, I echo these thoughts.

Got to agree with these sentiments too.

Roberto Martinez's post-match interview wasn't very impressive, I find him overrated as a manager, now I think he's a classless little sort aswell.

I thought the same as well, he didn't show much sympathy, I hope he regrets the way he conducted himself after viewing the incident, he has certainly gone down in my estimation

Guest bimpy474

Dave Whelan's football career was ended by a bad tackle, hope he makes them come out with an apology. Seeing as he likes being on the TV so much maybe he can do it.

Disgusting for Wigan to say it was without malice. The most blatant intent I've seen since Keane on Haaland.

Most managers would have said the same.

Still not right though IMO.

Linesman absolutely bottling that.

You can tell McManaman is a cunt by the way he's up and off cheating again straight away without due care for Haidara. He knew what he'd done yet his remorse is non-existant from the start.