Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Looking forward to the diving, timewasting, faceholding, ref niggling, cheating, fight starting second leg performance from Benfica.

Hope so. Need something to work the crowd, and we all know it isn't going to be our football.

It could be if we start like we did tonight.

Not ideal, but we're still in this tie make no mistake. That's the most difficult bit over with. Once the dust settles on this I'm sure the general feeling will be that we still have a decent chance.....as long as they don't score early on.

How good are Benfica at setting up behind the ball?

Will they even look to do that in the 2nd leg?

We're not dead and buried yet,2-0 home win is very possible in any game.

Even if we get battered with possesion/time wasting all we need is a pen/Cabaye set piece/O.G and it's game on.

As can be seen by my previous posts i don't like Pardew but i don't think he can blamed for the result tonight. He set them up well but individual errors cost us. This is how I would rate the team

Krul- Possibly should have done better for the first goal but was very good apart from that saving us on occasions. 8/10

Simpson-His pass for the first goal was brilliant. Was solid enough apart from that. 7/10

Taylor- Inexcusable handball. Should be a leader in this team. 5/10

Yanga-Mbiwa- Poor throughout I thought making many errors of judgement. 4/10

Santon- Very poor mistake for second goal but decent apart from that. I liked the way he didn't hide after making the mistake and was determined to get us back in the game. 6/10

Perch- Poor enough I thought. Inneffective. 5/10

Cabaye- Solid. Wasn't spectacular but shows good leadership skills. Always better with him on the pitch. 6/10

Jonas- Started brightly going forward but faded and did some good defensive work. 7/10

Marveaux- Was dangerous at times. Our only creative player in the attacking third. Should have been left on ahead of Shola. 7/10

Sissoko- Not great. He was played almost as a second striker and I think he would be more effecitve busting forward from midfield. Qualty assist though. 6.5/10

Cisse- Got into good positions which is a good sign for a striker. Unlucky not to have a hattrick. Best performance in a while. 8/10

Guest Benfica_1904

Looking forward to the diving, timewasting, faceholding, ref niggling, cheating, fight starting second leg performance from Benfica.

Dont be like that.. you have to accept that Benfica was better!

Guest bimpy474

Watch your letterbox.

Sense the whole Benfica thing is getting a bit tiresome now. Non?

Any thoughts about the diving around though?

Guest Songoku

One cool thing:

Right now, in the Stadium, on the big screens, Benfica put a video of Newcastle against Sunderland for entertainment to all NU fans there. (dont know the year) when Shearer was there. I think NU won 2-1 that game.

:lol: You were better, but that doesn't mean you don't like to hit the floor.

One cool thing:

Right now, in the Stadium, on the big screens, Benfica put a video of Newcastle against Sunderland for entertainment to all NU fans there. (dont know the year) when Shearer was there. I think NU won 2-1 that game.

Ha, nice touch.

Berbatov must be licking his lips if he watched that. If we lose to Fulham the second leg is immaterial and we will have to rest players, as if we were then to lose to the mackems we would almost certainly be down.

Thats the spirit!

Guest neesy111

How good are Benfica at setting up behind the ball?

Will they even look to do that in the 2nd leg?

We're not dead and buried yet,2-0 home win is very possible in any game.

Even if we get battered with possesion/time wasting all we need is a pen/Cabaye set piece/O.G and it's game on.

Yeah, Benfica look a like team that will close out a game with a 0-0 after a massive free scoring unbeaten season.........................

Benfica were the better side, but I don't think 3-1 fully reflects the share we had of the game and clear cut chances. They capitalised on our mistakes, we weren't able to do the same.

Benfica were the better side, but I don't think 3-1 fully reflects the share we had of the game and clear cut chances. They capitalised on our mistakes, we weren't able to do the same.

That fucking offside late on. All Cisse had to do was square it for Sissoko to tap in.

The diving hardly influenced the outcome, but some of it was truly pathetic. Gaitan in particular was cheating a hell of a lot. Shame, as he's a very good player.

I know it didn't really affect the game, it's just massively embarrassing to watch. I don't know how to explain that to people who are watching football casually... it's absolutely disgusting from professional sportsmen.

Hope so. Need something to work the crowd, and we all know it isn't going to be our football.

It could be if we start like we did tonight.

Oh aye, forgetting we were decent for a spell today. Seems so long ago now...

I think it reflects the share you had in the game as IMO Benfica were clearly superior. But it doesn't reflect the chances you had, so can easily see why some would say 3-1 was harsh.

It's a shame the goals came about due to ridiculously poor defending in various forms.

Cisse had a fantastic performance... in a way. His movement was top class, and he highlighted what a massive danger he can be - his all round game was even better than it's been lately, but I can't tiptoe around it - with the chances he was served he should have come away with more than one goal. "Unlucky" isn't what I'd call hitting the post when put through. He tried an overly-nonchalant finish, and his shooting/finishing has not been even close to the form to justify him being that way.

I remember Vorm saying Cisse's finish was lucky after his second away at the Liberty last season. Immediately sprang to my mind.

I said much the same about Cisse in the match thread. It never seems to me that he wants to make absolutely sure when he has time to think. For a right footed striker he hits the ball with his left too often, I don't mind when there it's an instinctive finish but today for the last chance I was screaming for him to check inside and hit it with his right and he did what he does too often - something  a bit smooth and languid that doesn't deliver a goal.

Other than that they deserved the win but we could have kept it to two.

That fucking offside late on. All Cisse had to do was square it for Sissoko to tap in.

I cannot get over that. How the fuck can top level officials make a decision like that man? It's not on at all.

agree 2-1 or 3-2 would have been a truer refection and would have left us in a strong position. Anyways we go into the second leg of a Europa semi final still in with a chance, For so many years as a toon fan i dreamed of things like this.