Newcastle United vs. Benfica - 11/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

Mike

Guest bimpy474

That's a team that is set up to draw. No Marveaux or Obertan is a bit of a joke, imo. We need to score two goals ffs.

Obertan  :serious:

It really does just scream 'bottled it', the lack of attacking impetus in that team. We're basically playing five centre-midfielders behind Cisse.

Need a huge performance from YoCabs.

I'd have started Perch ahead of Williamson, too. He's proven that he's better (in this competition, no less).

That's a team that is set up to draw. No Marveaux or Obertan is a bit of a joke, imo. We need to score two goals ffs.

He's an attacker, that is my point. Hell, he's a wide player. We're playing none tonight.

He's not exactly playing much of a weakened team - who has he rested that he could have started? Not many.

That's what I thought like - Perch for Willo (not exactly a huge difference) and Marv playing probably the only real options.

All very well saying we should go all out attack but lose an early goal or 2 and it's finished...

There's a pretty decent difference between Williamson and Perch (especially against this opposition) and Marveaux has been our most creative player by far recently.  So those two are pretty significant, even more so when you consider we were already missing several key players.

Can only assume that Perch and Marveaux aren't fully fit. :undecided:

Why put them on the bench? Never understood the logic of benching someone who isn't ready to come on if there's an injury 30 seconds.

With 7 subs you probably have other options so Marv wouldn't come on if it was an early injury but he could be fit enough to play the last 30 against other tired legs :dontknow:

I'm quite mellow actually. :lol:

I fully expected him to prioritise keeping them to nil for an hour, I actually thought he'd rest Cisse too. Anyone who thought he'd just go for it hasn't been watching closely enough.

As for Williamson, Perch isn't exactly a massive step up anyway.

Can only assume that Perch and Marveaux aren't fully fit. :undecided:

Even if they are not this is our season tbh we have nothing else to look forward to, resting players is moronic.

Really angry at Pardew he's basically given up and prioritised the mackems over a European semi.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

Is that fellow Williamson as bad as you guys are saying? I'm starting  to become more and more confident  :snod:

Guest bimpy474

He's an attacker, that is my point. Hell, he's a wide player. We're playing none tonight.

Sorry mate but he's had too many chances, he's got no ability, no fight, no quality and is one of worst player i've seen in a Newcastle shirt for a while.

He simply isn't good enough.

Is that fellow Williamson as bad as you guys are saying? I'm starting  to become more and more confident  :snod:

He's average at best, and suffers massively when his confidence drops. Perch isn't great either, but importantly he's far more capable on the ball.

I fully expected him to prioritise keeping them to nil for an hour, I actually thought he'd rest Cisse too. Anyone who thought he'd just go for it hasn't been watching closely enough.

I had this same thought in the buildup to the this match.  He's so negative and predictable. 

He'll bring on Marv and HBA around the hour mark and be hailed a savior if they manage to pull us out of the shit.

He isn't a step up at all at centre back. Especially if they bring on the 6'4" Cardozo.

Flicking crippled by injuries, hope the lads do well but they have a tough assignment ahead of them. If we get through then its a testament to the team spirit. HTL!

Guest Craig-NUFC

There's no chance that we could keep a clean sheet for 90 minutes with an attacking team out. Playing 45 defensively and then changing things up at half time makes some sense. Granted it's a risk, but with how shit we are I think it's the only way we can do something without relying on luck.

Fully expect Marv for Bigi at half time and HBA for Anita on 70.