Alan Pardew

Mike

Happy to hear his priority areas for strengthening are left-wing and centre-forward, agree with that whole-heartedly and as I've said before we need something like the Bellamy/Robert signings again to really push us on. Two genuinely class players who offer something different and incisive to the team.

He's just telling us what we want to hear though, apparently.

He is.

He'll start to regain some credit if he manages to solve the problems rather than just identify them. Any f***ing retard could see where we're short, doing something about it is a different matter entirely.

He's genuinely lucky he still has the opportunity to manage us imho. 

encouraging that he's actually worked what we knew all season, namely we focussed on the opposition too much rather than our own strengths. he's also aware we need a LW and a striker.

would have been even worse if he'd been blissfully ignorant.

hopefully that's step 1 on the road to recovery. step 2  fixing the problems is the hard bit.

Happy to hear his priority areas for strengthening are left-wing and centre-forward, agree with that whole-heartedly and as I've said before we need something like the Bellamy/Robert signings again to really push us on. Two genuinely class players who offer something different and incisive to the team.

You said yourself a few days ago he has no say in transfers so...

What a pointless post. I don't understand what you get out of this stuff.

He doesn't have the final say, we all know that. He works with Carr and the regime to get deals done. Obviously he has input.

Guest bimpy474

Nicely sneaked in.

He doesn't have the final say, we all know that. He works with Carr and the regime to get deals done. Obviously he has input.

We haven't been told we're after PL experience at all. Pards used it as one of his excuses, whether that had any impact on transfer policy is extremely doubtful.

Why would it be extremely doubtful, if that is what he feels we are lacking and what he wants in the team?

Because it's not up to him.

"It's not up to him who we go after".

I just came on to ask about this, ever since i got home i keep hearing about targeting winger and striker.

Glad to hear its true. :thup:

We haven't been told we're after PL experience at all. Pards used it as one of his excuses, whether that had any impact on transfer policy is extremely doubtful.

Why would it be extremely doubtful, if that is what he feels we are lacking and what he wants in the team?

Is this real life?

Pardew might want Darren Bent, this does not mean we (as a club) will sign him because Pardew does not have final say. He does not dictate our transfer strategy. All the evidence suggests this.

This does not mean (are you still with me?) that it's not a good thing that our manager knows what our weak positions are.

Phew.

Is this real life?

Pardew might want Darren Bent, this does not mean we (as a club) will sign him because Pardew does not have final say. He does not dictate our transfer strategy. All the evidence suggests this.

This does not mean (are you still with me?) that it's not a good thing that our manager knows what our weak positions are.

Phew.

The fact that he's talking as though he's in charge of signings means he's telling us what he thinks we want to hear. Telling us that he has very little say would be telling us the truth. There's a big difference if you want to see it.

He didn't say he was in charge of signings, he explained how it works. It's very possible he was exaggerating his own role, true.

Anyway, apologies for my tone. I didn't realise such a minor bit of praise would generate this reaction.

Guest hobshobs

His words seem to support the thoery that he doesn't rate Jonas much, but he doesn't think much of the alternatives either.

So why does he make Jonas or Shola captain when the chance arises. The man is a walking contradiction.

His words seem to support the thoery that he doesn't rate Jonas much, but he doesn't think much of the alternatives either.

So why does he make Jonas or Shola captain when the chance arises. The man is a walking contradiction.

Because, and both obviously and quite reasonably, alongside Colo and Taylor they are part of a very small pool of relatively long standing and presumably respected players in the boot room.

Nothing surprising there tbh. Pardew is in a well paid job and would probably agree to have Gazza as DOF and Dave Bassett as chief scout as long as he was getting paid his very generous salary.

Neither do i tbh.

Nor me. Gouffran's certainly not the answer for the LW/LF spot. Far, far better at it than Jonas, though.

The irony being that the alternatives were all brought in during his reign.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/pardew-reveals-how-transfer-system-with-kinnear-will-work-1-5836069

AFTER a summer spent stateside, Alan Pardew’s back on Tyneside.

Relaxed and upbeat, Pardew’s adamant he’s ready for the challenges ahead.

And, it’s clear, he faces challenges on and off the pitch.

Newcastle United’s manager this week broke his silence on an eventful few weeks at St James’s Park.

The only significant arrival has been that of Joe Kinnear, the club’s new director of football. Managing director Derek Llambias, meanwhile, has left.

Kinnear’s had his say. Now Pardew’s had his.

Sat in his office at United’s Benton training ground yesterday, a tanned Pardew was keen to answer the questions supporters have been asked since owner Mike Ashley’s controversial appointment of Kinnear, understood to be holidaying in Sardinia.

Whatever the misgivings among fans about Kinnear – and there are many – Pardew is hopeful the new set-up can work.

He remains the manager. What happens on the pitch remains his domain.

And Pardew’s acutely aware what his team served up on the field last season wasn’t good enough.

But first, the Kinnear question.

“I can’t talk for Joe, and I can’t talk in terms of the decision,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“Mike has made the decision. Derek has gone.

“People assumed that Joe was doing my role, but obviously I have a seven-year contract to manage this football club, and until I’m told differently, then that’s what I’m going to do.

“Joe comes in to do Derek’s job.

“The positive thing that comes out of that is that there is a relationship that might work better for me.

“When the owner of the club brings in a football person as a director, then I have to pay respect.

“I have to listen, but ultimately, it’s my decision because I’m signed on for seven years to manage this football club.

“Trust me, anybody who knows me knows that I won’t be swayed in any way when it comes to what I think is right, unless I think there is clarity to it.

“So I’m somebody who works very much on the facts - and not the myth.”

There will be an intense focus on Pardew’s relationship with Kinnear over the coming weeks and months.

Every decision and every comment will be scrutinised.

“It isn’t too dissimilar to what we had with Derek,” added Pardew.

“Joe isn’t running the club in the same way Derek was, but in terms of the transfers, myself and (chief scout) Graham Carr will get together.

“We come up with four or five possibilities for each position.

“Then we have to nail down what is going to work for the team, where I come in.

“Graham’s job is to find names. My job is to say ‘I would favour him’, for example, and say ‘Player A’. Then Joe’s job is to see if the finance is going to work, and ultimately Player A may be out of our reach.

“Then we have to go to Player B or Player C. That’s really where the important part of Joe’s role comes in.

“He has to persuade Mike that B is a better proposition than C. I’m hoping Joe works well for us.”

Invariably, Newcastle have already been linked with enough players to go from A to Z.

And the first senior arrival – the club has signed up 16-year-old midfielder Olivier Kemen – is keenly awaited on Tyneside.

Pardew needs players, and preferably quickly.

He faced a barrage of criticism in the latter stages of last season from frustrated – and angry – fans, unhappy at how the club’s domestic season had unravelled.

“I’d like to think through all of the adversity last year I tried to carry the club with a bit of respect,” said Pardew.

“I didn’t lose my control or lose my temper with the players or the Press.

“Those qualities will serve me better this year. Hopefully, we will have a more successful season.

“The big disappointment for me last year was the performances, without a shadow of doubt. Even the games we won or drew, I felt we could have done much better.

“And if we get those performances at a better level then the results will definitely follow particularly our away form.

“That is something we are really focused on this year.”

There’s no hiding place on Tyneside when Newcastle aren’t performing.

And Pardew feels he is stronger for last season’s experiences.

Pardew went on: “When we finished fifth (in 2011-12), I didn’t have to show too many sides of my character, because the team were doing well.

“There was a lot of adulation came our way, and we had some fantastic performances. The momentum was with us.

“Last year I couldn’t have had any more turmoil put in front of me with injuries and the Europa League.

“But I think I showed the fans that I’m resilient.

“I won’t run away. I won’t hide.”