Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BREAKING.Negotiations between new MUFC manager and their club to end contract "amicably" and "imminently".

Looking very much Moyes then, probably the best all round to leave immediately imo.

That can't be Moyes then?  His contract ends in the summer anycase??

Edit:  Unless they want to appoint him ASAP?

Why would they rush for the sake of 2 weeks. Must be someone else imo.

BREAKING.Negotiations between new MUFC manager and their club to end contract "amicably" and "imminently".

Looking very much Moyes then, probably the best all round to leave immediately imo.

That can't be Moyes then?  His contract ends in the summer anycase??

Edit:  Unless they want to appoint him ASAP?

Why would they rush for the sake of 2 weeks. Must be someone else imo.

Because they want to appoint him within the next few days, get to know the players a little before they leave for the summer.

Premier League: 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013

FA Cup: 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

League Cup: 1992, 2006, 2009, 2010

Uefa Champions League: 1999, 2008

Fifa Club World Cup: 2008

Uefa Super Cup: 1992

Uefa Cup Winners Cup: 1991

Inter-Continental Cup: 1999

FA Charity/Community Shield: 1990 (shared), 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011.

The Greatest. Have the worst feeling my chest right now.

I echo all if this except for the feeling I have. It is well known my hatred of Manchester United but Sir Alex is a legend and will be a huge loss to the game. My feelings toward him have mellowed over the years but I guess his heartfelt and deeply respectful tribute to our Sir when he passed away made me see him for the real football giant that he is.

Farewell Fergie, could you give Mr. Lambsarse your contact details. I'm sure he could find a more hands on job for you.:D

"So on text we've got John from Cheltenham says he's gutted while Paddy from Dublin say's it's dark day in history of Manchester. Now we've got Carl on the line from Croydon who has been following United for 10 years..."

Whoever takes over, it's going to be interesting if it's not a smooth ride.  An entire generation of Man U fans all over the world have never known any manager other than Fergie and many won't remember his time before the titles started rolling in.  Imagine being a football fan and essentially NEVER having to force your manager out, never having to argue with each other if he's the right man for the job, never having to worry if he's going to resign, never worry if you don't replace him you're going to end up relegated or irrelevant as your rivals put increasing distance between you and them, never wondering if you're better to stick with what you've got and give him more time or throw the dice on whoever might replace him.  Going to be a hell of a culture shock for some of them.

Sid Lowe and Guilleme Balague were tweeting eachother about Real Madrid winning as much with loads more managers in time that Fergie was at United. My response below;

If a manager is good, they stay and win trophies. A manager who stops winning will then get replaced by another until that one stops winning. Its an argument of cause/effect. SAF was good so didnt need replacing, not good because he wasnt replaced.

This is in response to people saying "look, Arsenal and United are 2 of the most successful clubs in England as they have stuck with their managers". No! Its because they were great managers that they stayed for ages and didn't need to be replaced.

Rant over! :)

Arsenal haven't won a trophy for 8 years. :lol:

This conversation took place in 2005 :lol:

Seriously though they mean consistency. Sometimes it feels like they are just excusing clubs to keep crap managers. Love or hate it, look how well Chelsea have done when replacing managers. Grant, Hiddink and now Benitez have all gone on to be more successful than the manager who started the season there.

Right time to go, and in Moyes, the right replacement.

I'm not sure about him hanging around as a Director / Ambassador though. The oldies among us will remember what happened when Matt Busby stayed around behind the scenes.

Spill the beans Cronky!

It wasn’t anything dramatic. But having such a revered figure still involved with the club created a problem for his successors. They were constantly being measured against the great man, and inevitably there were concerns about Busby’s influence in the Boardroom, whether justified or not.

Having said that, the club in that era were still hamstrung by a policy of only appointing Catholic managers, which restricted the field somewhat. It was quite a while before they got someone who was strong enough to take the pressure.

I don't buy into the idea that Fergie being upstairs would be a problem for his successor... he has earned so much respect that anyone should listen to him. Also, if it's someone like Moyes the experience he can pass on would be invaluable.

I can see the point of a handover, where Fergie gives Moyes the run-down on all the players at the club, and how things are currently run. After that though, he needs to be out of the picture as far as an official role is concerned. He could always be on the other end of the phone as a mate.

As an example, what happens when Moyes wants to spend a lot of money on a player who Fergie doesn't rate that highly. Is Fergie going to sit there at a Board meeting and say nothing? Or when one of the Glazers asks him for his informal opinion?

If Moyes is good enough to be the manager, he's good enough to fly solo. I think he's good enough.

I always remember when Moyes left Preston for Everton and had to handle his first game. It was a big step up, of course. At the end of the match, Duncan Ferguson was walking off the pitch and Moyes, quietly but confidently pointed in the direction of the away fans, asking him to go over and acknowledge them. Ferguson turned round without a murmur and did as he was told like a kid that had been told off by the Headmaster. I thought then, that Moyes had the presence and confidence to last the course.

Whoever takes over, it's going to be interesting if it's not a smooth ride.  An entire generation of Man U fans all over the world have never known any manager other than Fergie and many won't remember his time before the titles started rolling in.  Imagine being a football fan and essentially NEVER having to force your manager out, never having to argue with each other if he's the right man for the job, never having to worry if he's going to resign, never worry if you don't replace him you're going to end up relegated or irrelevant as your rivals put increasing distance between you and them, never wondering if you're better to stick with what you've got and give him more time or throw the dice on whoever might replace him.  Going to be a hell of a culture shock for some of them.

:thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

If I had the power, I'd slyly change your avatar to a photoshopped Pardew face.

It's going to be Laudrup. I'm calling it right now.

Moyes woul be a disaster. Not an attack minded manager at all. They'll hate him.

Moyes managing Van Persie? Yuck!

If I had the power, I'd slyly change your avatar to a photoshopped Pardew face.

I wanted to change my profile immediately, then didn't want to annoy any of you, then thought fuck it, you'd understand.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Can't wait to see what happens now. I predict a collapse. If it's Moyes, they won't finish in the top four next season

It's an exciting prospect like.

Chelsea on the decline and aging.

Arsenal being Arsenal.

Young exciting Tottenham side.

Everton looking to break into top 4 (manager possibly leaving).

Man City bitched slapped.

Liverpool being mental.

Man U losing their manager.

Then you've got the rest of the league, which based on this season, all seem to be on equal footing.

Can't wait to see what happens now. I predict a collapse. If it's Moyes, they won't finish in the top four next season

Arsenal being Arsenal.

Liverpool being mental.

Hazard, Lukaku, Moses, Oscar, Ramires, Luiz, Azpilicueta etc says otherwise.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Arsenal being Arsenal.

Liverpool being mental.

Hazard, Lukaku, Moses, Oscar, Ramires, Luiz, Azpilicueta etc says otherwise.

Terry, Lampard, Essien, Ivanovich, Torres, Cole, Malouda, Cech,  etc etc etc (4th oldest squad in the Premier League based on mean average)

Chelsea ageing doesn't matter. They'll spunk another £100m on new players in the summer.

Sadly.