Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Right time to go, and in Moyes, the right replacement.

I'm not sure about him hanging around as a Director / Ambassador though. The oldies among us will remember what happened when Matt Busby stayed around behind the scenes.

Spill the beans Cronky!

It wasn’t anything dramatic. But having such a revered figure still involved with the club created a problem for his successors. They were constantly being measured against the great man, and inevitably there were concerns about Busby’s influence in the Boardroom, whether justified or not.

Having said that, the club in that era were still hamstrung by a policy of only appointing Catholic managers, which restricted the field somewhat. It was quite a while before they got someone who was strong enough to take the pressure.

I don't buy into the idea that Fergie being upstairs would be a problem for his successor... he has earned so much respect that anyone should listen to him. Also, if it's someone like Moyes the experience he can pass on would be invaluable.

Right time to go, and in Moyes, the right replacement.

I'm not sure about him hanging around as a Director / Ambassador though. The oldies among us will remember what happened when Matt Busby stayed around behind the scenes.

Spill the beans Cronky!

It wasn’t anything dramatic. But having such a revered figure still involved with the club created a problem for his successors. They were constantly being measured against the great man, and inevitably there were concerns about Busby’s influence in the Boardroom, whether justified or not.

Having said that, the club in that era were still hamstrung by a policy of only appointing Catholic managers, which restricted the field somewhat. It was quite a while before they got someone who was strong enough to take the pressure.

:thup: It's difficult because I'd imagine as a manager you are never likely to agree 100% with someone else above you like that and sometimes there is no right or wrong answer. At the same time you can't not listen to Fergie because of what he has achieved and the influence he will always have at the club.

I don't buy into the idea that Fergie being upstairs would be a problem for his successor... he has earned so much respect that anyone should listen to him. Also, if it's someone like Moyes the experience he can pass on would be invaluable.

It won't be if things are going fine.  If things start going tits up though then having him at the club will put the new manager and his position at the club under pressure from the media and the fans as there is a ready made replacement alreay there.  Please refer to the case of  KK Kenny vs Woy Hodgson for recent precident.

Can't believe skybet are actually giving 66/1 on Pep being the next manager ffs. :lol: Why is he even on the list.

If Mourinho hasn't already gone to Chelsea I would've thought he'd be top of the list. But I can't imagine someone like David Moyes going, he's just not good enough. Ancelotti possibly.

:dontknow: It's merely about what idiots put their money on when it comes to next manager odds really, isn't it?

That's true. Didn't really think that far, couldn't imagine anyone putting money on it. :lol:

Guest neesy111

As a mark of respect for Sir Alex Ferguson, all Premier League games this weekend will observe six minutes of added time.

:lol:

If we stay up Everton being potentially weakened is actually good news for us. Whoever they get, Man United are going to be out of league for a while you'd imagine.

If we stay up Everton being potentially weakened is actually good news for us. Whoever they get, Man United are going to be out of league for a while you'd imagine.

:thup: Get a good manager in and stay up and next season could be a good one.

:yao:

:thup: Get a good manager in and stay up and next season could be a good one.

:yao:

Fingers crossed. If Moyes goes I'd reckon Baines may follow.

Stay up and, Pardew or no Pardew, no chance this season will be repeated IMO.

Sid Lowe and Guilleme Balague were tweeting eachother about Real Madrid winning as much with loads more managers in time that Fergie was at United. My response below;

If a manager is good, they stay and win trophies. A manager who stops winning will then get replaced by another until that one stops winning. Its an argument of cause/effect. SAF was good so didnt need replacing, not good because he wasnt replaced.

This is in response to people saying "look, Arsenal and United are 2 of the most successful clubs in England as they have stuck with their managers". No! Its because they were great managers that they stayed for ages and didn't need to be replaced.

Rant over! :)

Guest neesy111

Sid Lowe and Guilleme Balague were tweeting eachother about Real Madrid winning as much with loads more managers in time that Fergie was at United. My response below;

If a manager is good, they stay and win trophies. A manager who stops winning will then get replaced by another until that one stops winning. Its an argument of cause/effect. SAF was good so didnt need replacing, not good because he wasnt replaced.

This is in response to people saying "look, Arsenal and United are 2 of the most successful clubs in England as they have stuck with their managers". No! Its because they were great managers that they stayed for ages and didn't need to be replaced.

Rant over! :)

Arsenal haven't won a trophy for 8 years. :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

BREAKING.Negotiations between new MUFC manager and their club to end contract "amicably" and "imminently".

Looking very much Moyes then, probably the best all round to leave immediately imo.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

David Gill didn't want to name drop during his interview with Sky Sports just now, but ended up name dropping David Moyes anyway.  :lol:

Guest neesy111

BREAKING.Negotiations between new MUFC manager and their club to end contract "amicably" and "imminently".

Looking very much Moyes then, probably the best all round to leave immediately imo.

That can't be Moyes then?  His contract ends in the summer anycase??

Edit:  Unless they want to appoint him ASAP?