Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't see this working well, so bring it on.

Just last week, they were saying Moyes has a terrible record in the Merseyside derby, and he's going to have many bigger games than that to come. Against better sides than Liverpool over the past ten years too.

My biggest criticism of him is that in 11 years he never fostered a true winning mentality here. Pretty much every big game we ever had, him and his team choked.

He's lucky that the winning mentality is already deeply ingrained at United with a core squad that doesn't tend to have a high player turnover.

Guest icemanblue

Just last week, they were saying Moyes has a terrible record in the Merseyside derby, and he's going to have many bigger games than that to come. Against better sides than Liverpool over the past ten years too.

Handily, he won't be managing Everton in these games.

He had the talent at his disposal to win plenty of those games. They just choked all the time.

Including from winning positions like in the Cup final vs Chelsea and the Semi vs Liverpool. This year was arguably the worst ever bottle job, at home to Wigan in the Quarters. Whole team shrivelled under the expectation that going to Wembley was a formality and Moyes s*** the bed with a negative team selection.

Guest icemanblue

He had the talent at his disposal to win plenty of those games. They just choked all the time.

Including from winning positions like in the Cup final vs Chelsea and the Semi vs Liverpool. This year was arguably the worst ever bottle job, at home to Wigan in the Quarters. Whole team shrivelled under the expectation that going to Wembley was a formality and Moyes s*** the bed with a negative team selection.

Fair play, you'd be infinitely better placed to talk about those games than me. It might be slightly presumptuous, but I do believe he'll fare better with an improved, and already existing, team ethos and better players.

And we can sympathise with you on that score.

Fair play, you'd be infinitely better placed to talk about those games than me. It might be slightly presumptuous, but I do believe he'll fare better with an improved, and already existing, team ethos and better players.

Yeah, he will do. As I said in another post further up, he's lucky that the winning ethos is already firmly entrenched within Man Utd's squad.

And we can sympathise with you on that score.

http://p.twimg.com/A2JajjBCQAArD8I.jpg:large

What the f*** have the Glazers got to do with Ron Atkinson? :lol:

Comparing the current Man United to the one that existed pre Ferguson is like comparing Virgin to Richard Branson's first record shop in the Sixties.

They know what Manchester United's success is built on. They can't compete on money alone. If they adopt the chop & change mentality of a Chelsea, they won't have the success. Bringing in young players, developing them and having long-term goals and plans. Aye if he went 3 seasons without a trophy he would probably get scked. But finish 4th and 3rd with an FA Cup would see him be given more time.

Basically, he'll got longer than Scolari/Ancelotti etc. They won't start panicking over finishing 3rd or something.

Saying that, I don't think Moyes is the man for the job but he can still do a decent one in the short-term and prove himself perhaps in the long-term.

Against popular opinion, I don't think a lot of great managers "just are". I think they need the time and patience to develop. Moyes has learnt everything he will with Everton. Will be interesting to see if he can learn and adapt to this challenge. I don't think he has the ability now but if given the time and resources? I don't know.

However, like Pardew he's a bit of a coward tactically. But with SAF to help out, he can be told to be more pro-active.

Moyes is a good manager but this is up there with Beckham marrying posh spice and having an affair with Rebecca Loos. Most of us would gladly shag both but when you have the pick of the worlds fittest women it looks like s*** decisions.

:serious:

True!

I think this is part of our problem at Newcastle. We have never tasted real success in any of our times. We don't know what works for us. So all we have is what got us the closest. And that's "man of the people", "enthusiastic", attacking focused managers that probably left too early.

And we also have owners who fail to realise what Newcastle United need to be successful.

But at Man Utd. and to a lesser extent L'pool. They know what they need.

Moyes is a good manager but this is up there with Beckham marrying posh spice and having an affair with Rebecca Loos. Most of us would gladly shag both but when you have the pick of the worlds fittest women it looks like s*** decisions.

:serious:

True!

Not that I rate Victoria Beckham, but the analogy is pretty damned good! :lol:

It's a difficult situation for Moyes, because I think he'll have to over-achieve, in the same way as Ferguson has done. Man U's current squad isn't as good as Man City or Chelsea's, but they've walked the league because of the Fergie regime.

I don't see how Moyes could have achieved more at Everton. They've been under severe financial pressure, but for the most part, he's kept them in the upper reaches of the Premiership playing decent football. His teams have always looked very positive and organised to me, but inevitably they've fallen short when it comes to breaking into the top four. They can't spend the money that would really make the difference.

It's been striking how Pienaar has looked a completely different player since his return to Everton. He looked out of his depth at Spurs. I think Moyes has that ability to get his teams playing with freedom, and yet within a structure.

As I've said before, the one thing that would worry me is Fergie watching from the Boardroom. Presumably they're relying on the present good relationship between the two men surviving the takeover. I doubt whether Mourinho or Klopp would have accepted that situation.

It's a difficult situation for Moyes, because I think he'll have to over-achieve, in the same way as Ferguson has done. Man U's current squad isn't as good as Man City or Chelsea's, but they've walked the league because of the Fergie regime.

I don't see how Moyes could have achieved more at Everton. They've been under severe financial pressure, but for the most part, he's kept them in the upper reaches of the Premiership playing decent football. His teams have always looked very positive and organised to me, but inevitably they've fallen short when it comes to breaking into the top four. They can't spend the money that would really make the difference.

It's been striking how Pienaar has looked a completely different player since his return to Everton. He looked out of his depth at Spurs. I think Moyes has that ability to get his teams playing with freedom, and yet within a structure.

As I've said before, the one thing that would worry me is Fergie watching from the Boardroom. Presumably they're relying on the present good relationship between the two men surviving the takeover. I doubt whether Mourinho or Klopp would have accepted that situation.

I can't see anyone accepting the job knowing that AF was looking over their shoulder. There'd be all sorts of issues, starting with a lack of respect from the players.

Just been re watching the highlights from the season of the famous Keegan tunnel rant. The passion of both men then man. Unreal. When Keegan loses his shit, always gives me goosebumps....One day we'll get back to challenging.

They've benefitted from an all powerful manager and real team ethos. That should remain. City still look like great individuals. Chelsea too.

Everton could've won 1 trophy. Fat Sam and Redknapp, limited managers mind managed that.

Moyes is definitely a reactive manager by nature. This season he's tried to be more pro-active admittedly.

Cronky, tbf their squad is in my opinion stronger and more balanced than City's and Chelsea's. I take the Man U bench squad over City's and Chelsea's all day of the week. They have at least two players in every position that can perform at an extremely high level.

"Watching over his shoulder" is OTT. Fergie had Busby and Robson.

AT Bayern, their greats are still around to advise and such. Hoeness and the like.

Robson ? He was the club captain who played once in a blue moon when Fergie arrived there. It was his dislocated shoulder period. And at first, Fergie wanted him out, as he was the kingpin of the drinking culture that Fergie wanted to get rid of. And did by selling Whiteside and McGrath.

Everton fans must be ecstatic!

From The Independent - Mark Hughes in the running to replace David Moyes at Everton

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/mark-hughes-in-the-running-to-replace-david-moyes-at-everton-8608728.html

To be honest, the story implies a lot based on the fact that he's not actually directly shown any interest.  If it was us though  :jones:

"Watching over his shoulder" is OTT. Fergie had Busby and Robson.

AT Bayern, their greats are still around to advise and such. Hoeness and the like.

Robson ? He was the club captain who played once in a blue moon when Fergie arrived there. It was his dislocated shoulder period. And at first, Fergie wanted him out, as he was the kingpin of the drinking culture that Fergie wanted to get rid of. And did by selling Whiteside and McGrath.

Sorry I meant Bobby Charlton not Bryan Robson.

It's good to keep these characters around. Not day-to-day but there for advice and to remind players, especially young ones of standards.