Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fair play to Man Utd for taking a risk.

I don't think its a risk at all personally, he has been ear marked because of similar ethos in style, tactics and youth development to keep the stability going.

Its about as risk-less appointment as they possible could have done but i know exactly why they did it and it makes sense tbh. 

Sorry risk was probably the wrong word, it just could have been easy for them to go out there and try and pick a bigger name. Yet they haven't went down that route and have decided to 'take a chance' on somebody that fits in with the clubs ideals.

Totally agree. I'm a fan of it.

Mourinho/whoever might have had that ST impact but Moyes will do alright long term I reckon.

It's minimal disruption to the setup there. A 'big name' would have brought their own backroom staff as well as there own 'way' of doing things. Moyes can come in, maintain the consistency throughout the club and add to it where necessary. Ferguson will always have a huge influence over what they do in the future, so they needed someone who could come in and work within those constraints. It's Ferguson's choice at the end of the day.

Just wish we'd done the same with Bobby.

:thup:

Fair play to Man Utd for taking a risk.

I don't think its a risk at all personally, he has been ear marked because of similar ethos in style, tactics and youth development to keep the stability going.

Its about as risk-less appointment as they possible could have done but i know exactly why they did it and it makes sense tbh. 

Sorry risk was probably the wrong word, it just could have been easy for them to go out there and try and pick a bigger name. Yet they haven't went down that route and have decided to 'take a chance' on somebody that fits in with the clubs ideals.

Totally agree. I'm a fan of it.

Mourinho/whoever might have had that ST impact but Moyes will do alright long term I reckon.

It's minimal disruption to the setup there. A 'big name' would have brought their own backroom staff as well as there own 'way' of doing things. Moyes can come in, maintain the consistency throughout the club and add to it where necessary. Ferguson will always have a huge influence over what they do in the future, so they needed someone who could come in and work within those constraints. It's Ferguson's choice at the end of the day.

Just wish we'd done the same with Bobby.

:thup: especially the bit in bold.

I'm obviously in a minority, I think it's going to be a complete disaster. If it wasn't for us being so fucking rotten, I'd really be looking forward to next season.

I'm obviously in a minority, I think it's going to be a complete disaster. If it wasn't for us being so fucking rotten, I'd really be looking forward to next season.

Thank you. Finally someone who sees this the way I do. Oh well, good luck to him. Nice enough guy, way out of his depth, methinks. The only way this can be a success is if he's handheld by Fergie in his new role.

The day had to come eventually that Moyes would move on, think they'll suffer a dip now unless they get someone really good in, someone better than those being mooted around.

Sensible choice from Man United, he'll work well with Ferguson for a season or two and the transition will be good for them.

Thing is, this Man Utd squad isn't as good as Fergie has made it appear. They've been hitting record points totals. I think its a very difficult position to step into for that reason, a drop in results wouldn't be surprising imo but it'll be seen that way by many.

In answer to the poll question, it's impossible to predict an outcome with any conviction. My hunch is that he'll be gone within 18 months and a merry-go-round of managers will ensue at Old Trafford, once they've realised that 'continuing the legacy' didn't work.

Can't see them dropping out of the title race at all, like.

Thing is, this Man Utd squad isn't as good as Fergie has made it appear. They've been hitting record points totals. I think its a very difficult position to step into for that reason, a drop in results wouldn't be surprising imo but it'll be seen that way by many.

This was Ferguson's last best chance of going out on top. Ferguson's played a blinder here. Everyone is lapping up the horseshit that this squad is as good as any he's previously had (yao). Think Moyes' "par" for next season will be top three. Man Utd are a machine even without Ferguson's intimidations of referees and the FA etc. Teams are still psychologically toddlers when confronted by them.

Longer-term, he'll have a job on his hand, but he's better suited to that kind of role than a better but (so far) shorter-term manager like Mourinho.

Oh yeah, anyone who believes he's handing over a brilliant squad is a bit thick.

Saying that, he is handing over quite a lot of good young players who might step up. As long as they back him in the transfer market they should challenge again no problem.

Just saw Laudrup and Martinez are in line for the vacated Everton post. Will be so fucking gutted if Laudrup or Martinez are snapped up while we've been twiddling our thumbs for about 2 years too long as to whether Pardew should be here.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I'm obviously in a minority, I think it's going to be a complete disaster. If it wasn't for us being so f***ing rotten, I'd really be looking forward to next season.

Thank you. Finally someone who sees this the way I do. Oh well, good luck to him. Nice enough guy, way out of his depth, methinks. The only way this can be a success is if he's handheld by Fergie in his new role.

Is Ferguson going to provide lessons in bullying, unsporting attitude  and general obnoxiousness -? fuckin sick of this manu love  in

:thup:

It would be more surprising to me if there wasn't a drop in results. And a huge proportion of Man United fans have never known anything else but good ones, couple of defeats and there'll be plenty swinging from the rooftops demanding his head.

There was a ST holder on 606 last week who said that he was so disgusted with Fergie playing a weakened side against Chelsea that he wasn't going to renew his ticket. Don't underestimate how overprivileged this lot are and how badly they'll react to suddenly, after twenty years, no longer having things all their own way.

I simply don't think Moyes is good enough or strong enough to carry this burden. Yes, he's a good manager and I'd love to have had him at Newcastle but he's not amazing, he's made a lot of mistakes in his time at Everton and we're talking about following the greatest manager of all time here, and into a squad which isn't anywhere near as good as the league position/points suggest. I've talked loads on here about the extra percentage that Fergie gets out of players that other top four clubs wouldn't dream of buying off them and we're about to see the consequences of losing that.

Just saw Laudrup and Martinez are in line for the vacated Everton post. Will be so fucking gutted if Laudrup or Martinez are snapped up while we've been twiddling our thumbs for about 2 years too long as to whether Pardew should be here.

This is my fear.  They get their pick before we do.  Hopefully they chose wrong and we have a better group to choose from this summer.

I wouldn't be arsed if they got Martinez, like. Everton have been a club on the 'cusp' for years under Moyes; they'd regress under Martinez and hopefully the jizz-fest surrounding him would evaporate a bit.

It's a huge appointment for Everton, incidentally.

Totally with you. Echoes of Hodgson to Liverpool, imo.