Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can see them chopping and changing managers as much as Chelsea do tbh.

For the past 20 odd years they've had nothing but stability.

Massive pressure now to hit the ground running.

Will be interesting to see what steps they take if they're say 6/7th come xmas.

Err...Spend 50m?

To me, Moyes is a strange appointment that won't work out but, if Fergie personally chose him, so be it. He must see something.

I think the main thing Ferguson sees is that he, too, is a dour Scot. The main thing the Glazers probably see, when Ferguson recommends him, is that Moyes works without much money to spend.

Anyone reckon Fergie didn't fancy going up against Mourinho again so retired early?

Yeah, that'll be exactly it. Bang on. Very astute as per.

:lol: genuinely not sure if sarcasm.

Anyone reckon Fergie didn't fancy going up against Mourinho again so retired early?

Yeah, that'll be exactly it. Bang on. Very astute as per.

:lol: genuinely not sure if sarcasm.

It is. Ronaldo doesn't like Mourinho.

The reason they want Moyes is because he's a very similar type of coach as SAF ( obviously not as good) has similar ideas of how to play the game, is similar tactically, has a similar emphasis on bring through youth etc etc.

I could go on really but you get the point, they want to continue the stability they have had and Moyes IMO will provide that at least in the league.

They will still challenge for the league every year IMO, where Moyes may came up short is in Europe but lets be honest Fergie didn't exactly dominate Europe either.

I have some reservations about the overall quality of Moyes in some areas but its quite obvious why they appointed him.

The reason they want Moyes is because he's a very similar type of coach as SAF ( obviously not as good) has similar ideas of how to play the game, is similar tactically, has a similar emphasis on bring through youth etc etc.

I could go on really but you get the point, they want to continue the stability they have had and Moyes IMO will provide that at least in the league.

They will still challenge for the league every year IMO, where Moyes may came up short is in Europe but lets be honest Fergie didn't exactly dominate Europe either.

I have some reservations about the overall quality of Moyes in some areas but its quite obvious why they appointed him.

I think they want Moyes because he'll learn off Ferguson without making the slightest peep in terms of wanting to stamp his own authority on the club. Effectively he'll be SAF's understudy, I think his influence will still be very strong next year.

I think they want Moyes because he'll learn off Ferguson without making the slightest peep in terms of wanting to stamp his own authority on the club. Effectively he'll be SAF's understudy, I think his influence will still be very strong next year.

That too agree completely. :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

Sell Rooney & Nani, replace with Ronaldo & Bale

:fwap:

I was talking about this before and I think buying Ronaldo and Bale would mean that you have half of the player that Bale currently is.

Shortly after we appointed McLeish, Randy Lerner gave one of his "once every ten years" interviews, and said that he was so sure the McFuck appointment was right because shortly after, he'd received a letter from "Sir Alex" congratulating him on the appointment.

As if that wasn't enough, he then went on to say that "when someone like Sir Alex tells you that, you listen", and - even more excruciatingly - that he "kept it safely under lock and key".

I honestly think that, with the exception of several of our performances under said McFuck, it was the most embarassed I have ever been as an Aston Villa supporter.

It also made me think that, no matter how much good work they do, or how much they try to give off the vibe that they "get it", Americans will never, ever truly understand English football.

If you'd relayed that story to any English football supporter, they'd wince, but an American who actually owns a club, and has shown himself to be one of the better US owners, just had no idea what he was saying.

There will always be an elusive 5% that they just do not, and can not, get.

Oh, and telling that story, reminds me, I wonder how much Ferguson destabilised other teams in the top flight by recommending his fucking hopeless former players as managers.

I don't like Ferguson as a person (though most who know him seem to suggest he's a really great guy) but in many ways it's sad to see the end of such an era under such a sensational manager. I certainly won't miss seeing the same club winning nearly everything every year and it'll be very interesting to see what happens from here, but the fact is that football has changed irrevocably since he was given time to build a legacy and take the club to where it is now. The money is too significant, the stakes are too high and (ironically) the chasm between the haves and the have nots is bigger than ever. This will never happen again.

All day I've heard people saying how sad they are about this (these are Newcastle fans) but I don't even feel a bit of sadness. Well done for being great for a club I don't like, thanks for all the miserable times and cheers for calling us a wee club.

All day I've heard people saying how sad they are about this (these are Newcastle fans) but I don't even feel a bit of sadness. Well done for being great for a club I don't like, thanks for all the miserable times and cheers for calling us a wee club.

Touché, I can't argue with that. :lol:

Absolutely.

Fucking Alisatir Campbell on Newsnight blabbing about Fergie, fuck off media whore.

Although he dished up a serious plate of Twitter fuck-you to Cameron today.

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 13h

Sir Alex Ferguson’s achievement at #MUFC has been exceptional. Hopefully his retirement will make life a little easier for my team #AVFC

Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 8h

Got a feeling Cameron doesn't know who Peter Withe or Tony Morley are #VillaSchmilla

Ironically, and annoyingly, Cameron's avfc credentials are pretty impressive, in an uncle-was-chairman style.

I don't think you mean that bit.

It's a bit sad in that it feels like a final farewell to the 'good old days' when I thought footballers weren't all utter t***s, and football clubs had a soul.

:thup:

To think he played in  the 60's and managed throughout the 70's and 80's does make you feel that in a few years we'll have lost touch with the 'good old days' altogether.

Guest firetotheworks

It's a bit sad in that it feels like a final farewell to the 'good old days' when I thought footballers weren't all utter t***s, and football clubs had a soul.

:thup:

To think he played in  the 60's and managed throughout the 70's and 80's does make you feel that in a few years we'll have lost touch with the 'good old days' altogether.

Nah, not a chance man. He's the footballer manager version of Mom from Futurama. Based on the idea of sound moral footing and earthy roots, but the willing creator, face and mastermind of THE footballing multi-national.

Damn straight.

Ferguson isn't some fantastic link with a now gone football past. He's the footballing face of the glossy Sky machine which sneers at you on Sunday afternoons and Monday night.