Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roger Kint

Don't think their players can just "decide to leave" little complication called a contract.

:lol:

Going to be annoying battling Everton for the "best of the rest" for our new manager as they are more attractive than us currently. (still holding out hope Pardew will be sacked)

How attractive would they really be? Assuming we stay up and assuming that Ashley is even going to sack Pardew Everton arent that good a proposition. No money, good chance a few stars decide to leave with the manager so no guarantee any manager would chose them over us. Pointless debate really as i dont think we will be in for a new manager this summer.

Don't think they necessarily are. Their owners also dont have a great reputation, I think a good manager could do more with our squad. They may feel there theyll get backed for longer but theyre not going to get funds.

Guest Roger Kint

Going to be annoying battling Everton for the "best of the rest" for our new manager as they are more attractive than us currently. (still holding out hope Pardew will be sacked)

How attractive would they really be? Assuming we stay up and assuming that Ashley is even going to sack Pardew Everton arent that good a proposition. No money, good chance a few stars decide to leave with the manager so no guarantee any manager would chose them over us. Pointless debate really as i dont think we will be in for a new manager this summer.

Don't think they necessarily are. Their owners also dont have a great reputation, I think a good manager could do more with our squad. They may feel their theyll get backed for longer but theyre not going to get funds.

They will get more funds here than Everton unless i imagined January.

I just get the horrible feeling that even though Martinez has come across as a massive prick at times this season if he goes to Everton and we keep Pardew :anguish: then they will comfortably stay ahead of us. Whereas if we play this right, get in a decent manager, keep our key players and add a few more in the summer then we could be right back amongst 6th-7th next season.

Gutted, unsurprised, excited and many more emotions all in one.

In 11 years, everything and nothing has changed. From when David Unsworth twatted in a piledriver against Fulham after 30 seconds of Moyes' first game, to this very day - what has actually changed at Everton? We're still a big club with plenty of history, and we still haven't won a trophy since Paul Rideout. You could argue very little's changed.

But everything has, and that's been predominantly the work of one man: Moyes. He has transformed us from regular relegation candidates (and I mean regular) to just as regular top 6 challengers. Cahill, Arteta, Lescott, Pienaar, Fellaini, Jagielka, Baines. Just some of the obscenely good deals he's made over the years. He's fostered a team spirit second to none IMO. Just for some contrast, go back to our team when Moyes took over: the likes of Weir, Stubbs, Li Tie, Carsley, Gravesen, Kevin Campell, Marcus fucking Bent. Big Dunc. How the hell he got most of those players into 4th I still don't know to this day.

So yeah, for me, the praise he gets is entirely justified in terms of the job he's done and where we are now compared to where we were.

But this is the paradox IMO, and this may not be a universally popular opinion among Everton fans: the same guy who has worked wonders in getting us to where we are is the same guy who doesn't have what it takes to bring us to the next level. It's very easy to point at the lack of money and yeah, it's been a massive stumbling block. But the finances shouldn't (but they do) overshadow the holes in Moyes' blueprint.

Far, far too many times in big games, we choked. Missed a few chances? Sometimes. Poor refereeing performance? On occasion you can claim this. But the recurring theme has been our negativity when it mattered. Under Moyes, we've become hard to beat, which is obviously a great asset. But being hard to beat is not the same as winning games, and this IMO is where Moyes has fallen down with us. The FA Cup final vs Chelsea, the FA Cup semi final vs Liverpool, the horror show in Lisbon and many more decisive games can all be characterised by us looking frankly scared.

The problem of course is who do we get in who CAN take us to the next level? The romantic in me would like Laudrup, but whether that's realistic I don't know. This is the issue - how attractive are we? I think fairly; a regular top 6 team with a rich tradition in the self-dubbed "best league in the world" should be a fairly attractive proposition to most managers. But you could just as equally point to us and say that we're not that attractive at all. I fear we'll settle for an average manager, and if we get someone like O'Neill then fuck this shit.

I think reports of our demise will, as they usually are season after season, be greatly exaggerated. I personally think Moyes has fostered enough of a team spirit, togetherness and flat-out professionalism at the club that we won't suddenly collapse. I just can't see it at all. Is it a blow? Of course it is, losing your manager of 11 years is always going to be a blow because by the very fact he's there for 11 years, he'll have done a good job. But I'm just as much as seeing this as an opportunity and I don't think we should look at the future like it's the end of the world, providing we get the right man in.

New manager, then. What's one of them?

Whats the bid attraction with Moyes??    He's a dour miserable git and his achievements, measured in terms of trophies, are pretty much zilch

Read through the thread mate, plenty discussion about it earlier.

Good luck Neil, think your board will have to be willing to back the next man with some hard cash though if you want to get to that next level.

Of course. As I say, it's a big, big reason why we've been limited, but it does overshadow some of Moyes' own deficiencies.

As it happens, I have a feeling January of this year was the final straw. We had a chance to really give the top 4 a good run for their money and what did we do? Square root of fuck all. Would not be surprised at all if he thought, well, if they're not going to back me now, when the hell are they going to back me?

I think the fans will eventually find out what a miss Moyes will be for them. He might have taken Everton as far as they could, it's still a big achievement they are unlikely to replicate with another manager. Who can they realistically find that will work miracles with a league 1 transfer budget. It might be similar to those Arsenal fans who want Wenger gone. They won't know what hit them when they realised it's hard to get someone of the same ability and stability (yes, stability).

If Swansea offer a much bigger transfer kitty this summer to Laudrup (compared to Everton) then I see no reason for him to leave - they are not worlds apart however Everton are the bigger club. I reckon Laudrup can make Swansea better next season if he is allowed to spend as much as he needs.

Good luck Neil, think your board will have to be willing to back the next man with some hard cash though if you want to get to that next level.

It'll be Phil Neville man. :D

It'll be Phil Neville man. :D

:naughty:

If Swansea offer a much bigger transfer kitty this summer to Laudrup (compared to Everton) then I see no reason for him to leave - they are not worlds apart however Everton are the bigger club. I reckon Laudrup can make Swansea better next season if he is allowed to spend as much as he needs.

I think if any Everton fan expects Laudrup to move to us no questions asked, then they're demonstrating some unjustified arrogance. I'd like him here but whether we'd be able to get him is very questionable. He seems to have a nice gig at Swansea, just won them a trophy and has them playing good football. We're a bigger club, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'll suddenly jump ships.

I think if any Everton fan expects Laudrup to move to us no questions asked, then they're demonstrating some unjustified arrogance. I'd like him here but whether we'd be able to get him is very questionable. He seems to have a nice gig at Swansea, just won them a trophy and has them playing good football. We're a bigger club, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'll suddenly jump ships.

Yep, sensible assessment. Laudrup has a difficult decision in his near future, finding a club to step up to. Similar to Martinez although I would rather have Laudrup any day.

Agree with that, i feel the same way if we were to approach Laudrup i doubt he would jump at the chance and would have to take some careful consideration over his choice.

I expect to him stay at Swansea for at least another year regardless anyway.