Premier League survival or FA Cup?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Survival easily, relegation is humiliating.

Plus i'm not sure how enjoyable winning a cup would be if relegation followed immediately after, like it is with Wigan.

Good question.

If we went down, would we bounce straight back up? Would we do a Wolves/Leeds/Portsmouth and get relegated again? Even a Boro situation would be tough to take. All our players would leave regardless of winning a trophy. That league is a bit of a joke but how many people thought it would be so easy to get promoted again last time?

I'd love to say that I'd take the trophy but there is so much uncertainty with relegation, but look at all the lesser clubs that have won something recently.. It's hard to give a definite answer.

We've been relegated from the top flight four times since we last won the FA Cup. What use is all the money if you don't ever win anything?

Since Jimmy Scoular lifted the FA Cup in 1955, no fewer than THIRTY-THREE English and Welsh clubs have enjoyed major domestic cup success ahead of us, including these footballing backwaters: Coventry, Southampton, Norwich, Ipswich, Luton, Oxford, Swindon, Swansea, Stoke, Wolves, Leicester, Birmingham, Blackburn, 'Boro, Wimbledon, QPR, Portsmouth, Wigan and of course the mackems.

You could also add Burnley and Derby - who have won the League title since our 1927 triumph - to the following list of domestic cup winners since 1955:

15 Liverpool (8LC, 7FA)

13 Man Utd (4LC, 9FA)

11 Chelsea (4LC, 7FA)

10 Tottenham (4LC, 6FA)

9 Arsenal (2LC, 7FA)

6 Aston Villa (5LC, 1FA)

5 Nottm For (4LC, 1FA)

5 Man City (2LC, 3FA)

3 Leicester (3LC)

3 Wolves (2LC, 1FA)

3 West Ham (3FA)

3 Everton (3FA)

2 Birmingham (2LC)

2 Norwich (2LC)

2 WBA (1LC, 1FA)

2 Leeds (1LC, 1FA)

1 QPR (1LC)

1 Swindon (1LC)

1 Stoke (1LC)

1 Oxford (1LC)

1 Luton (1LC)

1 Sheff Wed (1LC)

1 Blackburn (1LC)

1 Middlesbrough (1LC)

1 Swansea (1LC)

1 Bolton (1FA)

1 mackems (1FA)

1 Southampton (1FA)

1 Ipswich (1FA)

1 Coventry (1FA)

1 Wimbledon (1FA)

1 Portsmouth (1FA)

1 Wigan Athletic (1FA)

There are two other current Premier League sides not to have lifted the League Cup or FA Cup since our last success; Reading and Fulham.

Not really a pet hate but :anguish:

Don't you crave the glory? It's a fucking joke man.

A Cup.

Although in fairness to Wigan, I can see why their fans might not agree. The difference is, if a Newcastle or a Villa go down, they're obviously going to come back at some point. Wigan might never come back.

Survival easily, relegation is humiliating.

Plus i'm not sure how enjoyable winning a cup would be if relegation followed immediately after, like it is with Wigan.

Aye.

Plus I'm used to us messing up the cups in the third/fourth round anyway. I'd be gutted if we were relegated again.

PL without doubt.

Would have said different a few years ago but sadly the cup just isn't what it once was. Weakened teams, empty stadiums, final played at 5.30 on a day when other matches take place too. Still like to win it though.

We've been relegated from the top flight four times since we last won the FA Cup. What use is all the money if you don't ever win anything?

Since Jimmy Scoular lifted the FA Cup in 1955, no fewer than THIRTY-THREE English and Welsh clubs have enjoyed major domestic cup success ahead of us, including these footballing backwaters: Coventry, Southampton, Norwich, Ipswich, Luton, Oxford, Swindon, Swansea, Stoke, Wolves, Leicester, Birmingham, Blackburn, 'Boro, Wimbledon, QPR, Portsmouth, Wigan and of course the mackems.

You could also add Burnley and Derby - who have won the League title since our 1927 triumph - to the following list of domestic cup winners since 1955:

15 Liverpool (8LC, 7FA)

13 Man Utd (4LC, 9FA)

11 Chelsea (4LC, 7FA)

10 Tottenham (4LC, 6FA)

9 Arsenal (2LC, 7FA)

6 Aston Villa (5LC, 1FA)

5 Nottm For (4LC, 1FA)

5 Man City (2LC, 3FA)

3 Leicester (3LC)

3 Wolves (2LC, 1FA)

3 West Ham (3FA)

3 Everton (3FA)

2 Birmingham (2LC)

2 Norwich (2LC)

2 WBA (1LC, 1FA)

2 Leeds (1LC, 1FA)

1 QPR (1LC)

1 Swindon (1LC)

1 Stoke (1LC)

1 Oxford (1LC)

1 Luton (1LC)

1 Sheff Wed (1LC)

1 Blackburn (1LC)

1 Middlesbrough (1LC)

1 Swansea (1LC)

1 Bolton (1FA)

1 mackems (1FA)

1 Southampton (1FA)

1 Ipswich (1FA)

1 Coventry (1FA)

1 Wimbledon (1FA)

1 Portsmouth (1FA)

1 Wigan Athletic (1FA)

There are two other current Premier League sides not to have lifted the League Cup or FA Cup since our last success; Reading and Fulham.

Not really a pet hate but :anguish:

Don't you crave the glory? It's a fucking joke man.

I note that we have done our best to keep good company with you in that our last win was only just after yours.

Seven times but not for almost 60 fucking years.

I voted to win a trophy. What is embarrassing is not getting relegated (done that) it's not winning a trophy since 1969 and domestically since longer than that. It's a disgraceful record for a club of our size and aspirations.

Guest neesy111

If you said this 20 years ago, I'd bet most answers would be FA cup.  Amazing what the advent of money in the game does for fans aspirations in football.

Guest firetotheworks

Does relegation have to be in the same season in this scenario? Can it be the next season? I'd possible take that. It's more the having no time to enjoy the victory that would stop me saying yes. I'd want to sit back and think 'what a fucking brilliant season!'

I mean, is Wigan winning the cup, played a week before the season ends, on the same day as other PL games, all that much to even care about any more?

Wasn't that only because of the Champions League final? I'm not saying it's right like.

I mean, is Wigan winning the cup, played a week before the season ends, on the same day as other PL games, all that much to even care about any more?

Wasn't that only because of the Champions League final? I'm not saying it's right like.

Was the same last year for some reason as well wasn't it? I can't remember why but it was definitely oddly timed. Absolutely kills the magic that it's not the full stop on the end of the season.

Guest firetotheworks

It's the new Wembley that's spoiled it for me. The old Wembley was shit for spectators, but there were some cracking matches there and Cardiff is just an excellent venue imo.

Unless we are talking a relegation that spells financial disaster and the possible end of our club as we know it, then its a no brainier for me. To all the people who would rather see us stay up, for what end? We are never going to challenge for the league, the best thing our club can hope for is to be winning trophies every now and then.

We have not won a trophy for 44 years. Another 20 or so and we will be talking about a whole generation of fans never seeing us do anything significant. Very surprised by the poll.

Guest pont-toon

Winning the cup, by a mile.

This, wouldnt even think about it. Far easier to get promoted than win a cup