2013/14 - Reasons for Positivity? UPDATE: Three!

Ketsbaia

If Pardew stays, next season looks a whole lot worse. But in the name of sanity and for the sake of this forum, we need a positive thread. A thread where we point out why next season could go better than expected. I’ve scraped together a few reasons:

1)  French players will have settled down

We bought 5 brilliant French players in January and threw them straight into a new league with no warning and no time to adapt. They’ve all looked good to some degree, so with a summer off and more time to get used to the Premier League, I think we’ll see them blossom and become the players their reputations suggested.

2) A summer of rest for Cabaye & Ben Arfa

Yohan has had a poor season riddled by injuries, depression and being used terribly by the manager. The first two can be cured by simply having a summer off. Cabaye & Ben Arfa both went to Euro 2012 last summer, before going straight into another PL season. Yohan, in particular, desperately needs some rest and family time. After that, we should see a happier, more effective midfielder.

3) New signings

Last summer went badly wrong. Ashley thought he could get away with minimal additions to the team, a decision that backfired spectacularly and almost relegated us. That lesson has been learnt and I think we’ll make significant additions to the squad, improving the quality and depth of it. Players like Carroll, Aubameyang, Remy, Belhanda & Sakho have been linked.

4) Playing to Pardew’s strengths

I detest Alan Pardew but, if we’re sticking with him, at least sign players that are useful to his archaic tactics. A tall striker would give an outlet to our hoofball and add a set piece threat. Also, even though our fans and players crave European football, Pardew clearly couldn’t cope with it. With more time to prepare and concentrate on league games, we might just be closer to our 5th placed season than this year’s disaster.

5) A domestic cup run

Wigan and Swansea have just shown it can be done, like the Portsmouths and Birminghams of recent years. Without Europe there to confuse Pardew, he might actually go for a cup run.

So there’s 5 reasons to be optimistic. Any more?

Good idea, think you've covered them all there n all.

I'll look forward to next season because that's just what I do as a football fan, albeit it usually leads to crushing disappointment. Plus unless there is wholesale exits, which I can't see happening - a lot of the players are on to a good thing here financially and profile wise, I just don't believe it can be any worse than this given the resources available.

And as Dave says if they are we'll probably have a new manager if we haven't already.

1 - Pardew will make them all leave

2 - They hate Pardew and won't be here

3 - No-one will move because of Pardew

4 - Pardew has no strengths

5 - Pardew is shit at cups

Guest icemanblue

Good stuff. Next season can't possibly be as bad, and if it threatens to be then I think we'll have a new manager anyway.

This is it, like. For all the doom, gloom and hysterics, we're still in the Premier League. I'll be looking forward to this season as much as any, because I love going to and watching our games.

We've got the whole summer ahead to make whatever changes we need to make. But, if that doesn't include the manager, there's hope that the club may have learned to start being more acommodating of his strengths.

Good thread. :thup:

Good stuff. Next season can't possibly be as bad, and if it threatens to be then I think we'll have a new manager anyway.

This is it, like. For all the doom, gloom and hysterics, we're still in the Premier League. I'll be looking forward to this season as much as any, because I love going to and watching our games.

We've got the whole summer ahead to make whatever changes we need to make. But, if that doesn't include the manager, there's hope that the club may have learned to start being more acommodating of his strengths.

Spot on.

I see your point, but can we really be happy with this? As in should this be considered an acheivment? Is this what we are now to expect?

That sounds right. No more benefit of the doubt for Pards.

Hopefully the fifth place last season will still be enough to a. keep the important team members and b. attract good players on the assumption that this season has been the exception not the rule. Another underperforming season and we'll struggle to keep HBA, Krul etc.

Guest icemanblue

I see your point, but can we really be happy with this? As in should this be considered an acheivment? Is this what we are now to expect?

There's a very valid case for cracking out the anguish to that, mate. I wasn't talking about expectations, achievements, or anything else. This isn't the thread for it. Simply stating a fact: We are in the Premier League (say, we are Premier League).

This is certainly clutching at straws - but I was thinking the other day... these players; Cabaye, Gouffran, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Debuchy, etc - they've never been subject to a relegation battle in their careers (I don't think?). Last season may well have served to add another string to their bows. Sure, we should never have been down there in the first place, but the fact is we have successfully 'won' a relegation battle, and it might have toughened them up in the long-run. A slight bolster to their mentality could work for us in seasons to come.

However, generally speaking I can't see anything more than mid-table mediocrity if Pardew is still here.

Guest Dontooner

This is certainly clutching at straws - but I was thinking the other day... these players; Cabaye, Gouffran, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Debuchy, etc - they've never been subject to a relegation battle in their careers (I don't think?). Last season may well have served to add another string to their bows. Sure, we should never have been down there in the first place, but the fact is we have successfully 'won' a relegation battle, and it might have toughened them up in the long-run. A slight bolster to their mentality could work for us in seasons to come.

However, generally speaking I can't see anything more than mid-table mediocrity if Pardew is still here.

That would be quite a achievement knowing Pardew, his excuses of other teams strengthening and the league being more competitive will be anticipated. 

Guest hydeous

If the season gets off to a good start, with no crazy injuries like this season, I think we might see a repeat of 2011-12.

I would still like to see more good depth in some positions, more attacking football / change in manager / Pardew changing his mentality, another top class striker, maybe a shake up of the coaching staff.

There's a very valid case for cracking out the anguish to that, mate. I wasn't talking about expectations, achievements, or anything else. This isn't the thread for it. Simply stating a fact: We are in the Premier League (say, we are Premier League).

Nah I know, I agree. But fuck me, I'm not hanging around to squeeze out little wins to justify positivity. I'll always be positive, but there's nowt wrong with haranguing people when something's shit. Just seems a bit of a time waste to me. As Stu says, my life must be shit, I've got to fill it with more meaning.

Guest Phil K

Still suffering from revulsion and anger at two games in particular - v Makems 0-3 and even more, the Liverpool 0-6 debacle to feel any positivity at the moment.

Hope I can come round to feeling some enthusiasm before start of new season. (Probably will of course - nature of the NUFC supporting beast) Think it's Pardew being here next season thats blocking any positives, TBH

Guest icemanblue

Nah I know, I agree. But fuck me, I'm not hanging around to squeeze out little wins to justify positivity. I'll always be positive, but there's nowt wrong with haranguing people when something's shit. Just seems a bit of a time waste to me. As Stu says, my life must be shit, I've got to fill it with more meaning.

I'm not being deliberately obtuse here, but, I don't know what you mean from that post. Are you saying I'm doing those things? Apologies if I've read it completely wrong, or I'm being a bit thick.

We have a very good set of players, many of them are also likeable.

We have another season of PL football to look forward to. Not an achievement but something to be thankful for at the same time.

The summer should be pretty good now we've survived. Reports of all our good players leaving are massively exaggerated IMO.

We're not out of next season's cups yet.