Andy Carroll (now playing for Amiens SC)

Rich

About 5 years ago I went to one of evening with Jimmy Greaves nights and he was brilliant. Sadly not long after he had the stroke which pretty much ended the man we knew.

Anyway on his show he talked about Andy Carroll and what he said sticks in my mind. '32 fucking million he said, that's ridiculous.  You can't coach a striker on anticipation, they've either got or they haven't and Andy Carroll hasn't.  He only tries to get on the end of something AFTER the ball has been played.  He never anticipates what might happen and make runs into those positions. Yes he's big, yes he's a handful but he can always be stopped because you know what he's going to do'

And so it went on, and when I watch Andy Carroll Jimmy Greaves was spot on

Tbf, Carroll was never that type of striker. Jimmy is talking about pure goal scoring instinct which you would get from a Lineker or Owen, I think Carroll was always more of a physical battering ram type who would enable goal pinchers like Nolan to pick up a fair few. Gayle is the closest we've got on our books to an actual out and out goal scorer, but his finishing isn't up to standard in the Premier.

Toon fans set for early Christmas present as Newcastle and Geordie star Andy Carroll set to make his triumphant return. Even the club have gotten in the festive spirits by releasing a festive themed Andy Carroll jumper for low price of £70 which they club are encouraging fans to buy to show their support to the former England and current Newcastle and Geordie star.

He's actually gone below even my incredibly low expectations. I thought he'd hardly be fit but would be quite effective when he did come on.

In hindsight I'm not sure why I thought this.

But we get to sing "He's one of our owwwwwwnnnnnn."

Cracking signing.

Feel for Joelinton a bit, he’s been thrown under a bus being expected to lead the line on his own with no capable replacement or backup to take the pressure off him if he needed taken out.

Injury prone Carroll and Championship standard Gayle. Absolute wank, but expected.

Cracking signing.

Feel for Joelinton a bit, he’s been thrown under a bus being expected to lead the line on his own with no capable replacement or backup to take the pressure off him if he needed taken out.

Injury prone Carroll and Championship standard Gayle. Absolute w***, but expected.

Don't forget Muto who I forgot existed

I couldn’t fathom why some were so excited by this like

I said that at the time - the hysteria was baffling especially as he only played 19 times in the Premier League for us previously and with his recent (well, last five years!) injury record!

Cracking signing.

Injury prone Carroll and Championship standard Gayle. Absolute wank, but expected.

Similar to what we did with Mitro in a way, far too much responsibility on a new young signing without the record to suggest he can take it.

Waste of fucking space really.  Only here cos he's "one of us".  No other premiership club would touch him.  only nufc would get a perma-crock and see it as some no-risk masterstroke.

Like mentioned above we could all see this coming but what really boils my piss is that it was reported (can't specifically remember where tho) that when Bruce was appointed one of the first things he did was inquire about Carroll's availability/status.  REALLY?  Appointed to manage a team in the english premiership, and even with budget restrictions imposed from Baron Greenback and his minion, one of your first transfer targets is this washed up has-been?  is that the extent of your knowledge of strikers within the game?  Arrgghhh!!!  :suicide:

To be honest I think that Rondon would look crap being left on his own up front under Bruces set up

Rondon can still jump for the long punts from the back. If it's true that Carroll can't even jump high any more, then hard to see what he's been brought in for other than be a drinking buddy for Bruce and keep the mongs on the terraces happy with the odd wave from the subs bench.