Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

With a good manager it wouldn't be beyond the realms of fantasy that the service from our midfielders improves and Cisse and Bent score goals.... together.

That's just the problem though I suppose.

Guest chopey

Don't worry lads our Pardew and Kinnear can transform any of our current players into any position I remember when they transformed Steve Howey from a striker to a centre half

Bent will take shola's place in the match day squad. don't think he'll be  a starter - initially anyway.

pardew has talked about competition for cisse rather than support. Simonthec Untbird has made up that story.

Guest Phil K

I have no problem that Bent and Cisse could get plenty of goals forming a good partnership BUT it depends on good managing (impossible with this pillock) and Bent not waving a sick note too often

Bent won't come to sit on the bench

Then HE has to make sure he's producing. Nor is he likely to get the same money as he was on either

He ISN'T a big enough name to make demands.

I'm saying that's how it'll be sold to him coming, yeah can then get relegated to the bench.

Can't see how Cisse and Bent can form a partnership at all tbh. Neither can hold the ball up, both want to be doing the finishing.

I actually wouldn't mind a 4-4-2 if it meant Sissoko going wide and Jonas being f***ed off. At least we'd have 11 players on the pitch.

I wouldn't mind that if it was Gouffran and Bent/Cisse up front not Bent and Cisse, he's more suited. Still think that wastes Ben Arfa and Cabaye isn't mobile enough imo but it is a viable option

I like Gouffran as he's quick and works hard but he creates fuck all and isn't half the finisher Bent is.

Yep. Gouffran's a very intelligent player, but without goals he's in danger of becoming our Ali Aliadiere.

I like Gouffran as he's quick and works hard but he creates f*** all and isn't half the finisher Bent is.

Yep. Gouffran's a very intelligent player, but without goals he's in danger of becoming our Ali Aliadiere.

Gouffran did score 3 goals in 14 premier league matches last season, playing almost entirely out wide.  While not an amazing return that isn't all that bad for a man changing country and in a team playing really poorly.  He also created a few chances with his running such as against Chelsea and put a hell of a lot of work rate in.  While he wasn't as good as Sissoko was at times, he probably was pretty consistently decent.

"Try" and keep it tight, and hopefully some magic from HBA will get the ball in to the box a couple of times per game, a couple of natural scorers in there might score from these few chances and win us the game 1-0 or 2-1. Do not move when HBA has the ball, hold your positions just in case if Hatem loses it. FFS!! Give me a razor blade.

I hope we don't see Bent and Cisse in tandem, but I'm not very confident. Pardew does seem to favour tall-ish strikers, and has a history of trying to get them to play together.

A Bellamy-Beardsley type can make a big difference, but we don't seem to get linked with that sort very often.

The Bent argument is pretty straight forward.

He's an excellent finisher, and that doesn't really change no matter how s*** the team he is playing in. The problem is that that is ALL he does. If you are going to play Bent, you have to shape your whole front six around him, because otherwise, he might as well not bother turning up

He won't do anything else, he won't drop back and fetch the ball, he won't hold it up, he won't lead the line, he won't do any of that, but if you want a striker who will play off the last defender, and apply the finishing touch, he's your man.

The problem is that football has changed an awful lot the last few years, and players like Bent are very much out of fashion. That's why Lambert didn't use him. He's not an idiot. When we were struggling for points, he dropped a player we'd paid 18m for and replaced him with a kid we'd bought from Belgium for far less.

There was lots of p*ss take from the likes of that brainless turd Lawrenson about what the f*** are we doing yada yada yada, but it was quite clearly the right decision, and the sign of a manager who was progressive rather than regressive.

Darren Bent's problem now is that most, if not all, of the top flight sides have moved on, and will not play a brand of football which will suit him.

He hasn't become s*** at what he does. The problem is that hardly anyone wants a player who does what he does any more.

not a massive bent fan, but i have a slight issue with this bit, brummie.  you stayed up by the skin of your teeth.  would it have been just as clear if you  had gone down by a point, or a goal?  and, given that benteke may well leave, are you completely sure getting rid of bent is the right thing for your club?  the next 7m quid striker you pull in may not have the same impact as the guy chelsea and spurs are trying to take away?