The Official Alan Pardew Excuses Thread

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

:lol:

I don't mind anyone expressing an opinion that Pardew's shite. I don't think he's that great myself. It's the self-congratulatory mocking of minor things he says, that are the same as almost any manager, that I find irritating. There are plenty of actual reasons to criticise him, why bother with made up ones?

It's not 'made up' just because other managers say it. It's still funny/infuriating.

I know they can, but come on.

Stuff like - OMG Pardew says playing at Chelsea two days after an away trip in Europe is hard, what a fool! Every manager on the planet thinks this.

Anyway, it doesn't matter really, I just think it's a shame that such a big section of our fans love to par eachother on the back for how clever they can be while sniggering at the manager. And for extremely minor stuff that is more than common in football.

Well I think you've simplified the point in your first sentence. Where I think a lot of the discussion comes from is the fact that his excuses actually seem to assume a certain level of stupidity in the people they're aimed at (us). Without going into detail, I think it's fair to say he used Europa League as an excuse far too much last season, given the amount of players actually participating in it as well as whichever League game came next. People who are invested in the club financially and emotionally, don't like to be treated as idiots, so it's only natural excuses like Europe and training ground spies are picked up on.

Personally I think it's a shame that the guy gets such a free ride from most of the fans and the press, there's nothing shameful in calling it the way you see it. I don't get the 'back patting' thing at all, and seriously what's with the type of language you're using? No-one's being 'sly' or 'sniggering'. We're openly laughing at him, because he's fucking ridiculous.

Some people believe our players are all worldies tbh. :lol:

A lot of the time there's a reason they cost £5m.

People wouldn't believe how good they actually are, if they were setup correctly imo.

Our players really aren't all that tbh. What we could do with is a good manager to overcome this and at least get them playing as a team.

I honestly think it doesn't matter how many new signings we throw at this team, it's still not going to solve the problem of basic shape and playing style. That is where the manager usually makes the difference.

Personally I think it's a shame that the guy gets such a free ride from most of the fans and the press, there's nothing shameful in calling it the way you see it. I don't get the 'back patting' thing at all, and seriously what's with the type of language you're using? No-one's being 'sly' or 'sniggering'. We're openly laughing at him, because he's fucking ridiculous.

Fair play, if that's true I'm just wrong. It's just very unappealing to me when a group of fans take turns to laugh at stuff which (IMO) is very often perfectly normal stuff for a manager to say. This is separate issue to whether you think Pardew's any good or not.

To me, it just comes across as smug and willfully ignorant, and that people are doing it just to have another dig at the manager. This is just my opinion, obviously things can come across strangely in writing, so maybe that's it.

Guest neesy111

That's wishful thinking. There's still not nearly enough creativity in that side.

Not enough creativity and goals.  I'd bet not one midfielder gets past 10 goals this coming season and only 2 get past 5.

That's wishful thinking. There's still not nearly enough creativity in that side.

I don't mean to keep doing this but its hard to be creative when Pardew wants the team to be static and not allow movement.

I don't see much more creativity and goals in Swansea, Everton and basically any other side outside the usual lot.

But they have managers which allow these players to shine in their natural roles.

It's picking up the slack where the footballing fraternity have ignored. The guy's a clown and the easier we can make it for journos to pinch quotes off here the better. Anything to facilitate any of the bastards going. Whilst Ashley's here it's only going to get worse before it gets any better and I won't knock anyone who wants to do stuff like this. Following the name change, double kinnear and blatant disregard for anything the fans care about it beggars belief that people are willing to give others grief about a single thread in order to appear level-headed or remain un-RTG. This bellend is reapiing what he sows and an internet thread lets him off pretty lightly doesn't it?

Fair play, if that's true I'm just wrong. It's just very unappealing to me when a group of fans take turns to laugh at stuff which (IMO) is very often perfectly normal stuff for a manager to say. This is separate issue to whether you think Pardew's any good or not.

To me, it just comes across as smug and willfully ignorant, and that people are doing it just to have another dig at the manager. This is just my opinion, obviously things can come across strangely in writing, so maybe that's it.

You had a problem when people weren't happy with Pardew saying he didn't care if Arsenal beat us 4-0 and thank God we weren't in Europe next season. Were they perfectly normal things for a manager to say or worthy of criticism and mockery? Apologies, I don't have a tape recording of it btw.

I don't mean to keep doing this but its hard to be creative when Pardew wants the team to be static and not allow movement.

I don't see much more creativity and goals in Swansea, Everton and basically any other side outside the usual lot.

But they have managers which allow these players to shine in their natural roles.

agree with mole, as it stands there's none but it doesn't mean it's not possible to get it working...start by working on getting midfielders and fullbacks beyond the strikers and/or person who has the ball

Pard02 described last season for me in his report of last night, knocked it about ok for a bit but devoid of purpose, when someone has the ball the others stand and watch him to see if he scores

this is down to shit coaching, i also think if cabaye leaves he'll turn out to be a better midfielder than many are giving him credit for with us

You had a problem when people weren't happy with Pardew saying he didn't care if Arsenal beat us 4-0 and thank God we weren't in Europe next season. Were they perfectly normal things for a manager to say or worthy of criticism and mockery? Apologies, I don't have a tape recording of it btw.

I don't think it's worth me trying to re-argue all those points again.

Guest icemanblue

agree with mole, as it stands there's none but it doesn't mean it's not possible to get it working...start by working on getting midfielders and fullbacks beyond the strikers and/or person who has the ball

Pard02 described last season for me in his report of last night, knocked it about ok for a bit but devoid of purpose, when someone has the ball the others stand and watch him to see if he scores

this is down to shit coaching, i also think if cabaye leaves he'll turn out to be a better midfielder than many are giving him credit for with us

I wish I could just ignore this, but it's too tempting to pick up on the innacuracies. I guess it's in the spirit of the thread. :lol:

The exact things I've highlighted here have been happening during the preseason games, man.

:lol: Areet then.

I'm not trying to avoid the issue, it's just genuinely too much like hard work to go through it all again.

this is down to s*** coaching, i also think if cabaye leaves he'll turn out to be a better midfielder than many are giving him credit for with us

I wish I could just ignore this, but it's too tempting to pick up on the innacuracies. I guess it's in the spirit of the thread. :lol:

The exact things I've highlighted here have been happening during the preseason games, man.

Aye i did hear that, which is very promising.

From what i hear we have been playing some nice stuff but lack cutting edge upfront, hopefully Cisse and Ben Arfa getting some more games under their belt and the likes of Remy will improve that.

I have to say what i have heard has pleased me in the main, but i can't really comment on it properly until the season starts.

Personally I think it's a shame that the guy gets such a free ride from most of the fans and the press, there's nothing shameful in calling it the way you see it. I don't get the 'back patting' thing at all, and seriously what's with the type of language you're using? No-one's being 'sly' or 'sniggering'. We're openly laughing at him, because he's f***ing ridiculous.

I'm not trying to avoid the issue, it's just genuinely too much like hard work to go through it all again.

Goooooooooo on, one more time, they are calling for an encore...

Guest icemanblue

this is down to s*** coaching, i also think if cabaye leaves he'll turn out to be a better midfielder than many are giving him credit for with us

Aye i did hear that, which is very promising.

From what i hear we have been playing some nice stuff but lack cutting edge upfront, hopefully Cisse and Ben Arfa getting some more games under their belt and the likes of Remy will improve that.

I have to say what i have heard has pleased me in the main, but i can't really comment on it properly until the season starts.

That's what I don't get about this huge freak out over last night's result. A lot of the reports from pre-season have been positive. We seemed to be moving in the right direction by addressing the shortcomings of last season. Now, because we didn't beat the 'third tier Scottish team', we're back to square one. It's fucking bipolar. :lol:

Personally I think it's a shame that the guy gets such a free ride from most of the fans and the press, there's nothing shameful in calling it the way you see it. I don't get the 'back patting' thing at all, and seriously what's with the type of language you're using? No-one's being 'sly' or 'sniggering'. We're openly laughing at him, because he's f***ing ridiculous.

Tbh I thought it was a valid question, I'm sick of hearing this "All managers say the same stuff" bollocks. For a start, I've never known an NUFC manager talk anywhere near as much deliberately misleading drivel as this bloke.

I'm really not bothered about the result.

Some of Pardew's selections do concern me as it will probably be something close to the team we start the season with but that aside i'm reasonably positive about the new season.

No idea why, but f*ck it.

Tbh I thought it was a valid question, I'm sick of hearing this "All managers say the same stuff" bollocks. For a start, I've never known an NUFC manager talk anywhere near as much deliberately misleading drivel as this bloke.

It's a totally valid question, I don't deny that. Just we've debated every individual quote to death and I can't face it again.

That's what I don't get about this huge freak out over last night's result. A lot of the reports from pre-season have been positive. We seemed to be moving in the right direction by addressing the shortcomings of last season. Now, because we didn't beat the 'third tier Scottish team', we're back to square one. It's fucking bipolar. :lol:

again, it's not, he's got previous for his fear-based approach...it's very encouraging what you're saying but whether he's the balls to implement a passing game in the PL is another matter, in 2.5 years he's not had the stones for it

also given the standard of opposition there's a strong chance we played some nice stuff 'cause they were just shit, but then i'll not take anything away from the guy as it may all be down to pardew and maybe he does have a plan

i reiterate, nothing would make me happier than if he does