The Battle For More Points than 2010/11 - SUCCESS!

Taylor Swift

Two seasons ago we had the best defence in the league up to about december, or near enough. Until Steven Taylor went pop against Chelsea we were conceding the fewest goals any of us could ever remember, but nicking games by the odd goal. It was new and very different to for us and felt brilliant.

Don't get me wrong i'm thrilled with this season so far. But it didn't start great, in fact many including me thought we'd struggle. So that's probably why the buzz isn't what it was a couple of years back. Then there's the total lack of confidence in our owner, and the belief that we're a £10m to £20m investment from a really good side.

We're still winning games during a barren spell for Remy, which bodes well for the games ahead.

You mean we can actually win games and not rely on Remy's goals like previously suggested? No that's forbidden talk, we only win matches because of Remy's goals  :iamatwat:

On a serious note though, you're right the fact basically our main goalscorer is now in a poor spell but we are still winning. You can't imagine Remy not popping up with a goal or two sooner or later. If his form doesn't pick up, we've got options in Ben Arfa/Cisse to come in, that's the positive thing about this current squad, we've got good options who can all play different roles in different formations but not lose rhythm.

That's actually insane. As good as this season is feeling, it doesn't seem to feel anywhere near as exciting as that season felt. Anyone else? Did the unbeaten start give an extra feel to it?

As the others said - the great start had an impact. But the other big difference for me is a sense that finishing 5th or 5th is often not a reward, but rather a punishment due to the turd that is the Europa League.

That's actually insane. As good as this season is feeling, it doesn't seem to feel anywhere near as exciting as that season felt. Anyone else? Did the unbeaten start give an extra feel to it?

That season came as a big surprise to me as i didn't think we would improve that quickly, so the shock factor for me made it better. I fancied our chances of competing with the best this season even after last years abysmal run. This is more of a relief feeling than a shock, both tremendous though.

As the others said - the great start had an impact. But the other big difference for me is a sense that finishing 5th or 5th is often not a reward, but rather a punishment due to the turd that is the Europa League.

I don't see why. We got to the later stages last time round while playing youngsters in the earlier rounds. It's a great chance to give some of them some first team action even if the manager feels it's a hindrance.

We're still winning games during a barren spell for Remy, which bodes well for the games ahead.

You mean we can actually win games and not rely on Remy's goals like previously suggested? No that's forbidden talk, we only win matches because of Remy's goals  :iamatwat:

On a serious note though, you're right the fact basically our main goalscorer is now in a poor spell but we are still winning. You can't imagine Remy not popping up with a goal or two sooner or later. If his form doesn't pick up, we've got options in Ben Arfa/Cisse to come in, that's the positive thing about this current squad, we've got good options who can all play different roles in different formations but not lose rhythm.

We've had a great start, but I still think we look a bit powder puff up front. Either Cisse needs to be in the first team and scoring goals or we could do with another striker to take the load off Remy. With the start we've had, January could be a great time to bring one in to push on rather than making signings to stay clear of the relegation zone like last season.

We've had a great start, but I still think we look a bit powder puff up front. Either Cisse needs to be in the first team and scoring goals or we could do with another striker to take the load off Remy. With the start we've had, January could be a great time to bring one in to push on rather than making signings to stay clear of the relegation zone like last season.

We could try Gouffran up front? Oh no he had that (not even one full) game through the middle and wasn't excellent.

:troll:

I think if a deal is done, it will be Gomis. Other than that i can't see us bringing anyone in but not selling any major players either. Ashley does like a January bargain though so you never know who might pop up. Can't see any major players leaving, couple of back ups out on loan maybe.

Still haven't give up hope on Cisse, think he may have a big part to play in this side second half of the season and will pop up with some important goals.

Yes - the lack of a decent second striker or target man is what is going to let us down. A couple of good signings would see us definitely challenging for Top 6 but if we don't get them and lose Cabaye, anywhere between 12th and 9th is likely and worse if we get a bad run of injuries to key players.

I'm starting to get pretty wound up by the media and talk in shows saying we shouldn't bother with going for a Europa League spot because it will ruin our following season in the league. What?! So teams should aim for 7th or 8th and not bother to put up a further challenge into the top 5/6?? Where's the fun/logic/ambition in that? Away trips around Europe are what makes it all worth it as a football fan for me. Those trips leave long lasting memories for both the club and the supporters' lives forever. They are brilliant.

The way I see it is that if you make the Europa League through your league finish, you're better than the majority of the league. Don't cry about this and wish you had finished 3 places below and moan about how small your squad is, go for it and push on for the next year to do even better. Invest in the squad, ensure you have a solid back up, let yourself test your youngsters and give them a chance. Surely the idea in football is that you are always trying to push onto the next level? You might not always be able to push on quickly but if you solidify yourself in a decent position, you always have that scope to do better with the right decisions in the following seasons.

Get Europa League, use it properly, enjoy it and look to use the experience to improve for the future. If you can't handle the Europa League, how will you ever handle Champions League games?

I'm starting to get pretty wound up by the media and talk in shows saying we shouldn't bother with going for a Europa League spot because it will ruin our following season in the league. What?! So teams should aim for 7th or 8th and not bother to put up a further challenge into the top 5/6?? Where's the fun/logic/ambition in that? Away trips around Europe are what makes it all worth it as a football fan for me. Those trips leave long lasting memories for both the club and the supporters' lives forever. They are brilliant.

The way I see it is that if you make the Europa League through your league finish, you're better than the majority of the league. Don't cry about this and wish you had finished 3 places below and moan about how small your squad is, go for it and push on for the next year to do even better. Invest in the squad, ensure you have a solid back up, let yourself test your youngsters and give them a chance. Surely the idea in football is that you are always trying to push onto the next level? You might not always be able to push on quickly but if you solidify yourself in a decent position, you always have that scope to do better with the right decisions in the following seasons.

Get Europa League, use it properly, enjoy it and look to use the experience to improve for the future. If you can't handle the Europa League, how will you ever handle Champions League games?

http://www.themag.co.uk/assets/MA002_Mike-Ashley_Newcastle_United_NUFC.jpg

(I agree btw. Just not the scope of the man's ambition.)

Yeah, to be honest I'd rather win the Europa League than any domestic cup.

We could try Gouffran up front? Oh no he had that (not even one full) game through the middle and wasn't excellent.

:troll:

I could be wrong but I think Pards wants his target man to be of the bigger variety. Gouffran's got plenty of qualities but aerial prowess isn't one of them.

I think there's a lot of reasons that 11/12 felt better. The unbeaten start is one factor. Pardew was still an unknown quantity who hadn't really had a bad run yet. Ashley looked like he was finally learning from his mistakes. The end of the season was incredible.

This season we know Pardew has his limitations. Ashley is a huge wanker and Kinnear is still floating about somewhere. Most of us don't believe Ashley wants to buy any players ever again. That's probably why it doesn't feel as good.

I think there's a lot of reasons that 11/12 felt better. The unbeaten start is one factor. Pardew was still an unknown quantity who hadn't really had a bad run yet. Ashley looked like he was finally learning from his mistakes. The end of the season was incredible.

This season we know Pardew has his limitations. Ashley is a huge wanker and Kinnear is still floating about somewhere. Most of us don't believe Ashley wants to buy any players ever again. That's probably why it doesn't feel as good.

This year there's still a lingering sense of "when's it gonna go wrong?" You cant blame people for that, having been teased (then burned) so many times in the last half-decade.

That's the difference between this season and 11/12. It was there to some extent in that year, of course, but really I think we were just enjoying the ride and had fewer expectations - or, rather, less knowledge of the squad's capabilities. Like you say, Pardew, and lots of players, were unknown quantities. It was difficult to formulate any real expectations until comfortably after New Year.

This year, we know the squad intimately and are fully aware of what they're capable of. Higher expectations = more anxiety. Hence predictions that we'll lose to Palace cos we surely can't keep this up. That's how I see it, anyway.

I get the feeling that as long as the club doesn't cost him any further money, signings have nowt to do with Ashley. He has his man in place he trusts (fuck knows why) to do the job with what the club generates. If we don't buy players, it is either because we haven't the cash (which you'd struggle to believe), or Kinnear is at fault.

Stoke swap places with Villa, other than that, no major changes.

Rolling League Table

(Cardiff = Wigan, Hull = Reading, Crystal Palace = QPR)

CLUB.....................................Gd................Pts................Difference (Pts compared to 2012-13)

Manchester City....................+56...............84.....................6

Chelsea.................................+29...............75.....................0

Manchester United................+31...............73....................-16

Tottenham Hotspur...............+6...............71.....................-1

Liverpool...............................+34...............69.....................8

Arsenal..................................+30...............69.....................-4

Everton.................................+23...............68.....................5

Southampton........................+1.................50.....................9

Stoke City.............................-4..................50.....................8

NEWCASTLE UNITED.............-13................48.....................7

Norwich City..........................-22................48....................3

Aston Villa.............................-10..................47.....................6

Swansea...............................-11................42.....................-4

Fulham..................................-13................42.....................-1

WBA......................................-9..................39....................-10

West Ham.............................-16................39.....................-7

Cardiff City............................-25................39.....................3

Sunderland...........................-20.................36....................-3

Hull City.................................-23................34.....................6

Crystal Palace.......................-39.................18....................-7

To be in a better position now compared to where we were at this point in the 2011/12 season is nothing short of a great achievement, especially when you consider the pre-season pessimism from the majority of us. Of course, there's still that element of dodgyness in our gameplans here and there but really we just have to keep up (what is really) decent work and hope to f*** there's not another act of idiocy from Ashley and Kinnear.

The fact we've a few players weighing in this season is a huge bonus, carrying threat in more areas now. Add to that we're achieving it via genuinely good attacking play, rather than the odd hit & hope & Ba scores for the first half of the 5th season. Our midfield/defensive options are stronger also, as said would just be useful to take some of the pressure off Remy upfront.

Aye.